Running...wind

Options
sgmomma
sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
I'm a newbie runner and lately its been windy here. Talking like 25+ mph winds. Any advice for running in crazy winds. I need to get out today and run and it's gusting at about 33mph.

Replies

• ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No advice, as so much to say it makes for a great workout :) We have been having crazy high winds here too. My 6 mile yesterday was hilarious. I went a new route that is pretty much downhill 3 miles, uphill 3 (I live a mile from the Missouri river, not much flat running around my house) Anyway the wind felt like it was coming towards me on the down, and on the up. I just had to keep "marching" up and telling myself I can do it. I also have a playlist of "power" music for hills and the like. I was CRANKING that when the wind picked up!! I also tell myself "think how fast you'll be when this wind dies down" hahaha.

Good luck, you get use to it.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Think of it as unplanned resistance / speed training...:wink::wink: :wink:
  • darrell62
    darrell62 Posts: 40
    Options
    As Forrest Gump said, Just Run. No tips ot tricks to it.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Lean forward ALOT!!!! LMAO
  • jdestef2001
    jdestef2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1) Go out into the wind, let it blow you home.
    2) Focus on form/technique, not speed or distance.

Good luck!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do, just keep pushing forward. :)
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm running today and it's really windy here as well (Ontario). Try to pick a route where the wind is at your side or back for the majority of it. If you can't avoid the wind, the general rule is to run into the wind for the beginning of your run when you are fresh, and have the wind at your back for your return. Have fun and try not to blow away :laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Try biking in it, then running in it won't seem so bad.

Take shorter strides if you're having trouble with balance. If it's just the resistance, then take advantage of it, push through it, and get a better-than-planned workout.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    lol amazing ! not! the wind was only like 15 the other day but it was fun pushing my 25lb 1 year old..this time increase wind and add my 2 1/2 year old! I better get my workout outta this! lol

Ritmeyer - But you have such pretty scenery! my sisters live in the lake of the ozarks and I'd love to run there. I have kansas...nothing too exciting here!
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    get one of them high speed bike helmets, and some spandex shorts. :laugh: :laugh: No real tips just run with the wind!!!:bigsmile:
  • jabba11
    jabba11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    windy here too. Avoid open flat areas adn try to limit running in one direction for a long period of time. I run an area around my neighborhood, the homes help block the straight line stuff and by changing direction often you avoid runnig for great stretches against the wind. Also...treadmill..I know those sound obvious but maybe it will be helpful to you.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When it's windy, ideally take a route that will send you into the wind on the way out and have it at your back on the way home. It will feel great to have it behind you after fighting it.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Generally the wind is out of a general direction, for my area, allot of cold strong winds from the West to North West . But no matter the direction, I do out and back runs, and I go out in the direction of the predominant wind direction so that it is on my back most of the way home. its tough going, but Id rather push into the wind the first half, than after I'm already fatigued.

Saturday I ran 12 miles, the first 6 into a 20 mph wind. it was amazing when I turned around, felt like I had a new burst of energy. hah.. I called it my "second wind"
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same here in Ireland…it's crazy windy right now! Especially along the sea where I usually run. Some days, I let it make me mad, but I've decided recently to look at it as a challenge. When the wind starts pushing me backwards, I just yell in my head (and occasionally outloud much to the distress of passersby), "bring it on, b****! is that all you got? your wind can't stop me!" And then I run faster. I can't wait to see what my times are when there's no wind...

But then I'll be complaining that I'm hot and I'd kill for a breeze. hehehe. :tongue:
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Get a spoiler for your hat to keep you from going airborne.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    We have crazy wind here, too. Yesterday was 30 MPH with gusts to 60 MPH.

I do a lot of running in my neighborhood so I can turn and run in a different direction every quarter mile or so. I'm an interval runner, so depending on how my run is going and what my goal is for that day I'll either run with it at my back and walk into the wind or vice versa. Where I live is flat so running into the wind is a good workout for me since there aren't any hills.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    1) Watch out with hats - especially baseball types.
    2) Some form of eye protection, like sunglasses. Hopefully it's sunny enough. Run without them, and there's no telling what could blow into them.
    3) Watch what you wear. It's windy, not necessarily cold. A windbreaker is helpful, but don't dress like it's blizzard conditions if it's 60.
    4) I like to start out running against the wind, turn around, then run with the wind home. It's gets the hard part over with, and I don't finish thinking how hard or bad that was.
    5) It's still a run, and it's still fun. Maybe more challenging? But still much more fun than NOT running.
    6) Be careful in wooded areas. It's easy for limbs to break and fall. I was biking in a heavy wind through a forest yesterday, and almost got clonked by falling limbs.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    embrace it!
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have been wondering that too! I'm new at running also and will be doing my first 5k on the 17th but today it is gusting 25 to 30 mph. I will learn from your question.