Going to Grad School - Want to be under 300 by September

Options
Hello, I'm going to Grad school in September, and I know that I need to have lots of energy and mobility during my studies or I'm going to burn out. I really need to lose some weight and set myself up for some healthy habits for the duration of my studies.

I'm currently 330 pounds and start school in 6 weeks. I would like to be under 300 by the 8th of September.

Currently I walk to work 5 times a week and go for a short walk on weekends, about 25 minutes each day. I eat fairly badly and have recently been diagnosed with clinical depression and anemia so my energy levels are currently very low. I'm starting to incorporate more iron-rich foods in my diet and am planning on reducing my calorie intake as well...

do you have any tips for foods that will fill me up and give me enery, all the while helping me to stay on track for my fitness and weightloss goals? I want to go to school more healthy, but honestly, I'm not going to have a lot of time to obsess about my weight and my meals, so simple fare and simple exercise would be best.

Replies

• blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    lean proteins - chicken, turkey and shrimp and tons of veggies. All of those can be found frozen, making it easy to keep them stocked. Also, beware the temptation of cooking pasta (I did this in grad school since it was cheap, easy and yummy) since it is full of calories. I always keep a stash of frozen smart ones for those days I can't seem to get the energy to cook something. I also recommend the Hungry Girl cookbooks, super yummy stuff there and most of it is super fast and easy. I've tried to replace dessert with fruits, although Edy's slow churned fat free frozen yogurt is stashed in my freezer for chocolate fixed. Remember portion control!!! Read labels and measure what you eat. Good luck, my goal for this site is to recover from the weight I gained in Grad school, so I am envious that you're going into it with a plan.
  • joj7bat
    joj7bat Posts: 30
    Options
    I've been making egg-salad sandwhiches - they super fill me up and I can add tons of celery or peppers to it for some crunch.
    I use:
    1 whole hard boiled egg
    and 1 whole hard boiled egg white
    I use Gensis 1:29 whole grain and seed bread (80cal/slice)
    and Astro Tzatiziki (20cal/tsp) to mix it up
    I add any extra veg that I like, then I mash it all up and chow!
    It makes me super full for a long time - and I find it really easy (and cheap) to make. It gives me protien and fiber and doesn't make me tired.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'd say get a gym membership. I always tried to lose weight by walking but it never worked for me. I joined the gym June 8th, after I had been walking for a month and kept gaining! Since June 8th I have lost 11 pounds! I got one free personal training visit and she turned me on to this website. I started watching what i was eating ( although i still eat what i want , just less and sometimes i tell myself no) and the weigh has been falling off! I have been using this website since June 12th and lost 8 of those 11lbs here!

Just give yourself little Goals, like I will not eat that candy bar in the fridge today!
    I will not eat that piece of cake!
    I will not have fried chicken today I will have 1/2 a turkey sandwich! and guess what! Im always full! I eat more now than I was when I was gaining all the weight!

Good LUCK!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    As you start eating better, your energy should kick up too. At least that's what happened with me! And walking is ok for now - but you're going to need to step it up a notch after about six weeks, to do more intense cardio and get more in shape that way. And that will also bump up your energy. But it takes time to detox and time for your body to realize it's actually getting the nutrition it needs. Give it six weeks of good, healthy eating, daily exercise, and see how you feel.

I will say the gym contributed greatly to my ability to lose weight, because there was always another notch I could step it up. Started out on treadmill, slow paced, 3x/week for 30 mins. My goal was elliptical. Eventually reached that goal. And now I do step aerobics and can keep up with the skinny people (after only six months). In fact I can outlast some of the skinny people!
  • gwen2009
    gwen2009 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on carbs (except for fruit) and see what happens... has worked for me. I broke down my percentages to a 50% protien, 20% carbs, and 30% fat on my food diary page, and that has worked really well for me. Cutting carbs has helped slim my waist more than anything. Plus I think it gives quicker results that just counting calories. I got my % breakdown by using the Jillian Michaels free diet analysis that is on fitnesspal..
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm going to Grad school in September, and I know that I need to have lots of energy and mobility during my studies or I'm going to burn out. I really need to lose some weight and set myself up for some healthy habits for the duration of my studies.

I'm currently 330 pounds and start school in 6 weeks. I would like to be under 300 by the 8th of September.

Currently I walk to work 5 times a week and go for a short walk on weekends, about 25 minutes each day. I eat fairly badly and have recently been diagnosed with clinical depression and anemia so my energy levels are currently very low. I'm starting to incorporate more iron-rich foods in my diet and am planning on reducing my calorie intake as well...

do you have any tips for foods that will fill me up and give me enery, all the while helping me to stay on track for my fitness and weightloss goals? I want to go to school more healthy, but honestly, I'm not going to have a lot of time to obsess about my weight and my meals, so simple fare and simple exercise would be best.

congrats on your acceptance to grad school! this is my last undergrad year and i have been lookin around at schools and professors to supervise my thesis, i am so excited? what are you going in for if you don't mind me asking?

something, and the only thing that really keeps me on track is to add a lot of variety of healthy foods. i get bored easy, and then it makes it easy to eat unhealthy. pick up a low cal recipe book, come on here for tips, google them. try to eat ALL healthy foods, salads, nuts, leaner cuts of meat, chicken, fish, veggies, fruit, healthier cereal options, and for the 'bad snacks' try to look out lower cal options, i am partial to jello and yogurt!

i also find bananas give me energy. i don't know how your b12 is, but i am deficient and highly reccomend taking supplements, they can perk you up.

and add lots of exercise, it DOES give you energy even if it is hard to fit in or you aren't feeling motivated. try to pick up an exercise dvd, some weights, always walk, do exercises when you watch tv. the more you exercise, the more energy you will have.

i wish you look on your journey!
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    Good luck, my goal for this site is to recover from the weight I gained in Grad school, so I am envious that you're going into it with a plan.

Me Too! I joined a gym, started trying to eat better, & had lost weight. Then I did Grad school :( Between that & working full time, my gym routine & eating habits totally fell to the wayside & got worse than they were before joining the gym :) So 2 & 1/2 years later I have an extra 30 lbs to lose. Just remember that your health is just as important as school & needs to be a priority too :)