Understanding the process - BMI/BMR etc

Options
Hoping to get some help here. Using the tools section from this site my current BMI is 32.3 and BMR - 1690. I eat on average (last 7 days) 1400 - 1500 calories per day and burn on average ( last 7 days) 600 calories per day. Are my calories on track to lose weight?

Replies

• jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am by far not an expert. But I have found a few things. One it depends on where the calories are coming from? Sugar, carbs or protein. Make sure the calories are balanced. Also do not let your NET calories fall below 1100-1200. Hope this helps
  • Longtobeslim
    Longtobeslim Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't think you are eating enough. Remember you have to eat enough to fuel your body for the activities you are asking it to do. I wouldn't go below 1100 net calories. It is differently for everyone but I really think 1100-1200 is the least you should be eating.

Erin
  • kathryndietplan
    Options
    It is my experience that BMI is on and average person and doesn't account for bone density for heavey frame persons. What I can see is that your daily average consumption is 1690 calories and work out on an average of 600 and consume 1400-1500 makes it that you don't have the requirews 1200 calories required to lose weight. I use the report option under Nutrition and if the scale shows the requires 1200 calories. I will watch for possible reply if it works.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Some would say not to net less than your BMR -- that's what your body needs to function in a coma. I think it's better to figure out your TDEE (which includes basic daily activities) and shoot for an intake of 15-20% lower than that. That usually puts you in a safe range and you can tweak it up and down as needed.
  • jna1957
    jna1957 Posts: 53
    Options
    thanks for the replies. After reading them I have noted the following for the past three days:

calories in - 1598 - burned - 899 - net calories - 699 Sun
    1427 824 603 Mon
    1539 457 1082 Tue
    if this is right my net calories are under the required 1200. if i am calculating this correctly I should have ate at least 501 more calories on Sun, 597 Mon and 118 today. At the rate I am working out I really need to eat at least 2000 calories a day and not the 1500 I have set.

I also calculated my TDEE and it is around 2500 so if I were to take 20% from that it would be 2000

Thoughts?
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I am definitely not an expert but I have done some reading and figured out what works for me. I think how aggressive you are with your defecit depends partly on how much you are trying to lose -- I am not trying to lose too much so am pretty conservative with my numbers (ie 10% under TDEE and netting approximately my BMR) but I am still losing steadily. If you have a lot to lose, your deficit can be higher.

I think netting under BMR is OK in the short term if you have a lot to lose, but you don't want to do it consistently/long term because it will slow your metabolism down. So for you to net around 1200 in the short term (assuming you are trying to lose as quickly as possible) might make sense, and seems to work out similarly to eating at 20% below TDEE, so that sounds like a good start. If you try it and for some reason aren't losing (although you should be losing if you are eating 500 calories less than your TDEE, unless your metabolism is already slower than average) you can decrease it in small increments.

In general, if you are eating 2000 calories/day, burning an average of 800/day and so only netting 1200/day, this seems to be the minimum of what you would want to eat to mimimize muscle catabolism and keep your metabolism humming. Just my thoughts, as I said, I am coming at this with a very different set of numbers.

I am a 5'4" female with a TDEE of 1550, so I am very jealous of your 2500!

Good luck.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Heh, I'll trade you for my 3100. How the hell did I ever gain this much weight if it takes that much just to maintain it? Staying on a meal plan to eat 2400/day feels like I'm eating all the time, hungry or not.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are not eating enough, the bear minimum should be 1200 net (1200 plus what you burn from exercise) So if you burn 600 the minimum calories you should be eating is 1800 (1200+600)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not an expert but I have done some reading and figured out what works for me. I think how aggressive you are with your defecit depends partly on how much you are trying to lose -- I am not trying to lose too much so am pretty conservative with my numbers (ie 10% under TDEE and netting approximately my BMR) but I am still losing steadily. If you have a lot to lose, your deficit can be higher.

I think netting under BMR is OK in the short term if you have a lot to lose, but you don't want to do it consistently/long term because it will slow your metabolism down. So for you to net around 1200 in the short term (assuming you are trying to lose as quickly as possible) might make sense, and seems to work out similarly to eating at 20% below TDEE, so that sounds like a good start. If you try it and for some reason aren't losing (although you should be losing if you are eating 500 calories less than your TDEE, unless your metabolism is already slower than average) you can decrease it in small increments.

In general, if you are eating 2000 calories/day, burning an average of 800/day and so only netting 1200/day, this seems to be the minimum of what you would want to eat to mimimize muscle catabolism and keep your metabolism humming. Just my thoughts, as I said, I am coming at this with a very different set of numbers.

Good luck.

Are you sure your TDEE is 1550? or is that you BMR? As to have a TDEE of 1550 your BMR would have to be 1291 which at your height is quite low unless you are 100-105lbs.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend this article for everyone. Everything you really need to know about weight loss all in one single page...
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Are you sure your TDEE is 1550? or is that you BMR? As to have a TDEE of 1550 your BMR would have to be 1291 which at your height is quite low unless you are 100-105lbs.

^This. If your TDEE is 1550 you shouldn't be losing weight because you're either very thin or a child.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. After reading them I have noted the following for the past three days:

calories in - 1598 - burned - 899 - net calories - 699 Sun
    1427 824 603 Mon
    1539 457 1082 Tue
    if this is right my net calories are under the required 1200. if i am calculating this correctly I should have ate at least 501 more calories on Sun, 597 Mon and 118 today. At the rate I am working out I really need to eat at least 2000 calories a day and not the 1500 I have set.

I also calculated my TDEE and it is around 2500 so if I were to take 20% from that it would be 2000

Thoughts?

Bingo. Eat around 2000.

And/or keep your net calories somewhere above your BMR.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

^This. If your TDEE is 1550 you shouldn't be losing weight because you're either very thin or a child.

1550 is really not an unreasonable TDEE for a woman 5'4" still looking to lose weight. I'm 5'4", currently 125, BMR 1275, set to sedentary activity level, MFP calculates my calories for losing 1/2 lb per week at 1340, making my TDEE 1590 based on the sedentary setting. At 125 I'm also right in the middle of the healthy BMI range for being 5'4" which I would not classify as 'very thin'. Healthy weight, yes, but not 'very thin' (that makes me think 'underweight'). Having a TDEE that's lower than some other people doesn't necessarily mean someone 'shouldn't be losing weight', that's like saying if you have a high TDEE you 'shouldn't be gaining weight' - but many people do b/c they are building muscle.

*all that is not including exercise, I add that in later since that's the way MFP is set up.

OP I do agree w/ pp's that say make sure you're eating enough.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @cgwatson-That article was amazing. Thanks.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    @cgwatson-That article was amazing. Thanks.

Np, glad to pass useful info along!

P.s. the guy who wrote that is an active mfp member.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

1550 is really not an unreasonable TDEE for a woman 5'4" still looking to lose weight. I'm 5'4", currently 125, BMR 1275, set to sedentary activity level, MFP calculates my calories for losing 1/2 lb per week at 1340, making my TDEE 1590 based on the sedentary setting. At 125 I'm also right in the middle of the healthy BMI range for being 5'4" which I would not classify as 'very thin'. Healthy weight, yes, but not 'very thin' (that makes me think 'underweight'). Having a TDEE that's lower than some other people doesn't necessarily mean someone 'shouldn't be losing weight', that's like saying if you have a high TDEE you 'shouldn't be gaining weight' - but many people do b/c they are building muscle.

*all that is not including exercise, I add that in later since that's the way MFP is set up.

Thanks, my stats are pretty similar to yours. I think it gave me a BMR of 1360 and TDEE of 1550 with the sedentary setting. Also, I don't know how much age is a factor, I am 38 which doesn't seem that old to me but may decrease it a bit. I also eat exercise calories so usually end up eating around 1600/day which is giving a very gradual (maybe 0.25-0.3 lbs/wk) weight loss which I am happy with.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Thanks, my stats are pretty similar to yours. I think it gave me a BMR of 1360 and TDEE of 1550 with the sedentary setting. Also, I don't know how much age is a factor, I am 38 which doesn't seem that old to me but may decrease it a bit. I also eat exercise calories so usually end up eating around 1600/day which is giving a very gradual (maybe 0.25-0.3 lbs/wk) weight loss which I am happy with.

Yep I believe age does play a factor in the calculations. I'm 29 fwiw. :-)
  • imafatloser
    Options
    I strongly recommend this article for everyone. Everything you really need to know about weight loss all in one single page...
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

Thank you! Great read!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options