Losing Body Fat

Options
Any advice for losing body fat?

I am doing cardio 5-6 days a week and I am weight training as well. However, I'm not seeing my BFP going down. I've lost 9lbs but I my body fat has only gone down 1 percent from 28% to 27%. My goal is to be at 22% and about 135lbs.

I'm hoping to trim the BFP and tone up but it doesn't seem to be happening...I don't understand why :(

Replies

• ThenTheresChad
    Options
    gym every other day or everyday & spend a while there doing different workouts everytime you go.. you DONT want to do the same workouts everyday because then your body gets used to it, and you don't lose body fat as much, and do lots of squats, treadmill, crunches, pushups, yoga things like that.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i would like to know too. i am aiming for about 23 % if i can and 127 ish lbs. I am currently 132 ish and at 27.something for bf....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, high protein, heavy lifting
  • _Shelley_
    _Shelley_ Posts: 206
    Options
    gym every other day or everyday & spend a while there doing different workouts everytime you go.. you DONT want to do the same workouts everyday because then your body gets used to it, and you don't lose body fat as much, and do lots of squats, treadmill, crunches, pushups, yoga things like that.

Monday thru Saturday, I cycle for 45mins doing a variety of different rides every week (strength, endurance, all-terrain, etc). I do weight training for 30-45 mins before I ride and do different things. I was doing boot camp but I didn't like how it made my body feel so I do weights on my own now.

I've been at it since Mid-January I just wish I saw more changes other than flattening out a little.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    1300 net might not be enough calories. Make sure your weight loss goal is for a half pound a week.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

^^THIS

Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women as an intro into heavy lifting if necessary.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Set your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5lbs/week, and get enough protein 20-35% of total calories, otherwise you will be losing muscle along with fat. You may also want to lower the amount of cardio and up the strength training. Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • _Shelley_
    Options

^^THIS

Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women as an intro into heavy lifting if necessary.

Thank you! I will google it right now :)
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    Set your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5lbs/week, and get enough protein 20-35% of total calories, otherwise you will be losing muscle along with fat. You may also want to lower the amount of cardio and up the strength training. Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Thank you. I was wondering if that's what I needed to do...(changing my loss goal). I eat 35% protein right now and it's hard for me so I'm adding protein bars and drinks when necessary.
  • mariobrochill
    Options
    This is HORRIBLE advice. Switch up your workouts so your body doesn't get confused? That is horrendous advice. You can't plateau unless there is an increase in either weight of reps/sets. An increase in heavier weight will create a hypertrophic response in muscle fiber plus an increase in myonuclei and and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and an increase in size of myofibrillar fiber size all in regards to compound movements that utilize multiple motor units within a movement.

Keep heavy weight, utilize time under tension, progressively make small increments to training and you shouldn't plateau and don't spew psuedoscience without knowing exercise physiology
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/11/the-beginners-guide-to-building-muscle-and-strength/

Go about halfway down to where the red bit says "I'm not skinny, I need to lose weight..."
    I didn't want to regurgitate it, that's my two cents. Good luck!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You could be going anaerobic versus aerobic during your cardio.
    Check your heart rate zones and stay within them. I bought a HRM and it helps a ton to do that.
  • mariobrochill
    Options
    High protein diet? You're kidding right?
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    What are you doing for strength training? You may need to increase your weights. Also, patience helps. It's a long and sometimes frustrating process, but if you keep at it you'll get there.
  • uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    Since you are doing a lot of cardio, you could try to implement some kind of interval training to that. That really helps to lose body fat.
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Check your diet. Too much cardio is simply gonna break down muscle tissue thus the reason why your body fat is not decreasing. Your gonna have to add some resistance (weight) training and up your protein intake.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    awesome... i want some answers to this too.... i want to burn the fat so i can see the muscles....
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    awesome... i want some answers to this too.... i want to burn the fat so i can see the muscles....

Exactly. I can feel the muscle under there...somewhere lol
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a few ways you can change it up:

I just got back from a fitness conference and i participated in a lecture: Cardiovascular Exercise vs. HIIT. As far as building up cardiovascular strength, HIIT beats CV exercise in the following to areas: Fat burning and Post workout burning. So I know you do cardio 5-6 times a week. Try incorporating speed intervals in your cardio workouts. The intervals don't have to be long. So you can do a 1 minute sprint and 4 minute jog. This can be done on the elliptical too.

Also, since you do cardio 5-6 times a week, you probably stay in your carb burning zones. You might need to throw in some Zone 1 training. This is where you are burning fat the most. Have a zone 1 day at least once a week. With more training, you zone 1 will start to move up. For me, i run on the treadmill at 6 mph for an hour. If you don't know you zones, You should be able to breath in and out your nose in your zone 1 (or hold a conversation).

Strength training: I am not recommending extreme heavy lifting mainly because women don't have the same amount of testosterone to support the same muscle building in males. However, you can train for endurance and strength. Not necessarily for power. Endurance requires 12-15 reps with light weight, Strength is 8-10 reps. I spend about 3 weeks on endurance, 2 weeks in strength, and 1 week in power (4-6 reps with heavy weights). Make it a cycle.

Lastly, diet is a factor. Lower your recommended fat intake by 10-15%. Not too much. If you are going to do HIIT workouts, you need fat.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bump