Losing inches everywhere except my calves

Options
I've been doing cardio 3 days a week and on 3 separate days, I do strength training. I'm losing inches like crazy all over my body, but my calves are the same size they were before I lost any weight at all. How can my calves possibly be the same size that they were 80lbs ago? Am I going to wear a size 6 one day and still have calves that belong to a size 22? I know I can't spot reduce, but my calves are massive and not feminine. My thighs are looking amazing, but what are nice thighs without nices calves? And I know I'm measuring right because I use a freckle for a point of reference. Anyone else have this problem or know if they will eventually go down?

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Whose to say you didn't already have size 6 calves to begin with :bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I've been doing cardio 3 days a week and on 3 separate days, I do strength training. I'm losing inches like crazy all over my body, but my calves are the same size they were before I lost any weight at all. How can my calves possibly be the same size that they were 80lbs ago? Am I going to wear a size 6 one day and still have calves that belong to a size 22? I know I can't spot reduce, but my calves are massive and not feminine. My thighs are looking amazing, but what are nice thighs without nices calves? And I know I'm measuring right because I use a freckle for a point of reference. Anyone else have this problem or know if they will eventually go down?
    Genetics play a role here. If your parents on either side have big calves, then you'll usually have them. Also if you've been overweight most of you life, your calves have gradually adjusted to the weight bearing by "growing" the whole time. Since legs are used every day, with calves bearing most of the weight along with your feet, they seldom change in size even if you are losing alot of weight or even gaining weight for that matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My dad has always had larger thighs and calves (he's always been fit) and my cousin has large calves too so maybe it's just how I'm always going to be. I have very skinny ankles and feet though so I feel like it looks super weird.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Do you have definition in your calves? If they aren't super defined, expect to lose "something" from there.

In my personal experience, my body decides to lose weight in waves... my calves haven't really lost anything in a while... whereas my waist is finally taking the hit! I fully expect that to change soon... we just have to wait!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've always had large calves, too, although in my case it's mostly muscle. It is also genetic. I always hated them when I was younger because they weren't "feminine." I've learned to love them over time because they show off my strength without even trying. :laugh:
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do you have definition in your calves? If they aren't super defined, expect to lose "something" from there.

In my personal experience, my body decides to lose weight in waves... my calves haven't really lost anything in a while... whereas my waist is finally taking the hit! I fully expect that to change soon... we just have to wait!

I have definition when I flex them but I can tell there is a little bit of fat that could go. Maybe my calves will just be the last thing to go.
  • Lyndsay_Love
    Options
    I also have large calves! I can tell there is still some fat to be lost but they've always been fairly solid. It runs in my family as well, or at least for the women. My brother has better legs then I'll ever have! lol
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My calves are the bane of my existence ... they were even before I gained all the weight. At least then they were clearly muscular and strong, but I couldn't find a pair of boots that fit. I say, just keep on keeping on.
  • dezaraepeeples
    dezaraepeeples Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've always had large calves, too, although in my case it's mostly muscle. It is also genetic. I always hated them when I was younger because they weren't "feminine." I've learned to love them over time because they show off my strength without even trying. :laugh:
    I have to agree with this. I used to hate my calves because they're so big (and make buying any shoes that come over my calves a p.i.t.a.), but I love them, especially when wearing skirts and heels! They're not super-defined, but they're mine, and I love them :) They look strong.