Standing Ab Exercises?

Options
I am working on my abs/ stomach, but lately crunches and other floor exercises have been hurting my spine/ giving me bruises...

Does anyone have any links/ ideas for standing ab exercises that are as good as crunches?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    just flex your abs and bend to the side, reach, twist, bend forward forward and backward. you will start to feel the burn.
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    bump!!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    read the Book New Rules of Lifting for Ab's by Lou Schuler, he has many exercises that are for the core without doing crunches.
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How about looking up belly dancing workouts? They do work and they often combine some cardio too which is best for melting off the fat. Try doing standing abdominal crunches where you stand with feet hip width and then bring your stomach to your spine and do a C curve. One workout DVD I use is from Exercise TV. The DVD is titled "Slim Down". It's a short 10 minute workout but it really works up a sweat combining different moves.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My favorite ab exercises, while not standing ones, are planks. I think they get those ab muscles burnin' even more than crunches, and unless you do them wrong and allow your back to sag, they shouldn't hurt.
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9pEMDQGvXM

I do these and it really works well for me!!
  • temptress75519
    temptress75519 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is the standing abs workout I do. I also have issues with my back and these don't agitate the problem at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfTvsucsp0
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' DVD "6 Week Six-Pack" has a lot of standing ab exercises. I like the jackknives, where you put your arms together over your head, then keeping your arms straight, bring them down while lifting your foot toward your hands (legs straight). Alternate lifting right & left legs while bringing your arms down. Not sure if that makes sense, sort of hard to explain!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Ah, something I to alot with in kickboxing. Put your right hand on top of your head. Now raising your right leg and bending to the side at the same time without letting your hand come off your head, try to touch your elbow and kneecap together. You can also do this by raising the left leg up and "crossing over" to touch your right elbow to the left knee cap.
    Another is to lean back your upper torso and bring your knees up repeatedly as high as you can. The higher the better.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump