Losing too fast?

Options
Okay, so i know that im extremely overweight. Im 5'4 and i started at 294. in 10 days i've lost 10 lbs. Is a pound a day too fast? Is it bad for your body? I know eventually my weight loss will slow down significantly the more I lose. Any ideas???

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It does sound like a lot but what it your calorie intake like? If you're eating your calorie goal, the loss could be just water weight.
  • Riceking10
    Options
    Hello,

I am about 6'2", and about a year ago I was close to 300 pounds. I decided to go down to 230, and right at the start, the weight FLEW off... I was losing MORE than a pound a day.

I'm assuming your weight is from eating poorly and not moving much right? At least that was my situation. Weight will come off REALLY fast at the start, then gradually even out. So don't worry too much. Just make sure to not cut your diet from 3000 calories to like 800, that won't give you the results you want, and will be more apt to make you hungry all the time and give up.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Some or most of that would be water weight and you may find it is a lot less next week.

I went down 6 pounds in my first 10 days (373-367).
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When my husband started dieting just cut out fast food and sweets at first and lost 7-10 lbs in a week, now he's lowered his calories and losing 1-2 lbs per week. I've heard this happen to alot of people.
  • theworldis
    Options
    My calorie intake is around 1800 and i eat if im hungry. Some days im a little under, and Ive even had a cheat day where i was significantly over! I eat a lot of small meals, and fruits and veggies. My weight is definitely from not moving much and eating absolute crap!
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing, I think. Are you eating the calories recommended? Are you exercising? Drinking lots of water?

Have you noticed any ill effects from the rapid loss?

As you said, the speed will likely slow down as your weight drops, so for the short term, I wouldn't worry too much. But make sure you stay hydrated and eat enough protein, please.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Happens to everbody - the first 10 lbs are water.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but with that being said, if you just started trying to lose weight it is most likely water weight which does come off a lot quicker. Weight will also come off quicker in the beginning due to being overweight. That means when you move/exercise you have a heavier body weight to move/exercise which helps you burn more calories.

The weight loss will taper off so don't get discouraged when it happens. :wink:
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is around 1800 and i eat if im hungry. Some days im a little under, and Ive even had a cheat day where i was significantly over! I eat a lot of small meals, and fruits and veggies. My weight is definitely from not moving much and eating absolute crap!

This sounds right to me. I would assume that the first few lbs will drop off like crazy, but then they will slow down. if I were you, I would not worry about the fast weight loss now if you are eating 1800 calories because you are not starving yourself!!!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal and supposed to happen.

Think about it this way... its nature's way of giving you awesome motivation!

Much of what you're losing is water weight, your body is being cleansed and kick started. And, the heavier you are, the more calories your body needs to maintain that weight, and because of this, calorie deficits are much larger, and more weight can be lost faster.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Unless you spend hours each day in the gym, you aren't losing 1 pound of fat each each day. 1-2 lbs a week is a reasonable expectation to have.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't eating way under your recommended calories I wouldn't worry about it. It will slow down to a more normal pace eventually.
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As some others have said, a lot of it may be water weight, especially if you're exercising. It will usually slow down after a week or two. Just follow the MFP calories/exercise guidelines and you should be fine.
  • ttulio
    ttulio Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started out about where you are and lost six pounds in my first three days. By the second full week, I had settled in to 2 pounds a week, which has been my goal. Keep in mind that if you were eating a lot before you started, it takes a few days for that to work it's way out. Some of it may be water weight too, but how much depends on what you are eating. If you really want to geek out on the subject, you can read this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC333231/pdf/jcinvest00645-0194.pdf. Just make sure that you drink at least your 8 glasses of water a day. It's highly unlikely that you've had any appreciable fat loss yet.
  • theworldis
    Options
    not feeling any ill effects. i have a ton of energy, actually. im lifting weights every other day and trying to do cardio every day. Just starting with a moderate pace walk. i feel incredible, really.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    At least half of what you lose in your first week is generally going to be water weight. Nothing to worry about.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That is pretty normal. I am 1 day shy of a month of eating better and I was at 261.2. Two weeks I was down to 251.4. Almost 10 pounds. Since then it has only been two weeks and I am currently at 246.4. A 5 pound weight loss is still pretty good but considerably slower. I may have another brief spurt here as I started P90X on Monday but after that I may even lose a pound or two once a week at best. Sometimes you might even put on weight (the P90X model I am doing focuses more on strength training so I am gaining muscle mass). So don't let that frustrate you.

Enjoy the weight melt off easily. Just don't get discouraged if it slows down or even stalls. If you weigh yourself everyday don't let a fluctuation worry you. Analyze every month if you are everything right. Just be a hawk about what you eat every day and be total honest with yourself.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Eh, it's not too bad. When you first start out, and you have a lot to lose, sometimes the weight will come off really fast, very easily. I mean, as long as you're eating within your calorie range and not starving yourself or anything, I'm sure it's fine. I dropped weight very quickly in the beginning, at one point I was dropping almost a pound a day for almost three weeks, and I wasn't doing anything all that excessive. It was just happening. And then it just stopped. So, this may just be a temporary thing for you. Like I said, as long as you're eating well and you're eating a sufficient amount, it's nothing to worry about. Just expect that this probably won't last long, and it will slow down as you lose more weight, don't let that discourage you.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm very jealous as it takes me two months to lose 9lbs!

As long as you are eating your cals, and lot's of healthy foods, getting some exercise it should be fine especially if you have quite a bit you need to lose. I'm guessing the loss will slow down though, if it doesn't it might be worth just getting things checked out with your doctor.
  • llacos54
    llacos54 Posts: 8
    Options
    WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO LOSE THAT FAST.. PASS THE SECRET