Anyone else suffer from NS-RED (sleep eating)???

Options
I have kept this condition of mine pretty much a secret since I was a teenager. The only people who really know the extent of it are close family:

My father (who used to clean up my cereal, milk, and nacho cheese Doritos mess)
My ex-husband (who used to catch me going up the stairs with a plate full of food - our bedroom was downstairs)
My current hubby (who is in the Navy so hasn't had to witness it much)
My kids (they hear the bowls, plates, and silverware clanging in the middle of the night)

I recently shared it with a co-worker because she struggles with her weight and I thought she needed a laugh. I laugh about it, too, but deep down I know this is jeopardizing my weight-loss efforts. :grumble: :sad:

Last night was the last straw for me. I've been doing really well with clean eating and eating organically as much as possible. But, this morning I got up and there were chocolate chip cookies out and at least 6 were gone!!! I hardly EVER eat or even crave cookies/cakes/sweets. I usually eat healthy stuff during these "episodes" (salad, soup, sandwich), but I know it all adds calories... Calories I need to be cutting down!!! :mad:

AM I ALONE IN THIS WICKED NIGHTMARE????

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Wow - I've never heard of that. Nope, I do all my eating wide awake, unfortunately. I hope you find some folks who can identify with you and support you, maybe offer some solutions. I can sympathize, but that's about all.
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    another friend of mine posted a blog about her sleep eating. I will message you and maybe you two can talk about it. I have looked it up and read into it a little. Here is just a little of what I have read about it.
    How Are Sleep-Related Eating Disorders Treated?
    Treatment of sleep-related eating disorders begins with an interview and may include an overnight stay in a sleep lab, where brain activity is monitored during the night. Medication sometimes can be helpful for these disorders; however, sleeping pills should be avoided as they can increase confusion and clumsiness that can lead to injury. Additional treatments may include methods to release stress and anxiety. Examples of these methods include stress management classes, assertiveness training, counseling, and limiting intake of alcohol and caffeine.

Treatment varies by individual, but may include:

improving sleep hygiene (simple measures to encourage successful sleep, such as setting up a quiet and comfortable sleeping environment, going to bed at the same time every night, and getting up the same time every morning, and avoiding stimulants) to avoid sleep deprivation, which can increase episodes
    making the sleep and kitchen environments safer
    changing medications used to treat other disorders
    prescribing medication to reduce SRED
    About Sleep-Related Eating Disorder
    SRED is characterized by compulsive binge eating during episodes of sleepwalking in the night. Read more about symptoms and risk factors.
  • beeruin
    beeruin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post a little note of support. I'm so glad you are sharing your struggles. it doesn't have to be a secret you keep. Unburdening your load a bit, even if it is just on here, will surely help.
  • brutiful
    brutiful Posts: 12
    Options
    this is the first topic/forum i have specifically sought out on here. im actually surprised that there arent more posts on this- shows how much i know! haha

i dont know, and doubt, that i could be legitamately diagnosed with NS-RED... but i do have my moments of sleep eating. my old neighbor/roommate used to joke about and share our mutual "sleep eating" experiences... you know, waking up to find the entire 2 pt container of cottage cheese that was unopened when you went to bed practically licked clean; or the pizza that we'd only had 3 slices from open on the counter with just crumbs and a couple crusts.

i'va always shrugged these incidents off- told myself that i was just midnight snacking out of control since most of the time i do have a vague recollection of snacking... but this morning i woke up feeling oddly full and to find an empty pack of beef jerky, a jar of pickled pepper rings, and a bag of cheese puffs lying out on the counter- with no recollection of how they got there. ive been SO good with exercizing, eating well, and staying under my calorie goal recently. it is INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING to know that when im concious im doing everything right- yet once my head hits the pillow i have no control over late night cravings and am apparently out to sabotage my body!

i dont know if its starts out as a trip to the bathroom or just the need for a glass of water- but apparently once im up the calorie fest begins. i generally go to bed at around the same time every night, i dont consume caffiene after 3pm, and my biggest meal of the day is usually dinner in an effort to go to bed full (not stuffed, mind you). i dont know if i should just try to keep snacks out of the apt, not take home left overs (extra bummer when those are gone in the morning, when i was planning to take those to work for lunch that day...), or what.

anyway- bottom line, marti- i feel your pain and you're NOT ALONE!! whether my sleep eating is legitimate or not- theres got go be a way to figure this out! please let me know what you've tried recently and if anythings worked for you.

good luck!
  • mrshayes1584
    Options
    I haven't read this thread yet,i'm about to but I just want to say thank you all for posting about this.I need to talk to people who relate!
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Its no big deal as long as you Sleep Log too.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    Its no big deal as long as you Sleep Log too.

I'd probably freak out/pass out if I knew exactly how many calories I had to log because of this. LOL
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Me and you, same boat, honey!!!! Others in that boat too. Drives me BONKERS, I get it. I am tired of it, hate it and cant help but think where I would be if I didnt eat peanut butter like friggin pudding. :sad:
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am glad I found this post. I ran a search cuz I have this problem and it poses the worst obstacle in my weight loss. I have tried stocking the fridge with easy to eat snacks but low calorie like fat free pudding and sugar free jello. It helps sometimes. But not when left overs are in the fridge or my daughter bakes brownies or lemon pie. I try to always log the food but sometimes it takes me ALL day to remember and find all the evidence. Tonight it was lemon pie that my daughter baked. I told her she needs to go spend some time with her dad so i can loose some weight cuz she is bored out of school and baking every day.

(sleep deprived, fat and hungry in las vegas)
  • GypsyJourneyeur
    Options
    Whatever can we do? Would love to hear from anyone who wants to regularly discuss how to approach this disorder from a new direction. I have been to professional sleep clinic, removed high calorie foods from home, taken aids to help me sleep more soundly, used metaphysical techniques, tried all kinds of sleep hygiene tips, etc. No one can remove all stress and few can remove all food completely from their living space. Perhaps discussing the issue would remove some of the power it has over us. Does anyone know if hypnotherapy helps...or anything? thanks...
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this before. Particularly with children with learning difficulties (not that I'm comparing you in that way). Their parents had to go to some pretty extreme lengths such as locks on cupboards, locking the kitchen door, and an alarm that would go off to wake the parents so they could get them back into bed. I know it's extreme but I do sympathise as sleepwalking can be very distressing and if it was me I'd be asking my husband to lock the kitchen at night.
  • ericraymondr
    Options
    I actually suffer from this and finding people who understand and can support you in it is difficult. So little is really known about the disorder. If anyone is reading this who suffers or just wants to help, please contact me. I would love to chat
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old topic but holy crap am I happy to hear I'm not the only one. It's been like this since college and though it can be controlled sometimes other times I need to lock up my food.

It sucks for weight loss. Sorry/happy to hear I'm not alone.