Is a binge SO bad?

Options
All - I'm having some SERIOUS cravings lately.

I have been doing very well for almost a year - making good food choices, staying at/under/around my calorie goal, working out regularly. I've lost more than 60% of the total amount I want to lose... it's going great (with some minor plateau irritations thrown in now and then).

But suddenly, I'm really wanting some bad food. I'm craving things I've NEVER liked, like chili cheese fries. I really want to splurge on a deep dish Chicago style pizza or maybe a bean burrito covered in salsa.

My favorite food in the world is pizza - specifically that Chicago-style deep dish I mentioned. I don't want to "treat" myself to food, because rewarding weight loss and fitness with food just seems counter-productive to me. But, honestly, would it be SO bad to go get myself a pizza this weekend? I haven't had a slice in 6 months... I can do a double workout to make up for the extra calories.

No biggie, right? Or is it? Could it be a slippery slope?

Replies

• Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    Binge - bad.
    Slice of pizza - no big deal.

Just work the pizza into your calories and go for it. Or have a cheat day, some people have them every week, you can have one after 6 months :).
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. It's what you do most of the time that counts, not what you do once in a blue moon, so I doubt it will do you any harm. As long as you get back to normal tomorrow, it's all good.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    EAT IT!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Up to you. You know yourself better than any of us do.

Y'know, I quit smoking almost 5 years ago. Now a couple times, when drinking, I've been tempted to bum a smoke. Have one "For old time's sake". Never done it, never will, terrified of it. I'm pretty sure that if I have one cigarette I'll be destroyed by cravings and smoking a pack a day again in no time.

So are you that way with pizza? Could you keep it as a very occasional treat, worked off on the bicycle of elliptical or whatever? If you can control yourself and not make a habit of it then you probably can treat yourself.

Great job on your weight loss BTW.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you have to answer that question for yourself. I find that I can only manage my cravings by allowing myself some of the food I am craving, but for others, it can be a slippery slope. I can tell you that one pizza is not going to completely ruin you. Nor will your friends be angry, ashamed, or embarassed if you do. If you try it and fail, then you just dust yourself off and get right back in the game. You will know yourself better for the future.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Binge - bad.

Just work the pizza into your calories and go for it. Or have a cheat day, some people have them every week, you can have one after 6 months :).

I agree. Work it into your calories for the day or have a nice cheat meal. After 6 months you definitely deserve it!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. It's what you do most of the time that counts, not what you do once in a blue moon, so I doubt it will do you any harm. As long as you get back to normal tomorrow, it's all good.

Good point - thanks!
  • adamb83
    Options
    Binge - bad.

I agree. Work it into your calories for the day or have a nice cheat meal. After 6 months you definitely deserve it!

I feel like I deserve it too - but then I trip up on that "deserve" word. I don't want to deserve bad food... makes me feel funny! I get what you're saying and I get what I'm thinking (rationally) but it's the emotional side of it, I guess. Worry, worry, worry.
  • HittingHerStride
    Options
    I agree with someone above, a serving not so bad, a binge yes bad. It's probably better to have a little of something to get over the feeling of I just have to have it. or it can get ugly and turn into a binge.
  • adamb83
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts.... I do think it would be okay, but I feel guilty about wiping out a few days' worth of workouts for one good fat meal (even if I do love it!). I think I need to shove that guilt feeling out of the food relationship altogether, though.
  • HittingHerStride
    Options
    I would suggest removing the word bad food altogether. Unhealthy is better.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Splurging on something like that is fine, but personally I eat that kind of thing pretty frequently. If it doesn't fit my calories for the day, I can make it fit for the week. I don't believe in depriving myself of stuff I love.
  • adamb83
    Options
    I agree with someone above, a serving not so bad, a binge yes bad. It's probably better to have a little of something to get over the feeling of I just have to have it. or it can get ugly and turn into a binge.

True - have a slice or two for dinner when I'm really craving it, or lose my mind a month from now, buy an entire pizza and eat the whole thing throughout the day? Lol
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that used to say "One cookie won't make you fat. A package of cookies everyday will." I think about that when I want something that is usually considered 'unhealthy'.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    You had me at chili cheese fries!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Binge - bad.

This. A binge is part of a disordered eating cycle, when I would binge it would be thousands of calories and I'd do nothing but sit and eat for hours, sometimes purging in the middle. Satisfying a craving/having a cheat day is not a binge
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Do it!!! nothing Crazy! But get a small pizza and share it. :)
    I have a "cheat" day once a week and I lose every week still. I think If you deprive yourself of cravings you get obsessed. I know I do. Thats when something bad might happen. Like Eating till you die. lol But seriously maybe all you need is a Cheat day once a month!
    Good luck and enjoy that Pizza!
  • StephanieJ82
    Options

bahahaha!!! Me too!
  • adamb83
    Options

bahahaha!!! Me too!

Lol. And I have NEVER liked 'em - but for the past week or so, I just keep thinking "Wow that would be gooood right now." Haha
  • adamb83
    Options
    Do it!!! nothing Crazy! But get a small pizza and share it. :)
    I have a "cheat" day once a week and I lose every week still. I think If you deprive yourself of cravings you get obsessed. I know I do. Thats when something bad might happen. Like Eating till you die. lol But seriously maybe all you need is a Cheat day once a month!
    Good luck and enjoy that Pizza!

Eating 'til I die is definitely not the way I want to go! (Now I've got that Bette Midler line from Hocus Pocus in my head:"Dance, Dance, Dance Until You Die!" <-- But at least that would be healthy, sorta).