Running...wind

Options
2»

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Depending on how fast you're running sometimes it can help you along to run with your back to it so it pushes you. Personally I like running or walking against it for the push and when I'm finishing or doing a cool down, have it at my back to help me make that last bit without really slowing down.
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Lean forward ALOT!!!! LMAO
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    So no excuses and great advice!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    A good time to mix in some trail running where the trees help block the wind.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i thought you were talking about something completely different!
  • tmlandis
    tmlandis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1) Go out into the wind, let it blow you home.
    2) Focus on form/technique, not speed or distance.

Good luck!

Yeah...do this. I hate, hate, hate the wind but it is a good resistance workout! I'm supposed to do 4 miles today and we have 40+mph gusts...it may be a treadmill day, I'm still deciding.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    i thought you were talking about something completely different!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We had high winds here yesterday, and my run was a bit more challenging because of it! I make several turns, so had the wind coming at form all directions at some point! Running directly into it was some serious resistance!

One thing for sure is sunglasses (someone else mentioned them too!) - even if it's overcast, they protect your eyes from the wind and blowing dust. I drove past my running route later in the day yesterday and there was major dust blowing off the fields - glad I missed that on my morning run! :tongue:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    This actually isn't a weird question at all. I find that when I run in wind that I end up getting earaches. Either: 1) use ear plugs or 2) headphones. That will at least block your ears from it. You'll probably want to pull your hair back so it doesn't block your vision or wear a hat.

Shannon
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I hate running in the wind, but it gets me so pissed off that I just plow right through it. So for me, anger helps.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Ran my first marathon last year, and with my luck on that day there was a steady 20-25 mph wind with gust into the 40mph range. There were times where I felt like I was running in place, it was God awful, worst running condition that you could ask for, and oh yeah did I mention the marathon took place on the broadwalk so that there was absolutely no shelter from the wind. The thing I had to do to prevent my legs from becoming to fatigued, to quickly, was to shorten my stride when running into the wind and then running normal when the wind was at my back.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody this helps alot! I was hoping to go on a walking path today thats partially wooded to help, but I don't think I can get my double stroller in my trunk. So the kids and I will stay in the neighborhood an try to change up the direction enough.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    lol amazing ! not! the wind was only like 15 the other day but it was fun pushing my 25lb 1 year old..this time increase wind and add my 2 1/2 year old! I better get my workout outta this! lol

Ritmeyer - But you have such pretty scenery! my sisters live in the lake of the ozarks and I'd love to run there. I have kansas...nothing too exciting here!

Yes, I do love the scenery where I live!! Running is awesome, especially when i get to do trail runs...doing a trail half on sunday.

Wind + stroller= ahhhhhhh!!! hahahaha. I did a 2 mile this morning with my double and I swear my 16 month old could have beat us if she had gotten out and walked when we were going into the wind. 29 mph here in the MO today :)
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Brought the road bike to work and did 13.6 at lunch. Super hard riding into the wind, but a blast coming back with it at my back.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Find the nearest treadmill.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Wear eye protection. I hate the wind too. I'm not very big, so my weight alone, the wind will pick me up off my feet around here. My last training run was 15 miles in 25 mph winds with 40 mph gusts. I had a fast time on my out, but my back was directly into the wind. My biggest problems wasn't the wind resistance, but the wind simply blowing into my lungs making breathing difficult, we have dust/brown outs with our wind too. If it's a run I can manage on the treadmill, if not I will opt for indoor biking and skip it or put it off for earlier the next day. I work around it and modify if necessary.