I can't

Options
I just feel completely drained and pathetic and all I want to do is curl up in my bed and not wake up for a long, long time
But I need to go for a walk because I need to exercise
But people are outside and they'll see me
I hate myself

Ugh
Does anyone else ever feel this way? How can I force myself to go walking?

Replies

• earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "can't"

Instead you "currently struggle" with motivation.
  • greeneyedredneckangel
    Options
    you should not feel that way but yes i believe everyone has those days from time to time but you need to get motivated and say screw the world i am doing this for me i deserve this and get your butt out of bed and do this for your self
  • ririwhitepaws
    ririwhitepaws Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and fully agree. Felt like that every day until only a couple of weeks ago when I changed my mindset. Don't know if you have faith, but I spoke to God and myself and found a much better headspace. Who cares what other people think or say, look after the one and only vessel you have to travel through this world. Get off your *kitten* and think "I want to improve my life, my health and my well being, who needs other poeple's permission and opionions?".

If you haven't got faith, then just speak to that inner strength that we all have and find that positive headspace.

Good luck

PS. Still feel like staying glued to the sofa most days, but always feel better once I've had that walk.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Sounds like depression, you might want to talk to someone about this.
  • mariobrochill
    Options
    This sounds serious dude. I say check it out. Speak with a psychologist or someone brah. If anything, we're here for motivation.
  • rkpixler
    rkpixler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You'll never regret doing, but you WILL regret not doing!!!!
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree that you sound like you have depression. I've struggled with it most of my life. All of my family struggles with it and my brother recently took his life because of it. So I strongly suggest talking to your doctor. I take zoloft and it makes a WORLD of difference for me. When I was nursing we dropped it down to 25 mg and all summer I sat on the couch and played Mario...I have 4 kids and that is what I did all summer?? After my brothers death I woke up and realized that the medicine was no longer working. We up'd the dose to 100mg and I feel normal. I can't say I love exercising, but I don't feel glued to my couch anymore.

Depression is a sneaky illness and it usually takes someone else to really notice you have it. I'm not trying to push my views off on you, just want to make this suggestion in case you have considered it. Goodluck!
  • tlschlp
    tlschlp Posts: 54
    Options
    My solution? Sunglasses (that magically shield not just my eyes from the sun, but my image from others around me) and my iPod (to keep myself focused on keeping pace with the music, not noticing others who pass me).

Besides that? I keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for no one else but myself and keep on walking. I enjoy walking, even the same path every day ... surprisingly, I don't get bored with that like I do with exercise vids.

Keep track of how far you walk on dailymile.com ... and continue to notice how much further you are walking, or how much faster, etc. That will also keep you accountable and motivated.

Hold your head up high and start stepping out!

Good luck! :happy:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    You can. And it just takes a choice to do it. Just put on your sunglasses, grab iPod, etc... whatever will make you feel more comfortable. Just get yourself out the door and you'll feel much better after breathing some fresh air.
  • tryingtoeatproperly
    Options
    I've had on-off bouts of depression since I was 12 so you guys advocating the doctor are probably right
    thanks for all the advice, everyone
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've had on-off bouts of depression since I was 12 so you guys advocating the doctor are probably right
    thanks for all the advice, everyone

I think the "I hate myself" in your original post is very telling of depression. Normally you wouldn't feel that way unless you've done something very wrong. But when I'm depressed that is the exact feeling I have too. You REALLY need to get help...once you got the depression under control, losing weight and exercising will be SO much easier, I promise!!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    "I can't" shouldn't be in your vocabulary. The ONLY thing that can hold you back is you. That said, I agree with PPs that you should see your doctor, especially if you have a history of depression. Good luck! :)