whats so bad about having too much protein?

Options
So for the last few days i've been having too much protein, I understand about why too much fat and carbs is bad, but why protein??? I always thought that protein was very important,

Thanks for reading!!!!!!

S x

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein pretty low for individuals so don't fret. In fact many of the lifters on here consume about a gram of protein per pound of body weight like myself. Unless you have kidney issues, high protein is nothing to worry about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any health issues that affect your kidneys, then it probably isn't bad. If you do have health issues that could affect your kidneys then you should contact your doctor. The MFP setting is the current medical recommendation for the average healthy adult. You may need more or less than that depending your physical condition and lifestyle. But outside health issues a little extra is unlikely to hurt you.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm always trying to induce my wife to get a little more protein in her diet.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Excess protein will just be exerted or used as energy/stored as fat. It takes the body more effort to digest it, so you will be burning more calories doing that compared to eating plain fat or carbs which just shoot straight to your fay cells if not used.
    But if you eat TOO much protein it might damage your liver and kidney as it has to work so hard to process them into energy.
    You need a nice balance, but if you are lifting or trying to lose weights I would go 1.6 x each Kilo weight. I personally use the 40 carb: 30 protein : 30 fat rule.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Who told you it was bad? Are you another one that's afraid of the color red? Red merely indicates a number less than zero.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Rose it won't sorry. It is dealt with by your kidneys and unless you have renal failure you'll be fine on just about any amount!
    Source

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

PMID: 10722779 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

They concluded that a protective effect of high-casein diet against CsA-induced proximal tubular damage was observed in Sprague–Dawley rats. Lacroix et al. studied the effects of a very-high-protein diet in rats over a period of 6 months. Forty eight Wistar rats received either a normal-protein diet (14% protein) or a very-high-protein diet (50% protein). No nephrocalcinosis, no area of collagenous sclerosis, and no hypercellularity were detectable. Also, endothelial and mesangial cells were normal and so were surrounding tubules.

Pons M, Plante I, LeBrun M et al. Protein-rich diet attenuates cyclosporin A-induced renal tubular damage in rats. J Renal Nutr 2003; 13: 84–92
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    swanysez....... ewwww
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm always trying to induce my wife to get a little more protein in her diet.

There's always one in the crowd... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • loftard1
    loftard1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Too much protien all at once can be bad. Your body only uses 24 grams of protien per every few hours anything over it just gets rid of and its just over working your kidney. I know first hand of protien poisning was driking several scoopes of protien shack wich totaled 56 grams of protien in one sitting. Boy did i get sick. An i wasnt driking enough water as well. Just have to find the balance cause you get protien not just from meat theres amount of protien in alot of foods we eat. if your body buildding you generally eat 1 gram of protien per pound you way and alittle more if you plan on bulking up just make sure to drink pleanty of water.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Too much protien all at once can be bad. Your body only uses 24 grams of protien per every few hours anything over it just gets rid of and its just over working your kidney. I know first hand of protien poisning was driking several scoopes of protien shack wich totaled 56 grams of protien in one sitting. Boy did i get sick. An i wasnt driking enough water as well. Just have to find the balance cause you get protien not just from meat theres amount of protien in alot of foods we eat. if your body buildding you generally eat 1 gram of protien per pound you way and alittle more if you plan on bulking up just make sure to drink pleanty of water.

No it does't and no it isn't. I eat 75-100g of protein every 3 hours.

I've even posted fact above.

To clarify - everyone has an amount of FOOD they can digest. It simply will run thro the system at the speed at it can be dealt with.