Upper body exercises while on recumbent

Options
Gwenski
Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
I am wondering if anyone can suggest any arm/upper body exercises I can do while riding my recumbent bike?
I've been making stuff up as I go, then added doing them while holding cans of mushrooms (10 oz), I now have moved up to cans of beets (14oz). I am very new to exercise and weights and have to start gently. Ideas?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    try holding your arms straight out to the sides and moving them in small circles, as though you were tracing two plates on opposite walls. It may not seem like much at first, but after a few minutes your biceps will feel it :) Then as it gets easier, you can add weights.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying a little heavier and just take breaks from the lifting when you need it. If you can do more than 12 reps at a certain weight/exercise it is too light.

While on the bike you should be able to do bicep curls, shoulder press, over head tricep extensions, lateral dumbbell raises. I would suggest starting there doing 8-12 reps of each (the last few reps should be hard to do with good form, if not then get a heavier weight)

I would suggest doing the above as a circuit going from one exercise to the next so you would do 8-12 reps of each, then rest for 1 minute and repeat again. I would suggest doing 3-5 sets of the circuit and if you finish before you are done on the bike, just do the bike for the remainder of the workout.
  • emmaj1820
    Options
    They sound like good exercises! I've been looking for things to do in the house without any exercise bikes etc so I will try these :)