"bring a dish" parties

Options
2»

Replies

• meredithmccandless
    Options
    hummus with carrots and cukes and olives
    spicy white beans (navy or other beans, red pepper flakes, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, italian herbs) with bread
    nuts & dried fruit (almonds, mango, cashew, cranberries, apricot, etc)

mmmmmm
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Mini Boccaccini, Fresh Basil and Grape/Cherry tomatoes on toothpicks with balasamic dressing drizzled. Soooo Yum!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Some of the recent things I've brought...

Veggie Chili

Lemongrass Pea and Napa Slaw http://stirringthingsupblog.com/2011/11/18/lemongrass-pea-and-napa-slaw/

Deep-Dish Cookie Pie from www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

Deviled Eggs (made with greek yogurt instead of mayo)

Creamy Polenta with almond milk and topped with low-fat wild mushroom ragout
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Italian Pasta skewers and a homemade vinaigrette on the side..

Each skewer has cubed provolone, cubed sopressata, cubed prosciutto, red/yellow/orange pepper chunks, tortelini, cherry tomato. I get the extra long skewers so I can do multiple layers... They are very colorful and eye-appealing.

The vinaigrette is olive oil, white vinegar, grainy mustard, fresh zest and juice of lemon, garlic, fresh basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary....

This sounds amazing! I may try this at home too...lol

Friends of mine were doing a Wine-tasting party with their homemade creations and they were featuring some italian reds and whites - so I thought to myself a different twist on a tortellini salad (I cant eat pasta but, I love making these for anyone). I will also add some red onion, I meant to add that to the list but realized after I posted.

Basically its pasta salad on a skewer... I have these wonderful 2oz ramekins that people can put their dressing in (so you can avoid using the main bowl for dipping), people can dip their skewers into their own ramekin of homemade dressing.

Ive done raviolini skewers with a variety of cubed cheeses, roma tomatoes, basil leaves, broccoli, prosciutto and/or shrimp and baby bella mushrooms on a skewer and did a cheese fondue... BIG HIT with folks.

Another popular dish I make is Czechoslovakian Meatballs... a really savory meatball (onion, gahhhhhhlic, worcestershire sauce and basic ingredients) made with ground beef and pork. The gravy is a tomato-paprikash concoction that has gahhhhhlic, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, sour cream, neufchatel, fresh chicken stock - and a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up.... Put your cooked meatballs in the gravy and grab some jumbo skewers and start poking for them... BIG HIT with the guys because it really goes great with sauerkraut and a great beer to wash it down.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Italian Pasta skewers and a homemade vinaigrette on the side..

Each skewer has cubed provolone, cubed sopressata, cubed prosciutto, red/yellow/orange pepper chunks, tortelini, cherry tomato. I get the extra long skewers so I can do multiple layers... They are very colorful and eye-appealing.

The vinaigrette is olive oil, white vinegar, grainy mustard, fresh zest and juice of lemon, garlic, fresh basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary....

This sounds amazing! I may try this at home too...lol

Friends of mine were doing a Wine-tasting party with their homemade creations and they were featuring some italian reds and whites - so I thought to myself a different twist on a tortellini salad (I cant eat pasta but, I love making these for anyone). I will also add some red onion, I meant to add that to the list but realized after I posted.

Basically its pasta salad on a skewer... I have these wonderful 2oz ramekins that people can put their dressing in (so you can avoid using the main bowl for dipping), people can dip their skewers into their own ramekin of homemade dressing.

Ive done raviolini skewers with a variety of cubed cheeses, roma tomatoes, basil leaves, broccoli, prosciutto and/or shrimp and baby bella mushrooms on a skewer and did a cheese fondue... BIG HIT with folks.

Another popular dish I make is Czechoslovakian Meatballs... a really savory meatball (onion, gahhhhhhlic, worcestershire sauce and basic ingredients) made with ground beef and pork. The gravy is a tomato-paprikash concoction that has gahhhhhlic, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, sour cream, neufchatel, fresh chicken stock - and a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up.... Put your cooked meatballs in the gravy and grab some jumbo skewers and start poking for them... BIG HIT with the guys because it really goes great with sauerkraut and a great beer to wash it down.

These meatballs sound delicious! Can you share a recipe?
  • dsagaties1963
    Options
    bump
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We do a monthly potluck at work that's usually to die for, but most of us are on MFP right now. The theme this last month was pizza potluck, so all we needed was sides and desserts. I brought a big green salad thinking just the dieting people would bother with it. The whole thing was gone! How simple...never thought of something that easy to bring.