WORKOUT ROOM FLOORING HELP!!!

Options
Ok, so I am moving into a new town house that has space for a workout "room" down in the basement.

There is NO carpeting in the area I'm going to be using, just concrete floor. I have left over carpet I can put down OR I can invest in the interlocking Anti-Fatigue EVA Foam Floor Mats which can get a bit pricey...however I'll be doing workouts like Insanity, Jillian Michaels, etc High Impact

Opinions??

Replies

• BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    try checking out the automotive section in walmart...or wherever. they have similar type mats--same size but made of something a little different. and not as expensive.

i originally bought them to go under my tent (for camping) but they work great on the concrete floor. only problem is they slide around a bit. i only use them for ab work and pushups (cushions my wrists a bit more). i need to get a decent anti slip yoga mat.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am moving into a new town house that has space for a workout "room" down in the basement.

There is NO carpeting in the area I'm going to be using, just concrete floor. I have left over carpet I can put down OR I can invest in the interlocking Anti-Fatigue EVA Foam Floor Mats which can get a bit pricey...however I'll be doing workouts like Insanity, Jillian Michaels, etc High Impact

Opinions??

IMHO, Forget the carpet. Lint, static, retains sweat, smells and is much more difficult to clean. My folks purchased some of the interlocking mats for my daughter at a toy store. They appear to be the same thing as the gym stuff, but cheaper. I believe 1 pack had 6 of the 2X2 squares. Half of the prices we pay are simply due to where we purchased it.
  • recriger
    Options
    try checking out the automotive section in walmart...or wherever. they have similar type mats--same size but made of something a little different. and not as expensive.

i originally bought them to go under my tent (for camping) but they work great on the concrete floor. only problem is they slide around a bit. i only use them for ab work and pushups (cushions my wrists a bit more). i need to get a decent anti slip yoga mat.

You can get some of the under carpet no-skid stuff, it helps the camping pad to not slide. The only problem I had with them was that pads cheap enough for me at the time never stayed flat. they always curled up on me and tripped me. they work great in a tool box though.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd leave it concrete. But like a single mat if you're wanting to do floor work.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Just by checking online, looking in the kids section was cheaper for the same thing...good call.

Gonna see what they have at the stores before I order anything and maybe see how I like the carpet first
  • recriger
    Options
    Just by checking online, looking in the kids section was cheaper for the same thing...good call.

Gonna see what they have at the stores before I order anything and maybe see how I like the carpet first

Any "Once upon a child" type used kid stuff stores around you? Think I've seen them at those stores.

I live but to serve

--attempts graceful bow...trips--
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options
    hahaha actually there are a couple right near me...I really don't care if they're rainbow colors
  • ThePinkPachyderm
    Options
    Interlocking mats actually SUCK for Insanity. When you are jumping around on them like a crazy person the pieces will separate. Even just doing things like pushups cause them to separate. If you can find one piece foam mats you will be MUCH happier.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options
    Interlocking mats actually SUCK for Insanity. When you are jumping around on them like a crazy person the pieces will separate. Even just doing things like pushups cause them to separate. If you can find one piece foam mats you will be MUCH happier.

I didn't even think about that! Thanks!
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options

yup. he's 100% correct. i can't do any yoga on them either. i go from crescent pose to the splits...it's a pain in the *kitten*...or groin.