Bored during Cardio?

Options

Replies

• emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like to pretend i'm on the dancefloor and always have to do it to music!!! Sometimes, when i watch the music videos while i'm on the cross trainer, I see the really toned women dancing in the video and it really gives me more motivation to push through the boredom and the tiredness!!!!
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Similar issue on cardio machines, I'm now doing intervals.

1 min going nuts, 30 secs off, or 1 min go nuts, 1 min go normal. It helps me focus and challenge myself to beat what I did the last time.

I don't get bored, but I do like to play mind games with myself and the machine. I too do intervals, elliptical, bike and treadmill. I also set mini goals for myself while working out. I try to make the next lap faster, or I change my position, either squatting on the elliptical or standing on the bike to focus on quads. Mostly I do the treadmill, the one at the gym I use has a little 1/4 mile track display that lights up . Fun to make the next lap faster, or greater incline, make my heart go faster.... The combinations of mini challenges to set up are endless.

And I listen to either music or CBCRadio. Rarely I'll watch one of the 10 or so tv's set up - now that would be boring!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm working so hard that I don't get bored. Up the intensity and I doubt you'll be bored.

How can some of you read while working out?! That is the last thing on my mind.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I do have ADD and it's a pain in the butt. I always do interval training but even that's not enough. I will usually make it 30 minutes on the elliptical, then I go get on the treadmill for awhile (alternating between walking/running) , then back to the elliptical or bike.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I watch Supernatural in the morning:). Can't really get bored while watching Sam and Dean.

I totally agree 100%

Ditto, I am old enough to be their mother, but i do enjoy looking at them.

I get easily bored, I cannot watch the tv because it aggravates my vertigo problem. So i do a lot of intervals, or split the cardio between elliptical, treadmill, bike, stairmaster, and lately the rowing machine. I like to get an entire workout at once and take a full day off from the gym. So lately I break up my cardio into 3 sessions. and lift weighs in between.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    My treadmill is in the playroom, downstairs, facing a totally blank, white wall. I listen to music and just totally veg out! I warn the kids that if they are playing in the play room while I run they are not allowed to bother me. It is my quiet time just for me! I actually look forward to it. I don't have to think about anything but making my legs move...and after a little while that just seems to happen on its own.
    I also do all kinds of crazy stuff to shake it up. Inclines, speed increses, etc.....I just do what feel right for that particular day while I listen to my favorite music.
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    This is why I do classes, Zumba, Spinning, Dancercise etc, get my cardio in that way.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I watch Supernatural in the morning:). Can't really get bored while watching Sam and Dean.

I totally agree 100%

Ditto, I am old enough to be their mother, but i do enjoy looking at them.

I get easily bored, I cannot watch the tv because it aggravates my vertigo problem. So i do a lot of intervals, or split the cardio between elliptical, treadmill, bike, stairmaster, and lately the rowing machine. I like to get an entire workout at once and take a full day off from the gym. So lately I break up my cardio into 3 sessions. and lift weighs in between.

Best show everrrrrrr
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    gotta find a different cardio exercise that doesn't bore you. Martial arts, pole dancing, boxing.....
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm working so hard that I don't get bored. Up the intensity and I doubt you'll be bored.

haha I agree, if I'm running and actually working I cannot look at a TV or follow a plot let alone read.
  • sophiakou
    Options
    I started focusing on creating awesome iTunes playlists for my workouts. I run a lot harder too! Excellent way to get away from being bored. I gave up on my cardio because I was just soo bored. Not anymore!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    How does everyone stay focused while doing cardio? On the bike..treadmill....whatever..I get so bored. It's like I have A.D.D. or something I really don't know how to stay there for more than 10 minutes. I listen to music...but....that's not enough. Suggestions? LOL I like to do about 30 minutes of cardio and even that is hard!!

I do a different workout almost every day - that helps. But, for monotonous things like the treadmill/elliptical machines - I just let myself zone out. I know they say to "focus" because that actually helps you burn at a higher rate, but you're right - it's a yawn. I turn on some tunes or the Jillian Michaels podcast and just use it as "me" time - thinking about things, making plans, setting goals, etc.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I also have a serious case of Workout ADD. I will get on 1 machine for 20 mins, lift for 20 mins, get on something different for another 20... and I have to listen to music, watch TV, and read a magazine at the same time*.

The gym I go to now has individual TVs on all the machines, so I can sometimes get away with just TV because I can plug my headphones in and hear it, too. But only a few shows hold my attention long enough!

*magazines are ideal because there is a lot of looking and less reading involved. Other posters are right-- I can't read a book while jogging!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I make up music videos for what I'm listening to in my head. It distracts me from what I'm actually doing and helps when my heart rate goes a bit higher than I'm comfortable with because if I zone out long enough I basically calm my body down. Though if not that, a few of the machines at my gym have TVs on the equipment (mainly the elliptical machines and some of the biking ones) you can put on whatever channel and plug your headphones in to listen. This morning a girl had the discovery channel on hers and I was on another machine two feet away and we both watched it even though I couldn't hear anything. Fun stuff.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    How does everyone stay focused while doing cardio? On the bike..treadmill....whatever..I get so bored. It's like I have A.D.D. or something I really don't know how to stay there for more than 10 minutes. I listen to music...but....that's not enough. Suggestions? LOL I like to do about 30 minutes of cardio and even that is hard!!
    CLASSES. CLASSES. CLASSES! I'm not saying that because I'm a group ex instructor..I'm saying that because I became one. After being a member of many gyms and quitting because I was bored, I tried spinning, and other cardio classes. I was self conscience and overweight at first, but the time went really fast and it kept things interesting. I loved it so much I lost 40 pounds and I now teach 9+ classes a week. Spinning is easy in that you don't have to be coordinated, and the room is usually dark. Give it a shot! :-)
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    If I'm on a machine I'm starting to do one of the "programs" for it (like the preprogrammed "cardio" level) - it makes me focus on my HR instead of the time passed. I'll have my iPod on and potentially be watching something on the tv in front of me if I'm on a treadmill... last time it was Fresh Prince of Bel Air, just captions, and I was cracking up while making sure I was staying around my target HR. Meh, it works.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I like doing HIIT type elliptical workouts if I have to go on the elliptical.... counting down the 2-5 minutes until you have to change the settings again helps pass the time.

But! my real recommendation is to try a different kind of cardio - like TURBO FIRE!! :D
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I take a spin class so I cant get bored or I watch TV on my Kindle Fire while on the treadmill.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Haha. I read ALL the time - it's basically what I do for a living (not really, but it would be if I could manage to land a job that would allow/encourage it - like in publishing! Ooh!) But anyway, where was I? Oh, right - I read all the time - I'll probably get through about 60 books per year..... and yet, I CANNOT read while exercising. Even on the machines where they put that nice little bar to hold your book/magazine in place. Can't do it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

wondering this as well. especially when the sweat starts dripping on your book or magazine and you lose your place :laugh: