Homemade Foods

Options
Actually, I am asking this question for a friend. She used to be on MFP, but she has Celiac disease, and cooks most of her food from scratch, using her imagination. These are her exact words (I told her I'd ask and see if I got any suggestions):

I started using it a while ago, but stopped because I do a lot of cooking - homemade recipes and got frustrated with entering those kinds of things. For example, tonight I am making for dinner a spinach and roasted vegetable salad with dijon balsamic glaze. How on earth do I enter something like that?? Guess how much of each individual ingredient I will be eating? That seems like a pain. It's easy for cereal and eggs and fruits and raw veggies....but it's seems complicated for home cooking. Am I missing something?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I think you might be missing the recipe creator! Go to "food" then "recipe", then click the button to create a new recipe. Enter the ingredients you're using and indicate the number of servings, then save it and add it to your diary. We cook almost every night of the week so I use this a lot.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Enter this into recipe section...I do this often when making meals at home. As far as serving size, you kinda have to imagine...like for instance, if using a 9 x 13 pan, picture squares cut up in the pan and count that many as serving size. I have a very large Pampered Chef measuring container that I use when making soup so I know how many cups total for the recipe. I find the recipe thing quite helpful!
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I utilize the Recipe function MFP provides and it works very well for me. I cook almost everything my husband I eat so I wouldn't be able to use MFP with it. I cook everything just like normal, many times making it up as I go along and usually preparing enough for 2-3 days, but I measure everything and take note of what goes in. Then I portion everything out into single-serve dishes we can either take to work or microwave at home. After I'm done cooking, I go enter the recipe and number of portions into MFP and let it calculate the calories and macros. Then, I'm able to plan out all the snacks, drinks, etc. I end up consuming alongside the meals for the entire day. It seems like a lot of work but I've gotten used it and I do repeat recipes so it's gotten easier the more I do it. I've only been on MFP a few months but before joining I used an online recipe calculator to do the same thing and kept track of calories in my head -but it wasn't near as easy as MFP.
  • cherylastone1
    cherylastone1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will let her know - maybe she will get back on!
  • trishka48
    trishka48 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a recipe thing! Oh, how this will free up some time and be awesome! Thanks guys!
  • cherylastone1
    cherylastone1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys!