eatting less than my reccomended calories

Options
i am currently eatting between 800 to 1000 calories and my fitness pal is telling me to eat 1380. if i continue eatting how i am can i stil expect the same about of weight loss projected??

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to eat what is recommended.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eat to your calorie goal. Eating too little results in loss of muscle.

I didn't believe it, either, and used to eat under 1000 calories a day. The results?
    --->> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I agree eat what is recommended because they calculate based on current weight and how much you plan to exercise.
  • chas1933
    chas1933 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    according to my dr. you should eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. i've only been on here for a couple of months but i have found i lose more weight if i eat 1500 calories instead of the 1200 i tried for a little while. in my opinion 800 -1000 is not enough. if you exercise it sure isn't enough. hope it helps.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When you set up your MFP account, you give it your basic information (gender, height, weight and activity level) and also tell it how much weight you want to lose per week. Based on all this data, MFP gives you a daily calorie limit that already includes a calorie deficit. It will not allow you to have a calorie goal less than 1200 as this is the minimum needed for women for healthy function.

If you eat too little, you risk compromising your weight loss goals as too little nutrition can cause what's referred to as starvation mode - too many days under minimum calories and your body will tend to retain more of the fat it needs for functioning and may even cause muscle loss. The same thing will happen if you burn enough calories to cause a large deficit on top of the one MFP has already set you up with - this is why the program is set up so that you "earn" these calories back and you're encouraged to consume at least half of them to make sure you're fueling your body properly.

You wouldn't try to run a car on an empty tank, right? Same goes for your body - you need the fuel to keep going.

The point of this site is not just to help folks lose weight but to make sure they're doing so in a healthy way.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    if you've got no idea on what you should be eating you should go see a doctor, they will tell you exactly what you should be doing. or do some internet research on calorie intake because yeh you'll lose weight on a minimum amount of calories but you'll starve your body and your metabolism will slow down and you'll just end up losing muscle and gaining when you eat more calories because your body is storing what it can as fat to keep you alive. My mother is living proof of this and struggles greatly with her weight because she destroyed her metabolism starving herself!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I keep missing what they say to eat too but when you are done for the day & submit your food diary It tells you what you need to keep your body from going into starvation mode mine says 1200 cal were the amount of calories needed so I made sure I had at least that amount even if I didn't hit the full total they said I should eat. Often adding something dairy like a glass of milk at dinner adds quite a few calories & the much needed calcium a lot of people miss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    eating so little will cause you body to burn muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing. An intake at 800 cals you can look forward to weak brittle nails, loss of hair, loss of muscle, skin issues, etc. I suggest you eat a minimum of 1200 Net (1200 plus eat back what you burn from exercise)

And Malnutrition. It is difficult to get the required micro (vitamins and minerals) and macros (fats and protein) on a diet less than 1200 cals/day.
  • dsagaties1963
    Options
    if you've got no idea on what you should be eating you should go see a doctor, they will tell you exactly what you should be doing. or do some internet research on calorie intake because yeh you'll lose weight on a minimum amount of calories but you'll starve your body and your metabolism will slow down and you'll just end up losing muscle and gaining when you eat more calories because your body is storing what it can as fat to keep you alive. My mother is living proof of this and struggles greatly with her weight because she destroyed her metabolism starving herself!
    I am living proof of that I would eat once a day or every other day, I have all kinds of health complications because of that life style, I am not up to eating my daily calories yet, but I am losing weight because I am actually forcing myself to eat 3 times a day which is a heck of a lot more than I was doing. But I have noticed now that I'm eating more and exercising I'm getting closer to that goal of eating my calories that is my goal then it will be to eat most of my exercise calories too. My doctor told me because of the way I ate, I don't have to eat them all but soon I will have too, please don't end up like me, borderline diabetic, way overweight, needing knee replacement, hanicapped etc, etc... All due from not eating correctly. Ask the doctor if your not sure but the advice I have been getting on here has been wonderful and the support well all I can say is awesome. I'm a newbie and I'm still looking for more friends so anyone please feel free to add me