Breakfasts

Options
I really struggle here.

I'd prefer not to 'waste' the calories, but apparently I should have breakfast to get my matabolism going?

Someone please explain!

Replies

• lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are two (or more) camps on this one. Some people believe that it does get your metabolism revving, others (intermittent fasting) break their fast later in the day, and feel that not having breakfast at traditional breakfast time has no negative effect on metabolism (plenty of info on this - just use the search box)
    I feel that if I eat breakfast, then I don't get super hungry by mid morning, and then start eating like crazy. I have tried intermittent fasting and found that it does allow you to eat well during your remaining meals.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Breakfast really helps your metabolism!
    I think that you have to try different options and decide what's best for you
    If you're not used to eat breakfast, try to eat something small..a piece of fruit maybe or a cereal bar, so that you won't be too hungry for lunch but at the same time you'll feel light and won't have wasted too many cals :)
  • TransTina
    TransTina Posts: 82
    Options
    If you're not used to eat breakfast, try to eat something small..a piece of fruit maybe or a cereal bar, so that you won't be too hungry for lunch but at the same time you'll feel light and won't have wasted too many cals :)

Thanks x
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How is it a waste of calories, though? It can be hard at first, but once you get into the habit of eating in the morning, your body will start requiring it. I used to hate breakfast, but I can honestly say I haven't skipped it in a year! My RD had be eating within an hour of rising each day to get my metabolism going and ensure I wasn't overeating later.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This. I rarely used to eat breakfast but lately I've been forcing myself to at least eat a banana, and even that small bit helps fight hunger later on, and it's just over 100 calories, so not bad at all.
  • TransTina
    Options

Just had an orange. Puke!
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Oranges can be acid, I know! try with a banana or an apple or even a yogurt :)
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How about some greek yogurt with berries? You'll get some protein, at least. Eventually add a slice of whole grain toast to that and you'll have a healthy meal.:smile:
  • TransTina
    Options
    How about some greek yogurt with berries? You'll get some protein, at least. Eventually add a slice of whole grain toast to that and you'll have a healthy meal.:smile:

TOAST?!! TOAST?!! Are you insane woman??!! What a waste!

:love:
  • AlbionLass
    AlbionLass Posts: 136
    Options
    If I didn't have breakfast I'd collapse before 10am, I do have my evening meal around 4pm though.

For breakfast I usually have porridge (made with water, on the hob) honey, a yogurt and piece of fruit. (About 300 calories in total)

Oh and a couple of cups of coffee lol. (25 cals each)
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had a banana and a mini babybel this morning at 7 then had a piece of toast at work at ten. I find i need to eat breakfast, guess i'm a hungry person but i try to be careful what i eat so i don't go overboard :) i wouldn't say breakfast is a waste of calories, calories are only wasted if you physically don't need them...i think anyway!
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast and you'd rather put your calories into your other meals, then do that.

You have to do whatever works best for YOU. Some people just aren't breakfast eaters. You aren't going to slow down your metabolism by skipping breakfast. Don't force yourself to eat breakfast if you don't want it. If you feel like it's a waste of calories because you'd rather have something more later, then skip it.

LOTS of people on here have lost weight and maintained their weight by skipping breakfast, and even lunch and putting all their calories into dinner/later meals.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When you wake up in the morning your metabolism has been inactive for for 7 to 8 hours. Eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism for the day.

Most people are more active during the day so eating the majority of your calories during the day rather than in the evening will burn up more of your calories, dependant on what your day is like I suppose.

I wake up starving and need to eat breakfast, or I would be like a bear with a sore head!

If your body is not used to breakfast then you will need to re-train it. Start with something light, yoghurt and fruit or a protein shake.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You're never "wasting" calories if you're eating healthy foods - no matter the time of day. Your body needs those calories in order to function, so think of it more as FUEL for your body.

I've found that having a large amount of food at any particular time will make things more difficult so I try to have lots of small, healthy snacks throughout the day and never really have a "meal" if I can help it.

For example, over the course of the morning (four or five hours) I'll usually have a coffee with splenda and skim milk, Kashi go lean crunch cereal with skim milk, and either a banana or an Odwalla superfood smoothie (love those things) or a yogurt. All great things to have in the morning, and it ensures that I remain satisfied and I don't get cravings for unhealthy things all morning.

Eating in the morning DOES kickstart your metabolism. You shouldn't think of it as a "waste." All of the calories you consume help your body to continue to function throughout the day. A slice of whole wheat toast is a great way to spend your calories in the morning, so don't knock that idea down too soon!
  • TransTina
    Options
    You're never "wasting" calories if you're eating healthy foods - no matter the time of day. Your body needs those calories in order to function, so think of it more as FUEL for your body.

I've found that having a large amount of food at any particular time will make things more difficult so I try to have lots of small, healthy snacks throughout the day and never really have a "meal" if I can help it.

For example, over the course of the morning (four or five hours) I'll usually have a coffee with splenda and skim milk, Kashi go lean crunch cereal with skim milk, and either a banana or an Odwalla superfood smoothie (love those things) or a yogurt. All great things to have in the morning, and it ensures that I remain satisfied and I don't get cravings for unhealthy things all morning.

Eating in the morning DOES kickstart your metabolism. You shouldn't think of it as a "waste." All of the calories you consume help your body to continue to function throughout the day. A slice of whole wheat toast is a great way to spend your calories in the morning, so don't knock that idea down too soon!

Thaks ever so much for that
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion.
    Here's mine,
    Morning is a rush for me. I have a cup of green tea on waking,
    Take my vitamins, and have a cup of black coffee with coconut oil and cinnamon in it. For nutrition, metabolism, and satiety.
    I enjoy having larger meals throughout the rest of the day, and when I have time to sit , take my time and enjoy them.
    I guess it's a lifestyle thing.....
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I never see it as wasting calories; I'm usually pretty hungry when I get up! I couldn't go without breakfast, and since I am a morning exerciser, I need some fuel!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Eating in the morning DOES kickstart your metabolism.

This kickstart is from the thermic effect of feeding but this is going to happen whenever you eat and it's based on caloric intake and macronutrient composition. If you skip breakfast and eat later, you're still getting the same total thermic effect so in that regard, there's no real difference in terms of your total energy expenditure.

In short, skip breakfast if you don't feel like eating. It's not going to effect your metabolism or total energy expenditure from the act of skipping it alone.
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have also struggled with breakfast my whole life. I am not a morning eater. However, I have tried to incorporate new ideas. I usually eat something around 9-10 am at work. Some days it is instant oatmeal and my new favorite is egg whites and spinach on a flat sandwich thin with a laughing cow light swiss spread on the sandwich thin. I just cook the egg whites and spinach at home and zap them in the microwave at work when I am ready to eat. it is only about 250 calories and lots of protein and vitamins. If I know that I will be eating larger meals later in the day, I do sometimes just stick with coffee, although sometimes that sabatoges me because I am starving later and make poor food choices :( You will figure out what works and over time it may change.
  • brianna182
    brianna182 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    for me personally, i have tried doing the healthy breakfast in the morning before school and it didnt work for me. eating in the morning makes me feel sick to my stomach..i find that i eat most of my calories in the evening/afternoon regardless of whether or not i eat breakfast, so I dont eat breakfast simply because im not hungry and i really dont feel that i need it