Could you take a look at my food diary?

Options
I'm just starting out in the scary world of calorie counting and am really unsure what would be a good diary entry. I've just palnned tomorrow's, could anyone let me know if it looks ok?
I'm struggling with the calories. Because I have cut out the junk I would normally snack on it looks like I need to eat some more calories if I'm aiming for the 1lb per week loss that MFP has recommended.
Any suggestions of healthy foods I could add to 'up' the calories (carbs and fats look just under the recommended amounts)? I'm already anxious and this is only day 3 of trying calorie counting! :frown:

If you need any background, I'm 43, 207lbs at 5 foot 7, have a BMI of 32 and want to lose around 3 or 4 stone. I do an hour at the gym, 5 days a week (50% cardio, 50% weight machines) and that leaves me red as a beetroot :laugh: I've been doing this for just over 2 months and so far haven't seen any inch or pound loss, hence starting to look at calories.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, I'm feeling a bit lost!

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're over in protein, but that's good when you're working out. You haven't even reached 1200 calories though, and if this is typical you may need to eat more. I know it seems counterproductive but try adding 200-300 cals more per day. With the activity you're doing, it could help! Also, make sure you get your water in.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I would up your protein by 30 or so grams, fats look ok, try dropping your carbs the 30g you add to protein if you want to keep cals. the same or close to what you have now

here is a link to a macro. calculator

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    You want protein if you are working out but not loads - it looks like you would be body building the amount you are consuming? I would cut out the protein drink as you are already getting lots of protein?

Try adding some nuts - you have the calories (and fat) to spare.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think if anything you could raise the amount of protein that you're taking in, but your calories look fine. My diary is open if you would like to look at it. I'm not a body builder but I certainly don't want to lose any muscle.
  • newlife4cindy
    newlife4cindy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have way too many carbs and not enough protein. i started trying (not very successfully yet) to follow the p90x fat shredder plan. this equates to 50% protein, 30% carb and 20% fats. they say to stay on that plan until you are at or close to your goal. you can adjust your settings on here to have your goals set to those ratios.

one of my friends who is a personal trainer said that diet is 75% of the equation and exercise 25%. her comments to me have been that most of us eat way too many carbs and too little protein. her website is mommysbody com if you want to look at her pics. she knows what she is talking about. 3 kids by c-section and abs like that? unfortunately, she's too expensive for me...lol.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I was following a 40/30/30 for a bit and it has been working. I'm trying to increase my protein intake a bit more and stick to the same amount of carbs as before, but increase my fat intake a bit more.

Once I get my weight set and start lifting I will hopefully see some great results with my protein intake.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    OK...this is what I would do.

First off, you and I are basically the same age. I have had to change what I eat now that I am in my 40s.

So, if you are exercising and burning 500 calories, I would try to put 1530 into my mouth. I try to do 1600-1800...I also burn roughly 400-500 when exercising.

I would increase my protein and decrease my carbs. I like to hit 100-150 grams in protein and carbs. I try to have closer to the 100 range in the carbs and closer to the 150 range in the protein. I do not worry about my fat. I am eating healthy fat and plus, I feel for women, we need to eat fats. i think that it is good for our skin, hair, and nails. I eat a tablespoon of coconut oil and I love almonds. I only eat one serving of almonds, but they are a good fat.

So, this is how I would change your diet:

Change yogurt to cottage cheese. Cottage cheese 100 calories 5carbs 11protein

Change potatoes to green beans. Green beans 20 calories 4carbs 1 protein

Changed Kraft lite Thousand Island dressing to a lower carb dressing. Kraft Free Caesar Italian has 20 calories and 4 carbs. I also eat ranch. It does have 110 calories, but you are only getting 2 carbs and plus you do want to increase your calories some. Also, you did exchange potatoes for green beans! ;) You could also make your own oil and vinegar. Use apple cider vinegar...that way you get the benefits of apple cider vinegar.

I looked at your Monday Diary too. I like your calories, I just would have deleted the potatoes, the rye crispy bread down to 2 slices and no chocolate sponge pudding.

HTH. And Good Luck!!! :tongue:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    a good way to prioritize you macros is protein, fats, and fill in remaining calories with carbs. I will link a very informative post from body building .com I highly suggest you read it there is a ton of valuable information from a very well respected person in the nutrition field. I really hope you and everyone else reads this link.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank you all for your replies. I haven't had a chance to think about them carefully, but I will do.
    Didn't want to come across as unappreciative in the meantime :smile:
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about upping your protein a little more. You should aim for 1g of protein for each lb of your goal weight. I try to shoot for 120-140 gs of protein a day. Also helps to keep you feeling full longer.

I would adjust your diary and stop tracking cholesterol and fibre. Instead, track sodium (keep it around or under 1500mg/day) and sugar (keep around 30 g/day). I have found those two macros to play the biggest role in whether I lose weight or not. Too much sodium will make you retain water, and too much sugar probably means it's being stored as fat around your mid-section.

I also agree with people about trying to cut back on your carbs.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    looks pretty good to me. if you go into goals you can change your macros. e.g. i've changed mine to carbs 40% protein 30% and fat 30%. you're still getting the same calories - you just dont have the red numbers coming up. i think MFP sets the carbs pretty high anyway. :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if you can't stomach the cottage cheese try greek yogurt - the protein content's about the same sometimes more .
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    bump...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I agree with making sure you get lots of protein - but double check the figures in the database. I'd be very surprised at a baked potato with 27g protein in it.

And much of the "minor" nutritional inof like vitamins and cholesterol is missing from the database, so it's probably a waste of time trying to track it.