NHS Couch to 5K and Running / Jogging Advice

Options
Am thinking about doing this as I'm not good at running but would like to.

I've downloaded the NHS week 1 and haven't yet had the guts to start it.

ATM I walk at about 3.2 to 3.4 miles and in my 40 mins on my treadmill I vary my incline and have introduce running 0.1 of a mile twice during my 40 mins.

I have a problem with my right calf as it tends to tighten up after just one of these 0.1 mile jogs.

Should I persist with my current 40 mins and just keep introducing an extra 0.1 mile a week in my workout or should I try the couch to 5K.

I'd really like to be able to do my whole workout running and was wondering which is the best way?

Replies

• rtaddlowe
    rtaddlowe Posts: 70
    Options
    I think you progress more through intervals like couch to 5 k. You have to push it then recover and it builds you up slowly.
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree - the Couch to 5k program is good for building you up to running longer times because it uses an interval system. Advice for the calf? Try to stretch it out right afterwards, and do small exercises throughout the day to keep it loose. Mine tighten up like that too; it seems to help when i'm consistently stretching it.
  • jhamilton32
    Options
    Try doing wall pushups before and after. I am training for a half marathon and my calfs tighten up too.
    Here is the link to some great stretched to do.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml#wallpush
    Good Luck, and keep it up. Running becomes addictive, I started about a year ago and even when I get injuries I just research them on the internet and follow advice and then keep training.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Friend me! I am on week 4. I think it's great. I did a lot of walking for a few months beforehand but sounds like you could go straight into it if you have been using the treadmill :-) I haven't really exercised for about 8 years and before that I was more into swimming or gym but never running. Now it's the only thing I want to do.
  • rach2705
    rach2705 Posts: 107
    Options
    I've just graduated C25K and I can't extol the virtues of the program enough. 5 weeks ago I couldn't manage the 8 mins and then 5 mins run, now I'm doing the 5k in 34 minutes and determined to get it down to under 30. If I can do it, you can too.
  • SandiD146
    SandiD146 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys rock who are running already!

I joined a local Run/Walk wellness group that I love.....I'm still heavy and my calf tightens up like that too. Stretching after really helps the next time....and KT tape to increase the blood flow has helped too.

I've been walking all the miles but my goal this year is to RUN the 5K using the interval program. I'm just doing 90:90 splits right now....but I FEEL great and I've lost and kept off 9 lbs through two holidays! woot!

:D one foot in front of the other!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 of the c25k, and love it. It gives me something to push myself toward, and I feel better after finishing knowing that I did it. I have never been a runner- unless something is chasing me, or I have to pee lol--but have found it to be really therapeutic. I definitely recommend the c25k program. There is an app for your phone that you can get by zen lab that is free and times the whole thing for you and tells you how much longer you have to go.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think both ways of introducing more running are good! Some people love Couch 2 5K (I'm on week 3, myself!), but really you can do it on your own as well. I would certainly recommend giving C25K a good try, though. It's super effective!
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm on round 2 of week 1 and I love the couch 2 5k program as it's really doable. Make sure you do a nice 5 min warm up and then do intervals of walking and jogging do some good stretching after and make sure you do your cool down. Stay hydrated while you are working out.
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HI Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Think I'm gonna give it a go next week and see what happens. I'll keep you posted!