Bored during Cardio?

Options

Replies

• wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had to switch to workout dvd's. All I could do on the treadmill or bike was watch the clock. If I am running outside I bring a friend and we chat.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    HIIT training... Bike for a few minutes at a regular pace then up the intensity for about 30-60 seconds and then go back to regular pace again. I USED TO do the same ole biking for a hour routine and it got so boring. Then once I started doing HIIT training keeping track of the time, my heart rate, my intensity and counting out loud to myself made the time pass much quickly PLUS you burn more calories that way!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I watch TV/Movies on my iPod.
  • bmarie82
    bmarie82 Posts: 3
    Options
    I mix it up, I do 10-12 minute sessions of cardio then to some weights or whatever as a set, for example I'd do 10 minutes of running stairs, then 50 reps of dumbells, 50 lunges, then do it over again
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I watch Supernatural in the morning:). Can't really get bored while watching Sam and Dean.

I totally agree 100%
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Get off the machine and do something else. Run or bike outside. Join an aerobics class. Buy a fun DVD.
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    I always take a book with me when I go on the bike. :) I do 70 minutes on the elliptical, and BY GOD, is it hard to stay focused after even 20 minutes! And it's even worse if the TV isn't on...
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Music helps, but the way I see it, if my brain has time to get bored, my body isn't working hard enough! I listen to music while I work out. That is plenty when I am running / cycling. If I am on the stair-mill, I will also be "reading" a book. A put reading in quotes because honestly I don't get much reading actually done. It is nice to have something to read during my recovery intervals which can be a bit boring. But, when the intensity increases, my reading comprehension pretty much goes out the window (as it should!)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    watching cooking shows help me...really. I don't eat most of the types of food they make so it's nice just watching people who know how to cook.

Nice idea. Think I might try that next time I am on the elliptical.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can take your cardio outside. The change of scenery will more then stop you from getting bored PLUS there's no quitting early because once you're away from the house you have to somehow get back. ;)
  • SlvrLyssa
    SlvrLyssa Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I walk outside, but I'm going to look into the HIIT thing too.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Oh! And a book on tape might help!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I cover-up the timer on the stairmaster. I also do some conditioning that is more physical to help mix things up.
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    it's not ADD, I used to be the same way! I went to the gym for years doing the same old thing... doing cardio on the bike, treadmill, elliptical, or stepper... and even downloading all the new music I could, I was still bored and just counting down the seconds to get through it.

At the beginning of the year, my new year's resolution was to start going to classes that are provided for free at my gym, and they have completely changed my way of thinking about cardio! 40 mins of cardio absolutely flies by!! Since starting the classes about 3 months ago, I have also done wonders for my legs/arms in toning them. I haven't seen this kind of definition ftom doing years of the elliptical.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I go hard enough that it takes all of my concentration!
  • Wellnessbabe
    Wellnessbabe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was having similar problems, what has been working for me is i do work out videos on my computer while i'm watching Jerry Springer, Mauray or the Wendy Williams show.... Thrust me if you find something you like to watch on TV it's a great distraction. For me it's drama day time Tv :happy:
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I avoid the treadmill because it IS boring. But days when I can't run outside, I try to focus on speed intervals....switching it up every couple of minutes makes it seem to go by faster...I still am lucky to eek out 30 min on the TM though. Ugh, just hate it.
    Also, try other types of cardio! Take a class or do a DVD at home!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym and signed up for hip-hop dance and started rock climbing. Now I can do 3 hours of cardio and not be bored for a second.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I watch Cartoons while I work out while reading Cooking books seeing if there is anything I want to bake. And if one of my friends is available, I Talk to her on the Phone while doing all of those.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Audible.com on my Ipod. I'm working my way through "The Help" on the eliptical. Makes me not want to stop because I don't want to stop the story.