Bar Method? Does it work?

Options
I used to lift 3-4 times a week and do cardio and got into awesome shape. Then I came back from my honeymoon, got lazy, got injured and now need to get back into it. I started lifting again but I also have been doing the Bar Method DVD a few times a week. Im not seeing results yet and I am wondering if I am burning enough calories or if this is a waste of time?

I am 5'2" and about 109-111 pounds.

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    It's a new hype, it takes time to figure out if it works or not. but for sure the character they put into it does works. i say give it time and decide for yourself it it works or not. every person is different anyway....
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the Bar Method DVDs, but I just started taking barre classes. First one kicked my *kitten*.

I've heard great things about the Bar Method. With that said, you are small and if you're fit, you're apt to burn less calories.
  • DBell28
    Options
    thanks guys. so Jillybeanruns - you think its a waste of time and I should just stick to weight intervals and cardio? Im limited with my cardio because I have a bum foot and cant run. I can walk and ride the bike....
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh no, don't put words in my mouth. A low burn doesn't mean you shouldn't do something, with body weight training and weight training, your HR will never get (and stay) very high. I'm just saying that you're not going to burn as much, but not that doesn't mean it's not worth doing at all. I'm being forced to step back from running and my physical therapist suggested I try barre to help with my overall strength, stretch and to help me get my low impact sweat on.
  • gnatseyelashes
    gnatseyelashes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had better results with the actual class than the DVD's. The instructors and other class participants seem to add to the intensity. I didn't lose weight, but I did lose inches. Also, I loved my Bar Body. People asked me if I was a dancer. I'm not. When I lifted weights, I was quite bulky (I'm 5'8"). BTW. If you have a bad foot, you may not be able to do the Bar Method. Most of the thigh and "seat" work is done with your heels lifted. I love it. Gotta get back to it.
  • Cath138
    Cath138 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Personnaly, I do the dvds, it's been 20 days and I feel the difference (more flexible, stronger). I have been doing Change your body 6 times a week (first week) and I feel better. I think that the dvd is a good alternative when there is no class in your area. On their website, they say it takes four month to really see the results, so keep it up :)
  • MoveIt8158
    Options
    I know I'm late to the game to respond to this.... BUT I've been doing the Bar Method "Change Your Body" DVD for about 4 weeks (2-3x a week) and I see a change in my body. I'm ALSO doing 45- 60 minutes of cardio on alternating days, but I didn't see a real change until I incorporated the Bar Method DVD. I'm excited to get the accelerated dvd as well.

I've only been to a Bar Method class once, but the DVDs are a great alternative. Good luck and keep pushing!
  • justineismoney
    justineismoney Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I personally love Bar Method and have seen results in less then a month, but I take the classes in a studio. If you're not doing the right form I imagine it hinders your results. Often I think I'm doing a move right, but sure enough the teacher comes over to correct me and then I really feel the burn.