The Dreaded 'Skinny Fat' - Please Help!

Options
Morning all,

I've lost 40lbs in the last 14 months, but it has left me looking rather 'Skinny Fat'.

I still have another 10lbs to lose, but I was wondering whether anyone could guide me in the right direction for what I should be doing to change this as I can't seem to be able to shift the wobbly bit around my middle (and I know there are some rock-hard abs hiding underneath there somewhere)

I currently do 10-20 mins of cardio per day in the gym, followed by barbell squats and curls, and an abs routine. I walk at least an hour a day and I walk pretty fast, normally about 4mph.

I'm currently netting 1200, after coming back off maintanance to lose the final 10lbs, so any advice would be really well recieved! Thanks!!

Replies

• Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for u as it's an interesting topic....not too clued up on this but i've started strength training now i'm close to goal weight.

Goodluck and i hope someone can help with a wee bit more experience in these things than me :heart:
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would definitely be doing a full body lifting routine, not just arms and abs. That will help the overall appearance of your body. Also, make sure when lifting that you eat enough protein for muscle repair. I know a lot of body builders eat 1 gram per pound of body weight. While I struggle to reach that amount, you could always give it a try. You say you do 20 minutes of cardio in the gym on top of your walking. What is that cardio? Is it walking, or is it running? I would definitely use that 20 minutes for some high intensity cardio to help move those last 10 pounds. You may be surprised, after you lose those last 10 pounds, your body shape may look very different to you :) Good luck!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't log my water consumption on my diary because I have no troubles drinking a couple gallons a day. That with lots of cardio have kept me from getting that look, I hope....lol I still have a bulge but it has really been going away and I don't have bad saggy skin on my mid section. Not sure if there is a right answer on this one because everyone's body is different.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Strength training (starting strength our string lifts are good)
    Adequate protein
    Smaller calorie deficit (500.or less)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Strength training (starting strength our string lifts are good)
    Adequate protein
    Smaller calorie deficit (500.or less)
    All of this ^^

Start by throwing in some nice big exercises like squates/deadlifts/lunges/clean&press/bench press.

Those are the some of the ones that will really help

It's difficult to advise without knowing exactly what you weigh or how you look, but even going so far as to have no deficit could be the way forward, even eating slightly more than your maintenance could help.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As others said, strength training is the biggest. Next, sounds like you have your maintenance calories figured out, so take that number and back off 250 calories. You want a small deficit so you can provide your body with as much nutrition as possible in order to repair muscle and stimulate muscle growth. Essentially, throw away the scale. If you don't lose the last 10 lbs it isn't an issue, especially if you can add 10 lbs of muscle. Below are two things, a quote from one of my MFP friends that I set up her caloric intake as well as helped with her workout routine and a link that shows the benefits of weight training and beating skinny fat. Also, try not to mix heavy cardio and weight training. There have been some studies that suggest your body fights for resources when doing both and you wont' get the most out of each exercise.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust."

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    As others said, strength training is the biggest. Next, sounds like you have your maintenance calories figured out, so take that number and back off 250 calories. You want a small deficit so you can provide your body with as much nutrition as possible in order to repair muscle and stimulate muscle growth. Essentially, throw away the scale. If you don't lose the last 10 lbs it isn't an issue, especially if you can add 10 lbs of muscle. Below are two things, a quote from one of my MFP friends that I set up her caloric intake as well as helped with her workout routine and a link that shows the benefits of weight training and beating skinny fat. Also, try not to mix heavy cardio and weight training. There have been some studies that suggest your body fights for resources when doing both and you wont' get the most out of each exercise.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust."

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852

Just be careful though - you won't put on lbs of muscle while in deficit. You might at first if you haven't ever done heavy weights before, but it will soon tail off.

Someone posted a link to this yesterday and it sounds like it might help - I found it really interesting.
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just be careful though - you won't put on lbs of muscle while in deficit. You might at first if you haven't ever done heavy weights before, but it will soon tail off.

Someone posted a link to this yesterday and it sounds like it might help - I found it really interesting.
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Not saying everyone can do it, but it is possible to gain lean muscle mass while on a deficit. I will agree, it's not as like as it would be if you were eating at maintenance or a surplus. Below is a good read though.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    A full body routine. It doesn't really look like you're working all your muscle groups. Compound lifts are great!

Adequate protein (at least 1g per lb of lean mass)

More calories / a smaller deficit. IMO 1200 is just not necessary to lose weight in the majority of cases - especially on the last 10lbs. I have 10lbs left to lose as well and I'm on 2000 net, losing between 0.5 and 1lb a week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Eat more food, especially more protein, lift heavy, ignore the scale, take lots of photos in minimal clothing from every angle, and compare photos every few weeks.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

Not saying everyone can do it, but it is possible to gain lean muscle mass while on a deficit. I will agree, it's not as like as it would be if you were eating at maintenance or a surplus. Below is a good read though.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet

I hope I don't sound like I'm being argumentative - cos I agree with what you say - but in that study it relates to what I was saying about newbie gains. The people used in the study were athletes who mainly used legs and didn't really train upper body, and the workouts in the study worked their upper body, so they did gain whilst not on surplus, but it was most likely newbie gains.
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Eating more protein is what I've seen to be one of the more general consensuses on here and throughout the message boards. Good luck with this I'm in the same boat as you!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    strength training. try doing a circuit that is strength training but with a cardio twist. I will often pick 4 exercises.... i.e. weighted step ups, tri dips, front squats, wall sit w/shoulder press.... and do 7 reps of each exercise (on step ups do 7 on each leg) and go through all four exercises and repeat. I try to get through at least 10 rounds in 20 minutes (more if you can)... keeps your heart rate up but incorporates strength training. works quite well. also, you shouldn't do strength training (on the same muscles) each day. you should rest a day in between (you can do cardio on days you're resting from strength).... Also, try intervals on your cardio..... Intervals are fabulous and will probably help. Additionally, if you're exercising every day, and netting 1200 calories, you're probably not eating enough. I've broken through several platueaus by increasing my calories.

sw 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw 198.4 (down 105lbs)
    gw 160
  • iceshark26
    iceshark26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Get more involved with resistance exercise. Don't be afraid of heavier loads. Also bump up the protein intake to maintain lean mass. Try a protein powder.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Eat more Healthdul foods, change your macros settings to 40p/30c/30f...and start with weights...u may not loose that last 10 lbs but u will transform your body into looking as if u did!! Best if luck!!!
  • jeclpi
    jeclpi Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi - I'm on day 3 of the 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michael DVD) - it's dirt cheap on Amazon (even if you're in the UK like me) - and if pain is gain, I think this is already working.... Trust me, the way I hurt today, this will get rid of the fat from the skinny in no time :sad:
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Patience is important, too. That saggy skin will shrink with time and stop looking like saggy fat. (It will weigh less, too.)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Recommend "Bottoms Up" weight workout video by Joyce Vedral. It's a whole-body series of workouts (stretched out over a couple days) that really is working for me. That and protein.