Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Alcohol

KarenLue
KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
:drinker: I always hear that you should quit drinking and I know alcohol is high in calories. And I know that it is "Bad" for you, but I never hear what exactly are the ill effects of alcohol on the body.
Can anyone give me additional information on the negative effects of alcohol. I would like to stop drinking (as I do a lot!) But I need more motivation than I have right now. I need more than "because it's bad".

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    It can cause throat cancer and liver damage.
  • KarenLue
    It can cause throat cancer and liver damage.
    Ew. Didn't know about the throat cancer.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Alcohol is horrible for you. Every single organ recognizes it as a poison. It causes problems with your liver, skin, pancreas,stomach, esophagus, brain and kidneys. Not to mention the complete waste of calories and the poor food choices people tendto make when drinking!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Have you thought about just cutting back? I find that I drink less when I drink higher quality stuff, like a nice bourbon, a local craft beer or a nice dry wine.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Excess alcohol intake is associated with many cancers, incuding mouth and breast. It affects all organs of the body, especially when taken to excess.

I work with people who have addictions to substances and see the harrowing effects of alcohol abuse. However I also love wine and cocktails, I just drink them in moderation and work them into my calorie allowance. Life without nice quality wine just isn't worth living for me! :happy:

I agree with the previous poster who suggested having qood quality alcohol in moderation rather than loads of the cheap and nasty stuff.

There are studies to support having a moderate intake of alcohol is protective against heart disease versus being tee-total, with the most benefits coming from red wine. No need to cut out alcohol completely unless you are having some issues with controling your intake.

More info on alcohol and cancer:

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/alcohol/alcohol-and-cancer
  • KarenLue
    Alcohol is horrible for you. Every single organ recognizes it as a poison. It causes problems with your liver, skin, pancreas,stomach, esophagus, brain and kidneys. Not to mention the complete waste of calories and the poor food choices people tendto make when drinking!
    Thanks! and you're right about the poor food choices. Sometimes when I drink and get a good buzz on I'll put a bunch of potato chips on a plate with green olives and onions and melt a bunch of cheese on it in the microwave! lol That's something I haven't done in the last week of not drinking!
  • KarenLue
    Thank you so much for posting the web site!