how long till i see a change?

Options
hi,

I've just started at the gym and are doing the below;

Tues- 45mins zumba, 15 mins (4/5 miles) bikes, 15 mins (2/3 miles) cross trainer

Thurs- 1 hour pilates/yoga/taichi, 15 mins bikes, 15 mins cross trainer

sat/sun- 20 mins bikes, 20/25 mins cross trainer, weight reps, 2000 meters rowing, 20 mins treadmill (just do power walking as i have dodgy knees)

am I going/doing enough and how long till i see its working?
how long did it take you guys to notice a difference?
I know its a vague question but I'm clueless!

Thanks myfitnesspals :)

Replies

• re1096
    re1096 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.. some will say that is enough some will say that is too little. It is about finding your own groove really. For me that would not be enough I am in the gym daily for an hour at the LEAST sometimes up to 3 and run on top of that.

It's about what works and fits for you love.

Many happy calories burnt!
    Re
  • re1096
    re1096 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    oh and to answer your question I saw a HUGE change in about 4 weeks since it has been way more subtle.
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That looks like plenty!

Also, it depends on what counts as "a change" for you. You should be alert for all kinds of changes, including overall energy level, extensions in how long it takes to feel tired, etc. in addition to physical changes like weight and measurements. You might have noticeable positive changes well before they show on a scale!

Some of these hard-to-quantify changes might show in a week or two...

Good for you, and good luck!
  • KristieLynn007
    Options
    Hi there. I have been exercising consistently at home. I walk/job on my treadmill and then also do exercise dvd's. The exercise dvd I use hand weights. I started about two weeks ago(consistantly(and i work out pretty much every day. My average is 30 to 45 minutes but maybe once a week i go an hour or more. I have lost 2 lbs so far and will weight myself again either this morning or tomorrow morning. I can tell you this....I have definitely lost inches. I lost inches b/f I lost the 2 lbs. So whatever you do....don't get discouraged!!!! Some people lose weight first....some lose inches first...i would say within a 2 weeks you will really, really see a huge change. I know I did. Make sure you dr ink a lot of water too!
  • KristieLynn007
    Options
    I meant to say Jog not Job on my treadmill lol
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You must be doing some speed to be able to do 2/3 miles on a cross trainer in 15minutes, usually it takes me 30/40 minutes depending on my speed, which is very quick as I have have been doing it for over a year!
    Maybe you should try and check the calories your burning during all exercise instead of distance.
    All changes take time, but getting your body conditioned to using itself again properly takes time, body shape will only change after this.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to actually see it even though many people noticed it before me. Also, depending on your food diary, it may be a shorter or longer process. Keep it up and don't get discouraged!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!

also do you eat back your exercise cals??

im on 1250 and then earning an extra 800 or so from exercise. should i eat all/some/none??
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long it will be for you, but for me it took longer than I would have liked.
    I started at 230 pounds and didn't get any feedback from co-workers until I crossed the 200 mark; yes it took 30 pounds for me. I may just have unobservant co-workers or loose clothing.
    It will happen though, so keep on going....
    To answer question two, yes I eat back almost all the exercise calories my HRM tells me I've burned.
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!

also do you eat back your exercise cals??

im on 1250 and then earning an extra 800 or so from exercise. should i eat all/some/none??

I do and it has worked for me. But I'd say don't do it because you think you have to... I try to stay a little under most days because of the occasional days when I have to eat out and tend either to go over or not be able to assess very well what I ate. What matters over the long run is what you take in compared to what you burn; each individual day does not need to be perfectly balanced, but going up and down a lot on exercise days might make it hard to develop a sustainable routine.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you're doing enough, just make sure your diet is right, eating enough calories/water, more exercise u do more u need to eat. i loss 3pounds my first week, loss maybe 2 then gained 1, diet wasn't right. umm, so yeah I haven't weighed recently but has taken me a year to lose the 67. 3months to lose the first 20

(in reference to a post I just saw) important, don't wanna burn yourself out, DIET IS NUMBER 1. if you're obese you can get away with trying to eat crap and exercise more, but overall your health will suffer, and it'll eventually catch up with you in one way or another, so be sensible. enjoy this journey, you will see results soon enough, did not put weight on overnight. add me if you like :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The best way to SEE a change is to take progress pictures, in minimal clothing (underwear, bathing suit, sports bra & shorts, etc). We look in the mirror every day, so we're not going to notice subtle day to day changes. Take new photos every 2-4 weeks, and you'll really be able to see the difference.

Taking measurements are good, too, but for me, I second guess if I measured in the same place, or if I pulled the tape tighter. Or changes might be so slight... who's going to get excited over losing 1/8 of an inch? Or my waist and hips might stay the same, but the space between the two might have changed.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Personally, what works for me is to eat back some of my exercise calories but not all because I have a very sedentary day job so probably don't burn as burn as many calories as most people during the normal course of the day. I work from my home office, so apart from going out to exercise, I don't even have to leave the house most days!

If you do eat your exercise calories back though, it's absolutely fine, because as long as you don't go over your net allowance on a regular basis, you are still consuming less calories than you need to maintain your weight (because you have adjusted your calorie goal to lose X lbs a week). I think it's pretty common to feel guilty about eating more on the days you have exercised, but it's all calibrated so enjoy that extra allowance!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    thats pics awesome! feeling inspired to carry on!
    im starting off at 235 so have a LONGGGGG was to go, but have completely overhauled everything from going to gym 3/4 times a week when i never used to, structuring what i eat, swapping things for healthier options, eating more fruit and veg and just learning what affects my body

FELLS SO GOOD!

and you guys giving all this great advice helps soooo much!

thanks again :)
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump