HCG Plan

Options
Is anyone out there using the HCG Plan to lose weight? I just started less than a week ago and I'm loving it.

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Wow havent seen this topic in awhile....
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Wow havent seen this topic in awhile....

I think they've been shutting them down as it's considered an unsafe weight loss method.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No, I happen to love eating more than 500 calories a day.
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My cousin lost 25 lbs rapidly this past summer using that plan....she gained it back just as rapidly. It is probably better to lose slowly and safely, nourishing your body and you'll have a better chance of keeping the weight off long term.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    No, I happen to love eating more than 500 calories a day.

Word.

I also like having muscle definition and sustainable weight loss. But to each their own!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Nope, I actually did things the healthy way. Ya know, the way that didn't involve starvation
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It's not considered a safe plan by the people that run this site. There are some people on here that have done it and are satisfied with the results, then there are others that had really awful side effects and also gained the weight back. I found that the moderate MFP approach works great and does not have the risk of undesirable side effects.

Best of luck to you.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    untitled.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do some searching around. It's unsafe and a lot of the weight you lose will be muscle which will kill your metabolism and could put extra strain on your internal organs. And considering your brain alone needs 500 calories, that does leave anything else for your body to function. So no thanks.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Unless you were put on this by your doctor please please stop.
    Do a massive amount of research on it and you'll find it's not actually all it's cracked up to be.
  • EmilyMae12
    EmilyMae12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    -.-
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Im using it but i changed it so im eating just under 750 calories a day.
    i really cant tell if its working or not but its just taking drops three times a day so i dont see any harm in it.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My mom had some success on HCG so I tried it out of desperation after being diagnosed with a heart condition. It triggered a relapse of anorexia and bulimia for me and six months later, I have spent a lot of money on therapy, doctors, and dietitians to get me back on track. I am obviously not a fan.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i really cant tell if its working or not but its just taking drops three times a day so i dont see any harm in it.

That isn't much better and considering you only have 20 lbs to lose, you are going to make sustainable weight loss almost impossible. You will lose a lot of muscle mass on the VLCD which kills your metabolism and the only thing that offsets the calories burnt by your metabolism will be a lot of exercise.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

The harm comes from the insanely low calorie intake. 750 is still much too little food to eat each day. 1200 is the limit and even that's too low for some people depending on their heights/starting weight, etc. The key is a balanced diet and nutrition, not depriving your body of things it needs to function properly over long periods of time.

The drops themselves don't really do anything... well, nothing useful anyway.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

For the time being, HCG discussions remain an option for members in private Groups. Please remember that even in Groups, all site wide rules must be correctly moderated, or the Group runs the risk of deletion. Specifically, endorsement of purchasing prescription supplements or medications without a prescription is in violation of the MyFitnessPal posting guidelines, which can be reviewed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.