What's on your salad?

Options
I love eating fresh vegetable salads. I am finding that so many dressings have something I don't like. French has a ton of sugar. Olive Oil is obviously very high in fat.
What do you put on your salad that tastes good and you don't mind putting into your body?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hemp oil (don't need a lot, and it's good fats)
    Balsamic vinegar (you can get a lot of flavoured ones which are delicious)
    lemon or lime juice
    Cottage cheese
    Humous
    (Those last 2 are brilliant in a "chop" salad - finely diced cucmber, peppers, tomatoes, celery etc)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Safflower oil is high in fat but has some promising results to help people lose weight. Also, don't be afraid of healthy fats, you need them and they are good for you. You only need a very small amount of oil to mix with lemon or vinegar. I love lemon, oil, and sumac. You can add other spices like parsley or basil. I love putting hummus on a salad too. Consider checking out flavored vinegars too, like raspberry or pear.
  • blnadn
    blnadn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We make our own dressing out of a Smart balance omaga oil (canola/oil/soy), red wine vinegar & spices (we use salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano), shake it up & dizzle on. Yes, the oil is high in fat, but it's the "good" fat & when used in moderation, it's healthy. You do need fat in your diet. I have yo-yo'd with my weight more then once & ended up having my gallbladder removed because of not eating any fat. That being said, if you didn't want to use the oil in dressing, you could just use an acid, the vinegar w/salt & pepper or fresh lemon juice. Oh, & yes, all the pre-made dressing or the "white" ones have horrible stuff in them, that's why I think using the oil/vinegar is super better then any of them, especially the fat-free ones because they are all sugar. Even if you just wanted to buy a vinegrette type dressing already made, that's fine too just make sure to stick to the regular ones so they won't have the added sugar.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Also I don't know if you would be willing because of the fat and calories, but Brianna's poppyseed dressing is amazing, and so good that a single serving size goes a long way. You can also check out dressings you like and see what adjustments you can make to make it homemade.
  • skinny91bum
    Options
    you can get special low fat and calorie balsamic dressing which we love, saying that they also make a lot of other dressing that are low in fat and calories

S x
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Penzey's Spices has a sprinkle called Salad Elegant that I use that gives my salad a different flavor. Another thought suggestion is: Salsa.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil is obviously very high in fat.

I use extra virgin olive oil on all my salads. Although it's 100% fat, it's mainly the 'good' fats that our bodies need to function properly. As long as you account for the calorie intake, a drizzle of olive oil is fine.

My fav topping for salad leaves are a couple of chopped hot sweet piquante peppers, some small slithers of a strong blue cheese (Stilton), and a drizzle of olive oil....yum.
  • chloe65
    chloe65 Posts: 5
    Options
    I use Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Fat Free Balsamic Vinegarette Salad Dressing. It has only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons. And it tastes great!
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use the wishbone ranch sprtizer. I love it!
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love honey vinegrette.
  • micheledarling
    micheledarling Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really love tesco light ceasar dressing. it tastes really good. I know its probably full of additives but at the moment weight loss is more important for my health and if that helps me to stick to my calories then i dont mind. I think tuna and pickled beetroot make a salad tasty or how about those little bags of salad toppers near the nuts n seeds section of the grocery store?
  • nwickart82
    nwickart82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Salsa! I love putting salsa in my salads as a dressing, low in cals and great taste. I usually go with Salsa Verde
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Annie's Goddess dressing. It's a tahini dressing and it is to die for. I would happily eat a sawdust salad with cardboard croutons if it were dressed in this stuff.

INGREDIENTS: EXPELLER PRESSED VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA, SOY, AND/OR SUNFLOWER), WATER, TAHINI, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, SEA SALT, GARLIC, TOASTED SESAME SEEDS, PARSLEY, CHIVES, XANTHAN GUM.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I make a dressing of balsamic vinegar, garlic and coarse mustard. Only need a little bit because it's so flavorful!
  • bxangelgirl
    bxangelgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I normally dont put any dressing on my salad. Sometimes i just do limes or lemons with salt with a little bit of olive oil.
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    salsa or cottage cheese... I also like to put cooked mushrooms, green peppers & eggplant on my salads, I bake them with a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and fresh chopped garlic, so then no dressing is needed.
    Learn to be creative with your salad toppings, try new things out and you will find something you like! :)
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is a steak salad from Chipotle with no dressing, instead I get tomatoes, bell peppers and onion, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Mmmmmmm.