Zumba Questions

Options
So I just ordered zumba and im really exciting to get started on that! But question, I heard results are good from doing zumba, but how do you log your calories for that? Zumba isnt in the exercise list and not really sure how to log that. And for people who do Zumba do you eat all your calories back? Thanks :)

Replies

• AleahTheLoser
    Options
    Go to zumbacalories.com and it will calculate for you. Then you can add it to your exercises! That's what I did. Have fun! :smile:
  • bskupien
    bskupien Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I love Zumba. Such a fun workout. I've only done in-person classes, never any videos. You'll have to let me know how the videos are. I log it as "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist," although I do wish there was a Zumba option. I usually eat some of my Zumba calories back, as I do with all my exercise. Not all of them though unless I'm truly hungry. Hope that helps!
  • stefizzle9109
    Options
    In person classes were a little too expensive, but I found the set for 60 dollars and me and my friend are splitting the cost! Thanks a ton :)
  • bskupien
    bskupien Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's cool I didn't know about that website. I just checked it out though and I think it overestimates the amount of calories burned during Zumba. It's telling me I would burn 150-200 more calories an hour than MFP tells me for dancing.
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    letmebeda1_wechange Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    they are so much fun, enjoy. i do them at home and great idea with the zumbacalories.com. i don't eat if i'm not hungry. i'll have a protein drink i'm very low on calories
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM --one day I burned 590 cals w/ my max hr at 187 in one hour and today I burned 428 cals w/ a max hr of 162 in an hour.

According to the zumba calorie calculators my low intensity would be 613 cals.... With my hr at 187 and 162 I definetly was not at low intensity.

If I did not have a HR monitor I would use the low intensity option and only consume half of those cals. Just my two cents.

Good luck!
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have never done the videos, but I do go to classes regularly. I wear a HRM and usually burn anywhere from 600-675. I usually don't eat my calories back ( I am a nursing mom so I get more calories that usually works for me). Zumba is so much fun enjoy!
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options
    Go to zumbacalories.com and it will calculate for you. Then you can add it to your exercises! That's what I did. Have fun! :smile:

Ditto! It's all about body weight, intensity, and minutes. Remember, Zumba is a party!! If you don't feel motivated enough with the game, try a drop in class somewhere. In class is awesome as far as energy and motivation!
  • mistress_kay
    mistress_kay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's cool I didn't know about that website. I just checked it out though and I think it overestimates the amount of calories burned during Zumba. It's telling me I would burn 150-200 more calories an hour than MFP tells me for dancing.

Mine was relatively right-on for me. ZumbaCalories tells me I should burn about 630 for Zumba, and my monitor says I burn about 690. I'm assuming some of those calories are from the drive to and from the gym, so it's about dead-on for me depending on how the instructor teaches. There's one instructor at my university who does a lot more twirls and hip-hop moves while another focuses a lot more on the Salsa an snap movement. I burn a ton more with the Salsa-type-dance.
  • AleahTheLoser
    Options
    Yes, I agree that the site and really all calculators including those on mfp overestimate. I added the low, moderate, and high Zumba to "my exercises" and I vary how I log depending on my instructor and how the class was that day. For example, the classes are an hour but with cool down, stretching and down time between songs (and some songs being more intense than others), I'll usually log it as low for 40 minutes. Or, log x number as low and x number as moderate. I do the same thing for my kickboxing class. Sure, the classes are an hour, but you are not really moving for an hour straight so I try to log the true minutes that I think I was actually moving. People probably think I'm ready to go because I look at the clock alot in class lol but that's why! I'm always paying attention to how long we did what!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I log it as high impact aerobics. The calories burned on MFP show lower than on zumbacalories.com but I'd rather err on the side of caution. I don't often eat back my exercise calories anyway but I up my cals by about 200 on exercise days.

I think both sites overestimate calories burned TBH,