really tired

Options
I have found over the last few days that by 4.30pm I'm nodding off at my desk and I feel drained. It may be due to the low amount of carbs I've been eating, so I am making a slight change to my lunch today and I'm having chicken pasta with my salad. Hopefully it will give me the needed energy to see me through the afternoon. As any one else got any ideas for low fat energy boosting foods. I've been told that its okay to eat carbs up till lunch time then cut them out of your evening meal.:smile:

Replies

• AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I always eat something about that time of day, I usually eat a cup of soup or fruit and yoghurt. I just cant make it from lunch to dinner without something, especially if I havent eaten much for lunch.:tongue:
  • rebeccamh
    rebeccamh Posts: 12
    Options
    I feel this way when it is humid weather and i'm not drinking enough water
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I try to eat most of my carbs for breakfast and lunch.. dinner is just meat + salad/veg...

hoep this helps?

:drinker: Loads of water to keep going!!
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    I had chicken and pasta salad for lunch and I do feel a little better, normally I'm struggling to keep my eyes open:noway: I have just eaten a bowl of breakfast cereal to give an extra little boost.:smile:
    I've seen on site somewhere someone mentioned its a good idea to have a small bar of chocolate or similar to help through the afternoon:noway: if thats the case I would be real happy, because I miss my chocolate:grumble: :ohwell: :bigsmile:
  • kpnuts23
    Options
    Dont give in!!

Have a Banana instead! Loads of slow releasing energy and you wont feel bad about eating chocolate...

I miss the stuff 2!! :grumble:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a granola bar around 330 or 4 in the after noon and I'm good until I have dinner around 7. I know 7 is late for dinner but I don't get off work until 6 so by the time I get home, it's 630.

Memaw
  • bmjeffri
    bmjeffri Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey

Are you taking vitamins? If so, what kind. With my diet I have been taking vitamins from a company called USANA and they give me that extra boost that keeps me from feeling drained by noon.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    I get this sometimes too, and also find that switching up your diet is the answer, though I usaully don't increase carbs unless it is a piece or fruit or veggies and dip (high sugar will result in crash and burn). Usually I have to add more protein, without enough our body gets sluggish. Also a cold glass of water, or lemon and water, or tea, liquids always help.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough iron. Sometimes eating right can mean cutting out red meat, and not replacing that iron source with a healthier version (like dark green leafy veggies) can leave one feeling sluggish. I know in college I became slightly anemic because I stopped eating red meat. I also agree that drinking lots of water can help energize.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Colin,
    What kind of sleep are you getting?

I know I've been tired this week, but I usually work afternoons, and i'm on days this week which means I have to get up at 6am. My body is used to going to bed after 12.

We should be 7-8 hours of good sleep each night.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I bring a 1" cube of low fat cheddar cheese, a similar size of turkey sausage, and half dozen Ritz, low fat crackers to work every day. About 2 1/2 hours after lunch, I eat up. The protein mixed with the carbs from the crackers is a wonderful pick me up, particularly if I'm planning to go work out.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out carbs completely after lunch, or you will be dragging butt in the evening. Just eat the majority of them earlier in the day. Your body needs those carbs for instant energy.

Also, make sure to eat snacks, so that your blood sugar doesn't plummet (will also cause you to feel tired).
  • ColinQ
    Options
    I dont take vitamins but may start to see if it helps, I am going to buy a pack of healthy snacks to nibble, like Special K bars. I have changed my lunch time diet and now have something like chicken pasta salad. I should be getting enough sleep we are usually in bed by 10pm, I have noticed that I wake up at least 3 - 4 times a night, but usually go straight back to sleep. We are normally up and about by 5.45am because my wife has to leave by 6.30 and I get up with her and make sure she has breakfast and a cup of tea before leaving. When she leaves I then pull on my trainers and go for a run at about 6.45. I don't go far it lasts 15 minutes and is about a mile and half. I've never measured my route. I've been doing that for nearly 2 weeks now and the weight is coming off and my stomach is going down:bigsmile: :glasses: :bigsmile:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Colin,

You want to measure what you run..

www.mapmyrun.com

Cool tool to calculate out distances etc.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Try to eat something every 2.5 - 3 hours during the day.
  • ColinQ
    Options
    I seem to have settled into it now, I dont feel as tired, I'm trying to eat more protein and I have increased my carbs slightly.
  • kpnuts23
    Options
    Glad its working.. once you get into a pattern it gets a lot easier :smile: