Water Question

Options
Joannie30
Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
I've read today that drinking more water helps as it reduces water retention? Is this true? Could the fact that i barely drink ANYTHING all day except coffee be hindering my weight loss efforts?

Also, does it have to be water or will any low sugar etc fluids do?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water will help wtih water retention because your body recognizes there is enough and doesn't have to hold onto extra in case it doesn't get anymore. The debate about whether it needs ot be pure water is controversial... but mostly beverages that don't have caffeine count towards your water.
  • Joannie30
    Options
    Drinking more water will help wtih water retention because your body recognizes there is enough and doesn't have to hold onto extra in case it doesn't get anymore. The debate about whether it needs ot be pure water is controversial... but mostly beverages that don't have caffeine count towards your water.

Thank goodness for that because i REALLY dislike water! I've been drinking loads today just water with a tiny splash of no added sugar cordial to give it a bit of taste. I've had 4 pints. Is that enough or should i be having more?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Personal opinon here - you should drink 6-9 8 ounce glasses of water a day depending on your exercise levels - i.e. the days you exercise you drink more...

Some people will say coffee and tea counts - I personally don't - I add my coffee and tea I drink as extra beverages...

water is important for your whole system - from helping your kidneys flush out toxins, to keeping your muscles healthy to keeping your skin, hair and nails nice.

I am a purest when it comes to water - ok to add things like fresh lemon, lime, mint, cucumber...

However if you are having issues with getting water in then go for something like crystal light or Mio to give it a touch of flavor...
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Interesting take on water consumption:

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/eat-your-water
  • Joannie30
    Options
    Personal opinon here - you should drink 6-9 8 ounce glasses of water a day depending on your exercise levels - i.e. the days you exercise you drink more...

Some people will say coffee and tea counts - I personally don't - I add my coffee and tea I drink as extra beverages...

water is important for your whole system - from helping your kidneys flush out toxins, to keeping your muscles healthy to keeping your skin, hair and nails nice.

I am a purest when it comes to water - ok to add things like fresh lemon, lime, mint, cucumber...

However if you are having issues with getting water in then go for something like crystal light or Mio to give it a touch of flavor...

So my lack of fluids may explain the fact that my nails are literally falling off from their roots, my hair has COMPLETELY stopped growing, my skin is always dry and horrid, i get headaches and tiredness etc.... Maybe getting some fluids will help... I hope!
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

So my lack of fluids may explain the fact that my nails are literally falling off from their roots, my hair has COMPLETELY stopped growing, my skin is always dry and horrid, i get headaches and tiredness etc.... Maybe getting some fluids will help... I hope!

Since I started my weight loss journey I have been committed to getting a minimum of 8 glass sometimes 8-11 glasses a day - I suffered from migraines and high BP before and now I have had no major headaches and BP has dropped. I truly contribute this to drinking water because the condition of you kidneys has alot to do with your BP and I think I was partially dehydrated and that was adding to my migraines - I have only had 2 mild headaches in 10 weeks.... crazy stuff !! I don't care for water either but I just force it. pure clean spring water no flavor ....
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One sign of dehydration is headaches. Sometimes when my head starts to hurt I down a glass of water and can make it the pain go away.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Are you taking a daily vitamin? That might help too with the hair and nails, but the water is really key. I don't really like drinking water either, but I make myself chug it just to get through it. I do find that the more I drink, the more I want. I am in the process of cutting out caffeine, so I am hoping that water will be its steady replacement.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Remember that sodium causes water retention. A lot of diet drinks (even caffeine free and crystal light) have sodium in them and that can be counterproductive when trying to flush out your system.

However, crystal light seems to be better than caffeine free diet sodas anyway . . . or so my body tells me. I have quit drinking anything with aspartame for various reasons. So that limits my water flavoring options. :ohwell:

I recommend starting however you can though. It's got to be sustainable.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Remember that sodium causes water retention. A lot of diet drinks (even caffeine free and crystal light) have sodium in them and that can be counterproductive when trying to flush out your system.

However, crystal light seems to be better than caffeine free diet sodas anyway . . . or so my body tells me. I have quit drinking anything with aspartame for various reasons. So that limits my water flavoring options. :ohwell:

One can of diet pepsi contains 25 mg of sodium ( 1% of RDA). I often see people stating diet pop has lots of sodium, not sure why or where this myth got started. It right on the label about content.
  • Joannie30
    Options

Are you taking a daily vitamin? That might help too with the hair and nails, but the water is really key. I don't really like drinking water either, but I make myself chug it just to get through it. I do find that the more I drink, the more I want. I am in the process of cutting out caffeine, so I am hoping that water will be its steady replacement.

I've started taking a multi-vitamin and also a b vitamin complex as well. Only started this a week or so ago...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Um how about a doctor?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just checked out your diary... you are eating at the level of someone with an eating disorder. With the physical symptoms you are having you SERIOUSLY need to get some help. You are doing very real damage to your body.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can dehydrate you. There are TONS of people walking around daily dehydrated & don't even know it.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

^Is this for real? :huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've read today that drinking more water helps as it reduces water retention? Is this true? Could the fact that i barely drink ANYTHING all day except coffee be hindering my weight loss efforts?

Also, does it have to be water or will any low sugar etc fluids do?

Any fluids will do. Coffee is actually very good because not only do get the water but the caffeine will briefly raise your metabolism a bit. As long as you are drinking enough coffee or other fluids, you are fine.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can dehydrate you. There are TONS of people walking around daily dehydrated & don't even know it.
    So how do you know that they are dehyrdated?
  • Lauraleeann
    Lauraleeann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Um how about a doctor?

Elizabethroads. This totally off subject but, I have to know what bldg. or hotel is that in your profile pic "Groovy" on the front. That is so cool!!!

As for the subject at hand. I've had some Sports Med training & soon I will start training to be an EMT/Firefighter. I also grew up with kidney issues. I too HATED water as a kid & it is still not my favorite. Tap water irritates the back of my throat. Also I have had High Blood Pressure since I was about 27 years old, partly due to one kidney is way smaller & thinner than is should be. So I may always have to take something for BP. With all that being said, Joannie30 honey, you have to get tough with yourself & be determined that you are going to drink 8 or more 8oz glasses of water a day. You have to decide to I want to be a healthy, active & sexy 60-80 year old or maybe still live to be 80 & have all kinds of problems. I had to get tough with myself & I HATE WATER. Now different water taste different. I don't know where you are from but Ice Mountain Spring Water & Meijer Spring Water .87 cents a gallon :drinker: taste the best, even better cold. It doesn't bother the back of my throat. I hope this is an encouragement to you. You just have to have a heart to heart talk with yourself (I do it all the time :D) & say No matter what, I am gonna fight my way through it. As each week/month passes you won't want to go back! Take care & good luck!
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

One can of diet pepsi contains 25 mg of sodium ( 1% of RDA). I often see people stating diet pop has lots of sodium, not sure why or where this myth got started. It right on the label about content.

I think my can of Diet Cream Soda the other day had 100 mg of sodium, so it can vary and it adds up if you drink a lot of it, thinking it is a "freebie."
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Luckily we dont ever consume pure caffeine. Ours has lots of water with it, far outweighing the mild diuretic effect. Third time today ive posted this!

You need the equivalent of 8 cups of water a day on average, from any source. These sources can be pure water/tea/coffee/juice/soda/milk/fruit/veg etc. It does NOT have to be pure neat water!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/07/wellness-water-8x8-myth.html

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

As for tea/coffee being a diuretic, so many people just spout that word as a reason, without actually understanding what "diuretic" means.

di·u·ret·ic (d-rtk)
    adj.
    Tending to increase the discharge of urine.
    n.
    A substance or drug that tends to increase the discharge of urine.

Neat water is also a diuretic. The diuretic effect of caffeine is far, far outweighed by the actual water in the tea/coffee. Also, regular consumers of caffeinated beverages will build up a tolerance to said effect, eventually reaching the point where caffeinated drinks provide practically the same amount of hydration as a cup of neat water will.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/06/14/caffeine-does-not-dehydrate/

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/020722/02072207.htm

http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2011/04/surprise-caffeinated-tea-does-not-dehydrate-you/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html

http://www.sharecare.com/question/does-caffeine-dehydrate-not

http://www.artofdrink.com/2009/12/caffeine-in-coffee-does-not-increase-dehydration-during-hangovers.php

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5552790&page=1#.TrQWc0O5_oo