Best things to eat from Fast Food restaraunts

Options
Hi All,

I don't often eat fast food (maybe once every 2 months), but my Fiancee and I might do so tonight. My problem is that when I do go to a fast food restaraunt, I often spend 20 minutes hanging around the till umm'ing and ahh'ing about what the best options are. Not-so-fast-food.

Before I go dashing to McDonald's, I thought I would work it out in advance, add it to my diary and share with you all so you can use this as a quick reference too.

I'm just going to look at McDonald's for now, but please share your knowledge for other users who occassionaly fancy a fast food meal.

I only looked at individual items that were less than 500 cals..

:)

Diet Coke 4
Medium french fries 330

Chicken (w/ chips and diet coke)-
Grilled Chicken Wrap 699
Sweet Chilli Chicken Wrap 794
McChicken Sandwhich 719
Mayo Chicken 649
Grilled Chicken Sandwhich 799
Crispy Chicken & Bacon Salad 659
Crispy Chicken Salad no bacon 604
Grilled Chicken Salad & Bacon 499
Grilled Chicken Salad no Bacon 449

Beef w/ chips and diet coke-
Hamburger 584
Cheese Burger 629
Double Cheese Burger 774
Quarter Pounder w/ cheese 824

Fish w/ chips and diet coke-
Fillet o Fish 684
Fish Fingers 529

Veggie w/ chips and diet coke-
Spicy Vegetable Wrap 779

Based on this.. Your best picks are:

Fish Finger Meal- 529
Hamburger Meal- 584
Cheese Burger Meal- 629
Mayo Chicken- 649
Grilled Chicken Wrap- 699
Fillet O Fish- 684

Failing that.. A salad.. and you can be naughty and get chips too :)

Hope this helps for those of you who fancy a treat every now and again

xxx

Replies

• starkitty78
    Options
    I hate to say it, but the best thing you can eat at a fast food place is nothing. Even the salads are evil in my opinion.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you only eat like this occasionally I say have what you want. Enjoy. Move on. You only live once.
    Ate at McDonalds last week had a fish-filet and small fry. DELICIOUS. No regrets.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Always, always go for the grilled chicken sandwich with no sauces. That is one of the safest choices next to grilled chicken salad (no dressings). However the chicken always ends up having too much sodium.
  • della0507
    Options
    Starkitty78- I do agree that fast food isnt the best option but, for those people who like me fancy one every now and again/ in a rush/ any other reason.. I have posted this so that people can make informed decisions, and make best choices easily.

• kathleen2001
    Options
    I have a cheeseburger happy meal every now and again, I never sweat it!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Go for a kids meal. Or pinch a couple of your friend's fries rather than having a whole portion yourslef.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    With my kids busy schedule and baseball starting sometimes we have no choice but to hit the drive-thru! I usually get the kids meal when I eat at a fast food restaurant - saves calories and money!

Here's a tip: Chick-Fil-A now serves grilled chicken nuggets on their kids menu and they are delicous!

As everyone says - in moderation, count it and work out!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it.....
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing anytime I find myself there. I get the grilled chicken chipolttle snack wrap with no cheese and a small fry. It doesn't add up to too many calories.
  • della0507
    Options
    Sounds like the US has much better McDonalds menu than the UK
  • jpmill79
    jpmill79 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    taco bell is awesome! i can eat two grilled steak soft tacos for only 500 calories! or two hard shell tacos for 340!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have started to do. I bought a small notebook that I can easily carry with me or keep in the car. I look up nutritional information online or use my Eat This, Not That books for ideas. I then write down the best options with their calorie counts. That way, I don't have to try and remember off the top of my head what is best. Instead, I have an easy and quick reference that I can pull out.

It is taking a good bit of time to do and organize, but it will be wonderful later on (especially on vacation this June).

I also will be adding sit down restaurants as well.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stick with salads, but check the nutritional information online before you go (that's the biggest helper for me!) Fast food restaurants are known to add extra sugar and salt, especially in the salad dressings.

I'd save desserts for at home, where you can get more bang for your buck.

If you REALLY want something fattening, say a burger and fries, pick one of them and pair it with a healthier option, like a parfait (no toppings) or apple dippers.

Lastly, I think Wendy's has healthier options than McDonald's, but that's just my two cents.

Shannon
  • melissaflaherty
    Options
    Hi All,

I don't often eat fast food (maybe once every 2 months), but my Fiancee and I might do so tonight. My problem is that when I do go to a fast food restaraunt, I often spend 20 minutes hanging around the till umm'ing and ahh'ing about what the best options are. Not-so-fast-food.

Before I go dashing to McDonald's, I thought I would work it out in advance, add it to my diary and share with you all so you can use this as a quick reference too.

I'm just going to look at McDonald's for now, but please share your knowledge for other users who occassionaly fancy a fast food meal.

I only looked at individual items that were less than 500 cals..

Diet Coke 4
    Medium french fries 330

Chicken (w/ chips and diet coke)-
    Grilled Chicken Wrap 699
    Sweet Chilli Chicken Wrap 794
    McChicken Sandwhich 719
    Mayo Chicken 649
    Grilled Chicken Sandwhich 799
    Crispy Chicken & Bacon Salad 659
    Crispy Chicken Salad no bacon 604
    Grilled Chicken Salad & Bacon 499
    Grilled Chicken Salad no Bacon 449

Beef w/ chips and diet coke-
    Hamburger 584
    Cheese Burger 629
    Double Cheese Burger 774
    Quarter Pounder w/ cheese 824

Fish w/ chips and diet coke-
    Fillet o Fish 684
    Fish Fingers 529

Veggie w/ chips and diet coke-
    Spicy Vegetable Wrap 779

Based on this.. Your best picks are:

Fish Finger Meal- 529
    Hamburger Meal- 584
    Cheese Burger Meal- 629
    Mayo Chicken- 649
    Grilled Chicken Wrap- 699
    Fillet O Fish- 684

Failing that.. A salad.. and you can be naughty and get chips too :)

Hope this helps for those of you who fancy a treat every now and again

xxx
  • birdieman75
    birdieman75 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sometimes have them, I don't worry about it as I work 24/7 on healthy foods and exercise and as mentioned life is short and best enjoyed.

ps after reading that list its making me hungry... hmmm Big Mac...
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about it too much. A lot of fast food might seem healthy, but you have no idea what they put in it, what's it made from. It could be packed with sodium, sugars, fat, etc.

If you've worked hard for a while, just pick something you will enjoy without feeling guilty about what you are about to have.

Like today for instance, I had a good breakfast, and it was filling. I went out at like 10:30am and was out till 2pm. I had my haircut, walked for a while and I hadn't had any snacks and I hadn't had any lunch. I was hungry and my Mom and Nan decided to go get a KFC and I was tempted even though I was on the edge of saying no, trying to find ideas for something at home, but to be honest, I've spent the last 2 weeks eating healthy meals and trying to get as much protein into my diet as possible. I lost a few pounds and one KFC meal isn't going to hurt and to be honest it will be a while before I have another KFC. It just made me feel really tired and too full compared to how I normally feel.

If you do regular exercise, then just go for it, you will easily burn it off.
  • della0507
    Options
    Birdieman75- tell me about it! I spent from about 1pm until 6pm just thinking about food after wriing this. I had a grilled chicken wrap, was good!