Water! Water! Water!

Options
I have been drinking the 8 glasses of water but my body keeps craving more water. I've been drinking the water today. can I drink more than the 8 glasses of water? does anyone know about places that tell you for what amount you weigh you need to drink that many ounces of water? Ex: for me I need to drink 100 ounces at my 200 pounds. wouldn't that be to excessive on the water? what does drinking the water like that do?

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    You should be safe drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces, no problem.

I also can't seem to stop drinking water. I drink about 96 ounces a day, but I only weigh 119 lbs.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 130 ounces of water a day along with one diet coke, one cup of coffee and several 32 ounce glasses of iced green tea and my doctor (endo) say that I can not drink too much and it is good since it is flushing out my kidneys. Drink what your body needs/asks for and you will be fine. I weigh 153 pounds at 5 feet 7 inches but I feel dehydrated if I do not drink my water every day.
  • shonda_gonzalez
    shonda_gonzalez Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Speaking with zero evidence to back me up, I'm not sure you can ever drink too much water. 8 is the MINIMUM you should drink.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a lot more than 8 glasses a day. It's different for different people, but if you're constantly thirsty that's a symptom of diabetes. It might be worth it to get tested.
  • queensassypants
    Options
    I have heard that too... and started drinking half my weight in ounces a couple weeks ago. Its true, it works. I find that when I am drinking THAT much water it helps if its NOT cold. Good luck, its annoying, but it really has helped me.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    100 ounces is not excessive at all (especially if you work out & sweat). I've read MANY articles that suggest you drink at least half your body weight in ounces each day. I highly doubt there would be anything but GOOD effects from you doing this! You will feel better, more energy, your organs will be able to function better - I'd go for it!

Article about drinking too much water: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Benefits of drinking water: http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html

:drinker:
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You really can't get too much water. The only time water can be bad is if you're doing extreme physical activity and drinking gallons of water. In these cases the water flushes out electrolytes and no electrolytes + extreme physical activity = not good. Listen to your body, if thirsty drink. Water isn't the enemy and it won't do harm. :)
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow, you all can drink some water!!!! I am happy when I get more than 8! :happy:
  • jessicas0215
    Options
    I drink about a gallon of water a day. I crave it too!!!
    I told my Dr about this and he said it is great!!!
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon a day. My body feels soooo good now that I've upped my water intake. It helps flush out the meds I take for my lupus, it keeps me hydrated, curbs my cravings and helps my muscles repair after I abuse them. Drink up!
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    I usually drink a lot more than 8 glasses a day. It's different for different people, but if you're constantly thirsty that's a symptom of diabetes. It might be worth it to get tested.

Excellent post!!
  • McSnoozle
    McSnoozle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are thirsty, drink some water. I've heard that the body can't really process any more than 8 oz per hour; but if your day is 16 hours.... that could double it for you! I think the "water poisoning or intoxication" occurs when someone drinks waaaay too much all at once. Also, if you drink coffee or caffeinated tea, that can make you thirstier, too. Lemonade does that to me! I generally want somewhere between 9 and 12 glasses a day. You'll make a lot of bathroom trips, but that's good for you.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Drink up! I am not an expert, but I dont think you can drink too much water. I think Half your body ounces in water is the way to go! :)

Water is beneficial because it hydrates your whole body...all your organs (yes, your skin will be glowin!), regulates body temps, helps minimize aches and pains by hydrating your joints, bones and muscles, protects our organs and gets rid of toxins, and it will help increase your metabolism by around 2 or 3%...(or so I have heard). :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day isn't bad for you unless when you're done taking a nice sized drink you don't feel satisfied and are still very thirsty. In that case I would recommend that you ask your health care provider to rule out diabetes. Rest assured that a lot of people drink more than the minimum recommended amount of water daily.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS have my bottle of Brita with me whereever i go. Sometimes i use Arizona Iced Tea with it, but i always am drinking something.
  • Mrcheeks1
    Options
    I was always thirsty and also used the restroom quite a bit. I went to the doctor and found that I was diabetic and that this is one of the possible signs. Just for your own well-being, you should check your blood sugar or see your physician. It never hurts to be safe. I wish you the best!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you are thirsty and/or dehydrated, then drink. It is possible to drink too much water, but you would have to drink so much, it's not really a worry.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm all for drinking water...the more the better...but you can actually drink too much water. If you drink a severely large amount in a limited period of time it can actually change the salinity levels of your blood...and through osmosis water rushes into your cells expanding them to the point of bursting. Granted this doesn't happen very often, and you need to drink a LOT of water to make it happen, but just know it is possible to drink too much.
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you have no known kidney impairments, your kidneys can filter about 800 to 1,000 mL or 0.21 to 0.26 gallons of water every hour, according to "Scientific American." Because one gallon equals 16 cups of water, you can drink about 4 cups of water every hour without causing a problem for your kidneys.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/512347-how-much-water-can-a-human-process-per-hour/#ixzz1oRb8JRz4

:)
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    You pretty much CAN'T drink too much water. There are, of course, electrolyte issues you can get into if you drink some stupendous amount of water.. I'd say if you're drinking more than 5 or 6 liters a day, just have a tiny pinch of salt for every liter after that and you can stave off even those problems.