Help with FitBit

Options
I have recently gotten a FitBit but am confused about how to enter exercise in MFP. If I go ahead and enter my exercise in MFP, my exercise calories will double because FitBit automatically adjusts when it syncs with MFP. I would like to be able to enter what type of exercise I am doing and the amount of calories burned with that exercise. Anyone know how to correct this? If you have a FitBit what do you do?? Thanks!

Replies

• jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been entering my exercise on the FItBit site, and then it's all reported together on MFP when FitBit does the transfer. If you go to the "log activity" spot on FitBit, there's a place where you can enter/search for different activities; the list is pretty comprehensive (in that it includes sewing, which MFP doesn't have :lol:).
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    If you haven't already, go to http://myfitnesspal.com/fitbit and connect your FitBit with your MFP account. Then from that point on, only log activity with FitBit and it will update your MFP automatically.
  • 40buttfit
    Options
    So does everyone love their Fitbit? Thinking about getting one...
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    It doesnt double the calories burnt actually. Fitbit will re-adjust next time it syncs & communicates with MFP. Enter the exercise on either MFP or Fitbit, its up to you. Just dont enter them on both.

I prefer to enter onto MFP like normal. MFP WILL make the adjustment, which is why when you enter exercise here you have to put the time started & for how many minutes, this way Fitbit deducts the calories worked off between the times you told MFP u were exercising, so therefore you can never double up. Maybe for a few minutes after you have entered it will show double, but trust me it WILL adjust once synced again.
  • jill4559
    jill4559 Posts: 4
    Options
    I had the same question - thanks for clearing it up.

Love my FitBit - it is so motivating
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you enter the exercise in MFP, it will ask you for the time you exercised and how long. When it syncs with the FB site, the exercise info you input into MFP will over write that time period on the Fit Bit site (not sure if the steps associated remain on not...). But the exercise will NOT be double counted.

I am new to Fitbit so I am still experimenting with accounting for my exercising. For the most part I am not logging any exercise except things that the fitbit does not seem to pick up correctly. For me that is bicycling. For someone else it might be swimming, etc.
  • valerieottaviano
    valerieottaviano Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't really believe that the hookup between fit it and mfp would work it was so easy but it did and it's just one less thing to worry about ! I am now totally raving about fitbit ! It really is fantastic I'm getting tiny credit like the 1.8 mikes I walked a round yesterday at work.but since I'm on the 100 miles in march pledge very bit counts!
  • Lengs
    Lengs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! That makes sense. I will give that a try. I've only had the FitBit for less than a week so I'm still trying to figure everything out, but so far I really like it. It gives a little more motivation to get up and move even when not exercising!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! That makes sense. I will give that a try. I've only had the FitBit for less than a week so I'm still trying to figure everything out, but so far I really like it. It gives a little more motivation to get up and move even when not exercising!

I've had mine a little over a week and a half myself. I love it too! I still wear my HRM for actual workouts because I lift and do HIIT or DVD workouts and sometimes the burns are different since it doesn't measure actual "effort" just movement.
    During those times I don't start the stopwatch on my Fitbit since I'm already calculating the burn from my HRM for a more accurate reading. I adjust my MFP exercise log accordingly if it decides to add my exercise on top of my manual exercise entry. So far it's been great about not duplicating since I select "start times" for my workouts and it's smart enough to realize the difference.

However, I'm relatively active throughout the day so I allow it to sync each night again so it can add in my stair running (at work in the stairwells) lol, or my walks around the parking lot.

In the end, I'm just focusing on my calorie and macro nutrient goals.. if I've worked out super hard, I will compensate and eat more accordingly. I just eat based on how I feel and that's been working for me. I can't possibly eat back all my calories burned some days... .I'd be stuffed and miserable! LOL
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, you should check out the MFP Fitbit group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
    Great tips, Q&A and other talk.

Take care friend!
    Nikki
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    L O V E
    love it! I have one of the originals - and would be lost without it - its always in my pocket.
  • ericalynn82279
    ericalynn82279 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump