Do you wear your HRM all day or only when working out?

Options
Does your HRM double as a watch? I don't want to purchase something that expensive yet not get more out of it than just when I am working out?
Any suggestions on what YOU use and what you do?
Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have worn mine alone (without the chest strap) before or after a workout as a regular watch. Not often because it's bigger than my regular watch, but if I know I'm going to be working out later sometimes I wear it, and then put the chest strap on when I change into my gym clothes.

But I will say the watch only models aren't as accurate as the ones with a chest strap, so if you're shopping around, keep that in mind. :smile:
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I wear mine only when work out.. And I agree with the above comments fully
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    Only when I work out. Plastic doesn't really go with the look I'm going for with regular watches. ;)
  • rtn1911
    rtn1911 Posts: 4
    Options
    Sure. They are great as a watch. I use a Polar FT7. Very comfortable as well as functional.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Hi! Mine is a watch, as well, so I wear it sometimes just for that, although it is a large watch. I have the chest strap, too, and so far I only use that for workouts. I was thinking about wearing it for a regular day of work just to see what it says, but I've heard that HRMs don't give as accurate of a calorie burn at lower heart rates...don't know if that's true or not. Nonetheless I think it would be an interesting comparison to make. In the same way, I plan to use it to measure my heart rate during regular activities like housecleaning and cooking, just out of curiosity.
  • MDdavis25
    Options
    I purchase HRM by New Balance and it's great! I wear my HRM to workout only, I don't wear watches anymore.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Just while working out doing cardio.

Its not designed to be worn all day and will be grossly inaccurate. They are designed to read and process elevated heart rates and calculate calories burned from that. Not to mention you'll run that battery out quick on the chest transmitter leaving it going all day everyday.

If ya want something to wear all day you'll have to go the BodyBugg route or something similar.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wear(and LOVE my Polar FT7) only when I'm working out as I only care about the
    "earned" calories I'm burning. The daily target calroie intake already includes my BMR
    and I don't want to confuse myself and think I can eat back ALL of those calories.

Though it could be fun just to see how many calories are burned in one avg day.