Should I go back to the doctor?

Options
So a month ago, I wanted to get my numbers to see exactly HOW healthy I am or not. So all my numbers came back awesome, but in the mean time this doctor made me feel like crap. He discounted the (at the time 16 lbs) weight that I had already lost. Told me that I needed to start seeing a personal trainer and that at minimum I needed to work out 90 minutes a day. I simply do not have time for this. He made this seem soooo unattainable. I was pretty bummed out for several days fretting about what he had said. In the mean time I have lost additional weight ( 12 lbs) and I am not sure that I want to put myself through the torture that it was to see this guy again. I got what I wanted which was the blood work. Do you think I should go back to rub it in his face and tell me off (sort of, he actually said that If I didn't do it HIS way that he would be shocked to see if I lost even five lbs) or just not go. I don't see any positives about this for myself if what I am doing is working...

Replies

• mrsNoSo
    mrsNoSo Posts: 28
    Options
    I kind of have a strict over the top doctor too but in a way I like that. However; my doctor would never be quite that rude. I suggest getting your records from that doctor and finding a doctor that more suits your personality. Congrats on the loss. Sounds like you are doing great.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thank you! There are def some personality conflicts there...as in I'm a pushover who lets people treat me like crap and then whines about it and he was WAYYY egotistical....and THIN...and basically the same age as me....
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I think I would be changing doctors. I want a doctor that will listen o me and give advice but it isn't their or no way!
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not to THAT doctor! Request your records and find a new one. Good job on the weight loss and good numbers.:happy:
  • Sasanna
    Sasanna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Change doctors....my doctor told me I need to get the lap band surgery And was pushing me to take diet pills. He said I could not do it with exercise and diet alone. WELL I CAN!! .....I lost 146lbs and counting! I Will never go back to that doctor....even to show off.....he's not worth it.
  • applejacks1552
    Options
    Change your doctor. He sounds like a jerk. Not all doctors are created equal and they are not all experts on everything.

Clearly you are losing weight the way you are doing it and your blood work is coming out good. A good doctor would commend the work you have done, encourage you to keep going, and maybe give tips, but not orders. Plenty of people just stay overweight and do nothing about it, he should be proud of you for trying!

Keep doing what you are doing and find a doctor with more compassion and a smaller ego (good luck on that one). It's one thing to give advice and another to say it's his way or no way.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    He prescribed a personal trainer and 90-minute workouts each day?

I wouldn't give that quack another thought.

You have already proved him wrong because he said he would be shocked if you lost five pounds doing what you are doing and you have already lost twelve more pounds.

Keep doing what you're doing to lose weight and shop for a new doctor when you get a chance.

Keep it up!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not only did he "order" a personal trainer and 90 minutes a day x five days a week, also 30 minutes weight training every other day with a personal trainer. I was also ordered to limit my caloric intake to less than 1800 (after I told him THREE times that I usually eat between 1000-1400 daily) and a vacation TWO times a year...BY MYSELF because I am an overworked mom....made me cry over refusing the female parts of a physical of the exam (sorry I have other people for that and I hate them too, thankyouverymuch and too many bad experiences with my pregnancies made me have a very bad taste in my mouth for unnecessary exams and procedures, plus seriously I just met the dude)....I am not going back, I will call and cancel the appointment....
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a NEW doctor, not that guy. He sounds horrible.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'd be finding another doctor, one who has some people skills and gives you better advice.
    Good luck, they aren't always easy to find!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Change the doctor as soon as possible. I know it's hard these days to find a new one but for your health and well being I would run, not walk away from that doctor.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    id find a new doc.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt go back.
    I hate my doctor, Won't even touch me. That sounds wrong, But i had health issues that needed dealing with and he had me describe it. :| he was wrong. I can't even get a new Doctor Cause there isnt one without having to drive a hour
    But You have the option of finding someone else!!! Which is great. Find a doctor that will Care!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new doctor.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - find another doctor. Request copies of the blood work, then, send him a letter. Be polite, but let him know that you felt bullied and have been successful despite him.
  • 1bigtabbycat
    1bigtabbycat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Every persons needs are different. Some may need this type of doctor to get them where they need to be. It doesn't sound like you do ... me, personally - I would tell that doctor to take a long walk off a short pier. A doctor is there to give you medical advice and support. Like - EXCELLENT JOB ON YOUR LOSS - keep up the good work and I can't wait to see your progress the next time you are in here.
    That is what my doctor would tell me. Hope you can find someone who you feel comfortable with and does a good job! Keep up the great work!! :flowerforyou:
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Doctors are there to listen to you and give tailored medical advice that best suits the individual.

They are only human and cannot know everything about every bit of medicine. I had to give one a lecture once when he advised me to go on a no fat diet, not low fat, no fat. He seemed quite surprised when I informed him vegetables have fat in them.

That being said I have also found doctors that are amazingly supportive and a font of knowledge and understanding. I know that this may make them sound like a car, but it is all about finding one that suits you and sticking with them.

I would also be putting a letter in asking for explanations of his actions. The guy sounds like he could do with having a few refresher courses to help with his continuing development.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Not only did he "order" a personal trainer and 90 minutes a day x five days a week, also 30 minutes weight training every other day with a personal trainer. I was also ordered to limit my caloric intake to less than 1800 (after I told him THREE times that I usually eat between 1000-1400 daily) and a vacation TWO times a year...BY MYSELF because I am an overworked mom....made me cry over refusing the female parts of a physical of the exam (sorry I have other people for that and I hate them too, thankyouverymuch and too many bad experiences with my pregnancies made me have a very bad taste in my mouth for unnecessary exams and procedures, plus seriously I just met the dude)....I am not going back, I will call and cancel the appointment....

Sounds like that doctor needs a vacation if he is that up-tight with his patients - if not therapy for himself. I take it this is a MALE doctor. Sorry you had to go through this unpleasant experience. Good luck finding a good doctor. I usually prefer female doctors myself. Most of them are better listeners and can relate with female patients. As far as losing the weight you lost - Congratulations!!! Keep up the healthy lifestyle. If only we Moms had the luxury of 90 minutes a day workout with a personal trainer and two vacations a year - ha ha ha! That is my dream! If there is a will, there is a way, but extra time would be nice. :laugh: