Working out and STILL gaining weight?

Options
I'm so frustrated. I've been working out hardcore for about 2 weeks, and I went from losing a couple lbs to gaining 10! I'm eating relatively well (due to lack of funds, not able to eat all that I want...sucks that bad food is cheaper). I see a different in some parts of my body but my midsection is still flabby and I'm getting a little depressed about gaining the weight. Help?!

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    throw away the scale, watch, and calendar...two weeks is a drop in the bucket. keep at it, make sure you are eating enough (dont know what your calorie goal is), and drink plenty of water...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're working out hardcore, it might be fluid retention from all the exercise. Give it time, get plenty of fluids, and take rest days.

Also take measurements and photos to better gauge your progress than the scale. The scale is a back-stabbing b-word.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Also take measurements and photos to better gauge your progress than the scale. The scale is a back-stabbing b-word.

^^^This.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    All that scale knows is the effect of gravitational pull on your body and nothing else. It knows nothing about your body composition or fitness level. Don't less this discourage you. This isn't abnormal. Your body will retain water to help with muscular restructure as well as the 'shock' it is going through getting used to the demands you are now asking of it. Eventually, your body will go 'Oh, OK I get it ... I have this figured out!" and your results will be consistent. Weight is something people focus on, thinking that is the magic goal. But truly, fitness and strength are much more important to your long-term health. So, tell the scale to pack sand and do what is good for your body and it will thank you!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tony_eldridge
    Options
    Great for you on working out! As you do, your body will create "heavier" muscles while shedding "lighter" fat. Your muscles will also burn more calories, even at rest. Your weight loss may slow for a while, but you should see the fat start to melt off your body. At some point, things will come into balance and you will continue to build muscle, ramp up your metabolism, and see the scales start to move in the direction you want. Hang in there, you're laying the right groundwork now.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Great for you on working out! As you do, your body will create "heavier" muscles while shedding "lighter" fat. Your muscles will also burn more calories, even at rest. Your weight loss may slow for a while, but you should see the fat start to melt off your body. At some point, things will come into balance and you will continue to build muscle, ramp up your metabolism, and see the scales start to move in the direction you want. Hang in there, you're laying the right groundwork now.

No offense, but you don't gain 10 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks. It's a ludicrous suggestion.

OP, it's water retention, to aid in recovery. It's normal.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Your body hates you because you probably aren't feeding it enough and are working it out too hard. Take it easy and then throw the scale out the window and cry hysterically. Make friends with a tape measure since it's a more reliable friend and doesn't fluctuate with the lunar cycle.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Spend the extra money on the GOOD food. It cost me a lot more but it's well worth it. I saw a quote that made perfect sense "You cannot workout a bad diet." It takes both .. so the scale probably isn't moving because of what you are putting your body :) Good luck!
  • lifening
    lifening Posts: 9
    Options
    This is an interesting topic because it happened to me once. What I found that works for me is when I first go on a weight loss routine I don't work out. I focus on my diet and I ensure that diet alone is responsible for 2 or pounds a week of weight loss. Once that system is in place, I begin working out, without changing my diet. Then the pounds just fall off easily.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Set the scale on fire.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    All that scale knows is the effect of gravitational pull on your body and nothing else. It knows nothing about your body composition or fitness level. Don't less this discourage you. This isn't abnormal. Your body will retain water to help with muscular restructure as well as the 'shock' it is going through getting used to the demands you are now asking of it. Eventually, your body will go 'Oh, OK I get it ... I have this figured out!" and your results will be consistent. Weight is something people focus on, thinking that is the magic goal. But truly, fitness and strength are much more important to your long-term health. So, tell the scale to pack sand and do what is good for your body and it will thank you!

^^ That!

Also.... you gained 10 pounds in two weeks? Or one week? There's got to be something else going on. 10 pounds = 35,000 calories... which is insane. Maybe you've got water retention and such happening. Unless you're eating triple cheeseburgers, fries, and chocolate milkshakes 5 times a day?
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    your body is 20% exercise and 80% food, if you do not eat the right food, exercising will not make it better. there is a lot of truth in "you are what you eat". This advice came to me from a friend who is a hardcore runner and had just finished the Atlanta 100K. He also is a nutritionist.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so you can get some help. You can't exercise your way to weight loss. No matter what anyone says! Diet is 80+% of the equation.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight, but gained in the middle. I can tell in my pants. I don't need a belt anymore. LOL. It's because I had to give up strength training for a while. So, I'm losing muscle, and my body is shifting and changing. So, I'm losing, but it doesn't look like it at all.

Once I'm back into strength training, in a few months, I'll probably see my weight go up again, and my waist shrink...at least I hope so. :wink: So, the scale isn't that big of a deal. I don't agree with throwing it out. If I did that, I wouldn't know this about myself; that my weight loss right now makes me look bigger and flabbier. Fat weighs less.

But, you're right. Good healthful food cost more than cheap food. That is not an accident, at all. I don't think it will ever change. So, you have to pick your goods and bads.

Watch for sales on whole chicken. I got one for $3 a few weeks ago. Actually, I bought a couple of them. I cook them one night, and have chicken and brown rice. Then, I take all the chicken off the bone, and save it for sandwiches and stuff. Then, I use the carcass to make chicken soup. You can almost eat for a week from one chicken. The chicken was $3, then you just buy potato, carrots, celery and things like that for cheap to add to it. It's possible to eat well for cheap, you just have to really get into it.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    [quote

But, you're right. Good healthful food cost more than cheap food. That is not an accident, at all. I don't think it will ever change. So, you have to pick your goods and bads.

Watch for sales on whole chicken. I got one for $3 a few weeks ago. Actually, I bought a couple of them. I cook them one night, and have chicken and brown rice. Then, I take all the chicken off the bone, and save it for sandwiches and stuff. Then, I use the carcass to make chicken soup. You can almost eat for a week from one chicken. The chicken was $3, then you just buy potato, carrots, celery and things like that for cheap to add to it. It's possible to eat well for cheap, you just have to really get into it.
    [/quote]

Absolutely!! I have been on a crazy amazing training program gearing up for my first marathon, and nutrition is EVERYTHING!! While I have not seen ANY results in the scale in the last 4 weeks of training, I FEEL my body changing, the muscles are leaning out, my core is shrinking, and my legs are getting a run for their money (pun intended)!

My boyfriend has become an organic agriculturist in the last year or so once he realized the difference in the quality of food. Regardless of the price, you WILL pay for it one way or the other: either in doctor bills and loss of productivity, or just buy the food you know is good for you!

Try a local grocers/restaurant supply warehouse. We get most of our meat, lunchmeat, and cheeses here... also a fair price on produce. You get a lot more for your money.
  • jp0623
    jp0623 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump