another confused one here :(

Options
I started mfp last week and i have gained a lb .I set goals toloose 1lb a week and have been adding exercise and eating the cals I have earnt from exercise .I am on 1210 cals a day so cant go any lower and some days have eaten the 300 extra .
I just looked at this site added all my info and it says
Women's Calorie Calculator Results

These results will help you determine the calorie count you need to maintain your current weight or to achieve your goal weight in a healthy and steady manner.

You need 1917.4 calories per day to maintain your current weight without exercise.

You need 1874.9 calories per day to reach your goal weight slowly and maintain that weight without exercise.

If you reduce your current caloric intake to 1417.4 calories per day you will lose one pound per week without exercise.

If you increase your current caloric intake to 2417.4 calories per day, you will gain one pound per week.

Exercise and Calorie Needs

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 2139 calories per day and still maintain your current weight.

If you exercise for 60 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 2416 calories per day to maintain your current weight.

Macronutrients

The United States Department of Agriculture suggests that approximately 50 percent of your calories come from carbohydrates, about 30 percent from fats, and approximately 20 percent from protein sources. One gram of protein has about four calories, one gram of fat has about nine calories, and one gram of carbohydrate has about four calories.

You need 239.7 grams of carbohydrates, 63.3 grams of fat, and 95.9 grams of protein per day for 1917.4 calories to maintain your weight of 148 pounds.
so am i not eating enough it says 1400 cals a day witho0ut exercise should loose 1 lb a week im so confused with all this grrrrrrrrrrrr

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Firstly, these are mathematical models based purely on averages, the truth is that no two people are identical - you're not a bunch of numbers in an equation. I can see some problems with their numbers, based on 30 minutes of exercise they say you can increase your caloric intake by approximately 500 cal day? That would have to be pretty vigorous exercise, I'm around 205lbs and my half hour of rowing was worth 275 calories to me (I use my heart rate monitor not the MFB estimate), my 40 minute run yesterday was worth 510 calories.

Be patient, for some people it takes a few weeks before they start seeing the needle on the scale move.

Don't become fixated on just your weight, focus on becoming healthier.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Well, we are nearly the same age (i am 42) and we had nearly the same starting goal (i wanted to lose 22lbs). I am on a 1200 calorie diet and usually eat back most of my exercise calories. I have been losing consistently every week since the 1st of the year and it averages about 1lbs/week at this point.

With that said, I would guess that you might not be logging your food accurately enough. Was it really only 2 tbs of cream cheese or was it maybe 3? Did you count the butter you put in the bottom of the pan before you cooked dinner? Are you measuring out your pasta, rice and other grains to make sure you eat the appropriate amount? How is your sodium intake?

Lots of things to look at. I think your MFP settings are right based on your age, gender and weight. Take a close look at your diet.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Burn more than you consume, loose weight.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Also don't know how much you are exercising, but I exercise 5 days/week. Two are strength training and 3 are cardio.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Firstly, these are mathematical models based purely on averages, the truth is that no two people are identical - you're not a bunch of numbers in an equation. I can see some problems with their numbers, based on 30 minutes of exercise they say you can increase your caloric intake by approximately 500 cal day? That would have to be pretty vigorous exercise, I'm around 205lbs and my half hour of rowing was worth 275 calories to me (I use my heart rate monitor not the MFB estimate), my 40 minute run yesterday was worth 510 calories.

Be patient, for some people it takes a few weeks before they start seeing the needle on the scale move.

Don't become fixated on just your weight, focus on becoming healthier.

exactly....

Also remember if you are eating healthy and doing good body resistance and cardio to maintain your muscle mass it will come off slowly - but by doing healthy lifestyle eating in combo with exercise you are hopefully burning fat...a lb of fat takes up a far greater volume then a lb of muscle...so while it may be slow going - a lb here...a lb there...over time even if it takes you 2 months to loose 5 lbs...if you have lost (burned from your fat cells) 5 lbs of fat you will notice a difference
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your help .I willstick with it .Ihave only just started exercising again and for the last 7 days while on the plan i have exercised every day .ihave been doing 30 day shred and some days also walking and went jogging twice ,previously to this over last few months not really done much at all apart from walking .New week today so will see what happens next week .I will check my diary and see if i can see anyproblems but feel free to look .I think its public ,if you like .