From Forrest Whittaker to Forrest Gump

Options
2»

Replies

• MelodyGlennon
    Options
    This made me smile from ear to ear!!!! I am really happy for you! I run every day and its amazing, so I know how you feel! Keep up the hard work and you'll be a kick *kitten* runner in no time!
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for you!! My advice? Try a 5K now :) Even if you cannot run the entire time, just finishing is a fantastic feeling. I completed 5 of them last year and even though my times were not anywhere near running speeds, I also did not just walk the entire thing either. I would mix up jogging with running and walking. It is seriously addicting and you will find yourself signing up for another race within 24 hours of finishing, lol. Find a race where everyone gets a finishers medal. Nothing like being handed that awesome bling after pushing through 3.1 miles, sweat dripping down your face and your legs feeling like jelly.

Good luck and keep it up!! :)
  • NicheGuy
    NicheGuy Posts: 58
    Options
    Aw, thanks you guys !! I am gonna look into doing a 5k soon and maybe I will use my thanksgiving goal to finish in under 24 minutes or something. I think this would make good preparation. Thanks for the ideas.
  • CDresp
    CDresp Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Rock on! So motivating!
  • HealthyHoney30
    HealthyHoney30 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love it! Congrats!
  • playsallyplay
    Options
    congratulations! You brought a tear to my eye - I completely understand how you felt....
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Body glide is a must. You don't want to be the runner wearing the red number 11.

http://www.youthink.com/images/2009/09/19/youthinkdotcom_3185100_171636.jpg
  • NicheGuy
    NicheGuy Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments. I really appreciate all the love.
  • endowd
    endowd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to becoming more involved with running. Any advice or tips to give to a beginner ??

Pay the money for a really good pair of shoes. When I first started, I thought my nice cross-trainers from the regular sports store would be fine. I ended up getting really bad shin splints and could barely walk, let alone run, for a few weeks. My friend told me to go get fitted properly, at a running store where they analyze how you move. The shoes were nearly 4x the cost of my other pair, but soooo worth it. They were unbelievably comfortable, incredibly light, honestly felt like I was running on a cloud. And no more pain (until I wore them for too long and all the cushioning wore out!).

If nothing else, invest in a really good pair of running shoes! They will take you places :)
  • endowd
    endowd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I meant to add, spend a little more and buy good socks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!