Fire Yoga

Options
Does anyone incorporate Fire Yoga in your fitness routine, if so are you able to handle the typical 90 minutes of heat? I am wanting to do a 20 day challenge in my city and want to know the possible good/bad/ugly of this particular workout. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• cacweaver
    cacweaver Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but a friend of mine has. Be very careful about not letting yourself get dehydrated. You might consider taking a sodium supplement to help prevent this. Good luck!
  • Holly_nats
    Options
    The sodium supplement is a great idea to retain hydration. Thanks.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If by "fire yoga" you're talking hot yoga I love it! I go as a nice change to my yoga routine. I don't think a salt pill is completely necessary. I just drink plenty of water throughout the day and after. You do sweat a TON but if you are adequately hydrated it shouldn't be a major issue.

Just be careful and don't push too hard but enjoy it. As my yoga teacher says "Skate your edge, don't go over." If you feel overwhelmed by the heat, lie down. Just try to stay in the room for the entire practice.
  • ksomerfeld
    ksomerfeld Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're referring to hot or Bikram yoga. I love yoga and it is a regular part of my fitness routine. But I HATE hot yoga. I literally felt like I was going to die.

Perhaps it goes without saying, but if you do not enjoy being hot (i.e. do not enjoy saunas, hot tubs, etc.) you will likely hate this. I tried it when I was in excellent yoga shape, and halfway through I had to lay down (where I stayed for the remainder of the class).

Some people love it. If you hate it, consider trying other forms of yoga that do not make you feel like death.
  • Holly_nats
    Options
    I am referring specifically to Bikram yoga and heat doesn't bother me but for 90 minutes . . . not sure.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think you'll surprise yourself.

ksomerfield is right. If you are averse to saunas, doing yoga in a sauna will pretty much blow. But, you won't know personally until you try, right? Again, be careful. The heat will help you move through the poses, but that doesn't mean your muscles are instantly more malleable. You might find you love the heat. I look forward to the intense sweat.