Help choosing a HRM?

Options
I really want to get a heart rate monitor so i can know exactly how many calories i am burning. There are so many different ones and I know nothing about them. What do you suggest? and why? I am pretty sure I want the watch type but if it could also be used as a chest HRM that would be a plus.

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Most watches sync up with a chest strap. However, there are some models that incorporate a bezel on the face of the watch to touch. A chest strap will give you the most accurate reading, though.

Personally, I use Garmin since I run and want the pace and GPS features along with the HR info. Polar is probably THE name in HRMs. Suunto is also another top brand. I don't have any experience with either Polar or Suunto, so I can't speak for how well they work.
  • loftard1
    loftard1 Posts: 14
    Options
    i just purchased a heart rate moniter from newegg.com its a mio for 50 bucks came with a chest strap that i use every time i work out. i love this thing its durable tells you how much calories you burn and grams of fat that you burn. You enter in your wight hieght it calculates what your target heart rate should be at to maxsimise burning.IT also beeps at you if you go under your target heatrt rate. Love this little mio
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! :flowerforyou:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Is polar a brand or type of HRM?
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Is polar a brand or type of HRM?

It's a brand of HRM.
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into getting a HRM as well. I've decided that when I have the money I am getting the Polar FT40 Women's HRM. I like the look, the functions it has and the reviews on it seem to be good. It's on sale for $116 at Amazon.com right now.
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    I decided on a puma watch style that can be converted to a chest strap. My main reason for purchasing the one i did other than functionality was simply the way it looked. I wanted something I would want to wear everyday instead of my usual watch. It should be here in a few days :)

The polar brand sounds really nice. Especially being able to sync it to a computer.
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    I've been looking into getting a HRM as well. I've decided that when I have the money I am getting the Polar FT40 Women's HRM. I like the look, the functions it has and the reviews on it seem to be good. It's on sale for $116 at Amazon.com right now.

Oh that one's cute! I love the flowers on the strap! (I realize that is a very girly reason to like a HRM but I am what I am :wink: )
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Oh that one's cute! I love the flowers on the strap! (I realize that is a very girly reason to like a HRM but I am what I am :wink: )
    I loved that the black one has the flowers on it. :) They have a pink one too but it's not as high tech as the FT40. Good luck with your Puma HRM. Please let us know how it works!