Good daily calorie intake?

Options
When I setup my account I put I'd like to lose 2 lbs a week (Which is the max...how bout 5?) and it told me 1,750 calories, I'd like to know if I can go down to 1,200 without putting my body into starvation mode, 2 lbs a week is not enough.

Here's some specs to go by.

Male
28 Years Old
6'4
248 Lbs
Don't workout "A lot" - Usual short morning jog and that's about it.

It just seems like I'm stuffing myself trying to maintain this 1,750 calorie count.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would def. stick to what it is telling you to do... as long as you are intaking 1,750 healthy calories and not high in fat, sodium, and carbs you should see great results.

You wouldn't go in to starvation mode but you would not be fueling properly either. You do not have your diary public so I can't really comment on your food intake... you are more than welcome to look at my diary, I eat to the most part as many would consider "like a man", lol - I average about 1500+ a day - just don't look at the day before yesterday i went on a junk food rampage, lol
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Take your time. If you try and lose 5lb a week every week, you won't keep the weight off in the long run. Losing at the rate of 1lb-2lb a week is the best way to make a permanent loss.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you rush your weightloss and don't learn to eat in a healthy fashion, you will put it right back on. Slow and steady is key!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the myth that is starvation mode. If you don't have a 6 pack it is nothing to worry about.

Calories are secondary to nutrients make sure you have enough energy to do your daily life and exercise this is something that you will have to set yourself as everyone is different. Either have a chat with a dietician, failing that look this up on the web, and see what are daily minimums you should be having for fiber, protein etc and make sure you have loads of fruit and veg.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As a man you never want to go below 1500-1600 Net calories/day. So if you are set at 1750 and say burn 400 calories at they gym you would get to eat 2150 (1750+400) but you would be fine going as low as 1900 (1500+400). That being said even 2lbs/week might be too much of an aggressive goal for you.

Having too large of a deficit can lead to the loss of a large % of lean muscle. The smaller your deficit the longer it will take to hit your goal weight but you will be a lower bf% at that weight due to losing less muscle. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goal:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

since you are looking at losing just over 40 lbs I would suggest a goal of no more than 1.5lbs/week, once you lose a few more pounds that should change to 1lb/week to preserve that precious muscle.

Not sure how you are struggling on 1750, I recently switched to a cut phase and am having trouble staying under my intake of 1820Net (I am only 5'6, 140lbs)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 5 lbs a week. What makes you think you can lose it and be healthy?

Crash diets rarely end well.