Exercise to lose weight MYTH? (or way overstated)

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

Finally, an article and scientific study of something I have started to suspect, after 10 years of sometimes near crazy gym-rat behavior (ex: 1 hour bike to work in the morning, kickboxing class at noon, weightlifting for 45 min after kickboxing, 1 hour bike home after work, coaching youth soccer for 2 hours in the evening). As a weight loss/control tool exercise is almost irrelevant, its all about managing food intake.

Edit:
    I forgot to add, despite all that working out (and eating healthy foods, just not worrying about quantity much), still OBESE on the BMI rating at 249lb start weight (232 this morning). Sure I was fit, but also fat.

How much time/effort does it take you to burn 2000 calories?

How much time/effort does it take you to consume 2000 calories?

There are very few people (as in, I have yet to meet one but I acknowledge that they, like the tooth fairy, might exist) who cannot out-eat any workout program they may do.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The article states that the *reason* exercise doesn't work is because people eat back all of the calories or more. That doesn't mean that for people who do *not* eat back all of the calories, it doesn't help. Upping my exercise (though not changing my eating, which was already reduced) helped break a plateau I was on for quite a while.

The article also states that exercise makes people hungrier. For me, I find that to be the opposite. I eat less and snack much less when I work out. On 'rest' days, I'm much more likely to give in to temptation or mindlessly snack if I'm not super vigilant.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Re: BMI ..... don't take too much stock in this number. This is just ONE number, like the one on the scale. BMI does not really reflect your overall health. People can be very lean & muscular & have a high BMI

I look at exercise this way. The only way (for me) to maintain weight loss is to "diet" for the rest of my life OR add regular exercise which gives me some breathing room.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    This has got to be the most important article I read in the last 10 years...
    Really? I thought this was pretty basic.

Judging by the responses, not so much. What I found extraordinary is that the findings of the article (well researched and supported with studies cited) runs contrary to popular belief for the last quarter century, and that it absolutely fits my personal experiences over a long term period. 10 years, countless of hours of working out, sore body existence (I rotated my weights perfectly, there was always a muscle group ready to go, and a couple in various stages of recovery). Heck I even ate healthy QUALITY foods (in what I now know were in UNHEALTHY quantities).

All that got me is an OBESE marking on BMI (side note, I mock BMI because it is supposed to be only for demographics, and when I was a lean mean fighting machine in the army it considered me overweight at around 200 lb of mostly muscle packed in my 5' 9.5" height), and two torn tendons: bicep distal playing hockey, and achilles playing basketball.
  • 1sweetpea70
    1sweetpea70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I workout and watch my caloric intake and have always. Exercising, for ME, is a means to maybe have a little treat, or one cheat meal a week. Like 3 pieces of pizza and some fries, or, like today, some of my sweetie's bday cake. I've lost inches doing the workout i do, including 30 Day Shred, an hour on the treadmill, or pilates. Soon, i'll incorporate the Brazil Butt Lift into my routine. I could never see myself where i am today, if not for eating right AND working out. Im almost 15 lbs down from where i was in mid January.,
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Restricting calories will make you lose weight. Cardio exercise will make you more fit. Strength training will increase your muscle mass so you burn more calories at rest.

Cardio exercise will also make you burn more at rest. A virgorous 45 min cardio workout can increase your metabolism for more than 1/2 a day after you stop.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hey if you're okay looking mushy and flabby as a skinny person then by all means, do you.
    i personally want to look good naked as well as clothed.

i agree with those who say that for weight loss it's about calorie deficiency. eat a little less, move a little more. i personally love working out and that will always be a part of my life, but i didnt start losing weight until i decreased my calories.

the main difference i see between me who works out and a friend of mine who just cut her calories is
    1)she's had to cut way more calories than i have in order to get the same 2 lbs a week loss (we're similar height,weight and age) 2)we've lost about the same amount of scale weight, but people are asking me if i've lost twice as much because i'm primarily losing fat.
    3)i'm more than likely not going to have to decrease my calories further as i lose weight because i'm adding muscle whereas she will need to decrease her calories the more she loses
    4) the entire weight loss process is much less stressful for me, so i dont have to freak out if i have a spike day. when she has a spike day it definitely affects her weigh in. when i have one, it has no affect.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought it was basic information for people using this site, which is based on the same principal: that you have to control your food intake relative to your exercise. Guess I was wrong.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

Finally, an article and scientific study of something I have started to suspect, after 10 years of sometimes near crazy gym-rat behavior (ex: 1 hour bike to work in the morning, kickboxing class at noon, weightlifting for 45 min after kickboxing, 1 hour bike home after work, coaching youth soccer for 2 hours in the evening). As a weight loss/control tool exercise is almost irrelevant, its all about managing food intake.

Edit:
    I forgot to add, despite all that working out (and eating healthy foods, just not worrying about quantity much), still OBESE on the BMI rating at 249lb start weight (232 this morning). Sure I was fit, but also fat.

This isn't exactly a new discovery. If you eat fewer calories than you expend, you will lose weight.

AND, your edit hits the nail on the head "just not worrying about quantity so much" <<<- HERE'S YOUR SIGN.
  • SirZee
    Options
    Incidentally, I wanted to add that MFP has been a godsend. The first few days was a shock in how little amount of food did it take to hit my daily goal, and I though oh boy, this is going to be a horrible multi-month battle against hunger.

Surprisingly, hunger has not been an issue. Love the site/app and love the good threads on here :) Its why I thought this article would be an interesting topic.

I still exercise of course, kickbox an hour 3 times a week, endurance caliber (10-15 reps, 2 or 3 sets) weights 4 days a week (30-45 min, rotating muscle groups), and am doing the C25K program in a modified/accelerated form: I do whatever pattern is required for the full 3.1 miles, except cut the long walks, for example today was 8min run, 5 min walk, 8 min run, well I did 8min run 2 min walk 8 min run, 2min walk, 8min run, and then walked until I hit 3.1 miles (was just about 2 more minutes). So no, I am not advocating giving up exercise, just proposing that its better to base your weight loss plans on food control, as opposed to exercise.
  • SirZee
    Options

This isn't exactly a new discovery. If you eat fewer calories than you expend, you will lose weight.

AND, your edit hits the nail on the head "just not worrying about quantity so much" <<<- HERE'S YOUR SIGN.

I know right!. Sad that it took 10 years of following the conventional advice "Exercise more to lose weight" 'till I saw the sign.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. My friend lost 50 pounds and didn't change her diet at all. She just runs outside now for about an hour every morning. I've watched the just weight melt right off her over the past few months, while she eats great big Chipotle burritos for lunch.

I don't know if that would work for me though. Of course an hour running outside in the winter burns a ton of calories!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. My friend lost 50 pounds and didn't change her diet at all. She just runs outside now for about an hour every morning. I've watched the just weight melt right off her over the past few months, while she eats great big Chipotle burritos for lunch.

I don't know if that would work for me though. Of course an hour running outside in the winter burns a ton of calories!

Yeah but you said her diet didn;t change at all - as in she has always ate giant Chipotle burritos which means that she is creating a deficit from the exercise. The article was saying that a bunch of the people added a burrito as a post work out treat and that is why they gain or only maintain.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Well if she's averaging a 11 min mile pace, she's running 5.5 miles every day. You're talking about 800 calories every day that she can work with.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important I think. If you lose weight with no exercise, you wont gain muscle. Lean muscle mass is important the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest alone. So yes exercise is important when it comes to weight loss.

You can lose weight just by dieting---but why lose weight if you wont gain any muscle. Muscle is what makes you appear smaller, more cut, lean, etcc.. ( whatever word you wanna use).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    is the point of this post to convince someone they dont have to exercise or to give yourself an excuse to not exercise? I dont understand.

exercise is what our bodies were meant to do (or do physical work)
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't by any means speak for everyone but I have a friend who lost OVER 140LBS last year and she did NO exercise! No gym, none of it. Just eating.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    is the point of this post to convince someone they dont have to exercise or to give yourself an excuse to not exercise? I dont understand.

exercise is what our bodies were meant to do (or do physical work)

Nah, just a reminder that going to the gym isn't a fix-all. If you need to lose you will still have to work at the food part.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    why lose weight if you wont gain any muscle. Muscle is what makes you appear smaller, more cut, lean, etcc..

Well, LOTS of reasons. Seriously, do you really think this? Weight loss is good for you. Exercise is too, but losing excess weight, even without exercise VASTLY improves your health. And, the lack of fat also makes you look 'smaller' and 'more cut' because there actually are muscles under all that fat, after all.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I spent two years in the gym working out like a fiend and lost inches and sizes but no real weight. After I hit a certain size, I simply maintained.

I ate like CRAP but worked out like crazy, but at the same time, I created a love of working out and I am super fit...under the flab, that is.

All I have to worry about now is my diet; my workouts are still 6 days a week and super intense, but the portion control is shedding the fat rather nicely.

Pounds really are lost in the kitchen -- too bad it took me two years to figure that out, or I would have been at my goal a year and a half ago!!