Female new to strength training... please advise.

Options
La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
I've always done dumbbells (5lbs) in my work outs but as of recently I've started doing the following since I'm 25lbs away from goal. I figured it'd be great to start REALLY hitting the weights. I want to know if there is more I should be doing...

This is my schedule:

Mon- 30 min Arc Trainer plus Strength and Training class (i use 10lb dumbbells and a 15lb weighted bar in there)
Tue- 60 min Step Aerobic class using 2 risers (i'm a badass in step) plus upper body, butt, and abs after class
Wed- 60 min run
Thurs- 45 min Arc Trainer plus upper body, butt, and abs after class
Fri- REST
Sat- 60 min run plus upper body, butt, and abs
Sun- REST (but play soccer on this date)

My upper body, butt/legs, and abs routine include the following:

3 sets of 15 reps using 10lb weights (for each) biceps, triceps and back
Squats using a 20lb bar, 3 sets of 15 reps lunges on each leg and deadlifts using 20lb bar.
For abs I do 50 flutter kicks and 50 mason twists using 8lb weighted ball

There are also more lunges, squats, weights and ab exercises done in my step aerobics class and strength training class.

Is this enough weight? Yesterday I tried to use the bigger bar (above 20lbs) and it was too heavy! So for now I'll stick to 20lbs.. Whatcha think?

Replies

• Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hmmm....I like your routine. When you do the weights and the cardio are you doing it right after each other or do cardio first and then later in the day come back to do Weights?
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I do right after...

I'm in the classroom then go to the weight room where my cute gym boy crush and I, huff and puff together.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 weeks now.

Funny thing is I haven't lost an ounce since starting this.

I was doing everything the same except for no lower body or abs (because I was doing it in class) and also wasn't doing the 2nd run during the week.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. It's AWESOME and really explains how lifting HEAVY weights is the way to go if you want to have a rockin' body. I was skeptical, but I read it and am now following the program (which lasts about 6 months). Anyway, the basics are lift HEAVY weights, drink lots of water and moderate cardio are the keys to achieving your goals. Good luck!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I'll check it out...

I will be lifting heavier.. when I can!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Maybe try increasing weight, and lowering reps? Instead of 15 reps, shoot for 8-10; and instead of 10lbs, try 15 or even 20.

I love the New Rules book too. They give great total-body workouts that are quick, and relatively easy.

Make sure you eat enough, especially protein. I know you just upped your cals, but give it a few weeks, then maybe up some more.

You're still doing a lot of cardio, so if you're feeling tired, I'd scale back the cardio, rather than sacrificing in the weight area.

2 risers?!?! No wonder you have such fabulous legs! :wink:

Keep up the good work! Asking questions, changing things up, and not settling or giving up are sure-fire ways to progress and success.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I was doing everything the same except for no lower body or abs (because I was doing it in class) and also wasn't doing the 2nd run during the week.

Depending on how you're feeling after lifting, you could be retaining water in your muscles (especially if you feel sore the next day), which will not let the scale move, even though you're losing fat. I really suggest getting your body fat tested and taking measurements. The scale is not always the best judge of progress.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Thanks.. the higher weights lower reps sound good.

Yes, I'm definately sore the day after.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Depending on how you're feeling after lifting, you could be retaining water in your muscles (especially if you feel sore the next day), which will not let the scale move, even though you're losing fat. I really suggest getting your body fat tested and taking measurements. The scale is not always the best judge of progress.

Agree with this - if you are going to go more towards really working your muscles the scale may not change but your body may become leaner...so take measurements and if you can get your body fat tested - they will be far better indicators - you could also have someone take pictures of key things - like flexing your biceps and shoulders, take a picture of your abs, etc...in 4 weeks you may not see anything on the scale but you may see some inches gone or some more definition in arms, abs, etc...