Sugar Substitutes

Options
I'm having a hard time with these. I've never tried them but my confusion with them is that I don't really know what they are. I remember when they first started running commercials for them and one said, made from real sugar, then later in the commercial said it wasn't sugar, that it was better. :huh: Really? Then what the heck is it?

I just can't see ingesting something that I don't know anything about. Can someone please shed some light on sugar subs? :flowerforyou:

*Just wanted to add, I don't eat a lot of prepackaged foods.
Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid them at all costs. Real sugar is 15 calories per teaspoon. In my mind, if you are consuming so much sugar that you need to find a no calorie alternative, you should probably take a better look at your eating habits as they probably aren't too healthy.
  • gurney85
    gurney85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To me if they aren't natural then they don't belong in my body. I avoid them at all costs. I don't drink anything diet or eat anything that is fat free, sugar free or lite. Moderation is the key.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!! That's what I was thinking too. I'll continue to stay away from them.