Chicken Sausage?

Options
I grew up in a red meat eating house, and I've been trying to find healthier alternatives. I've started integrating turkey into my diet in place of red meat (turkey tacos, turkey burgers, etc.) but I've always been curious about chicken sausage. I don't think turkey tastes very different from red meat when seasoned properly, so I was wondering if chicken sausage is similar. Like does it taste similar to beef sausage or does it have a distinct chicken taste?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste much different
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's pretty tasty, especially since they usually mix in things like peppers, tomato and cheese. Very good sliced and sauteed with veggies for burrito filling
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have found some that I really like. Target's house brand has a red-pepper asiago cheese chicken sausage that is pretty darn good. I can't remember the other brand, but there's a garlic and mozzerella one that I really like, too. Its relatively low in calories for what you consume, and is great if you need a protein boost.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    it tastes a LOT different to me. It's good, though.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just tried this the other day. It was really good. I cooked it in a frying pan....but I used Nature's Promise cooking spray only.....does that still count as frying? Anywho, one link was 130 calories. It was delicious....my only complaint is the sodium! ....400mg- ish
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I love anything made with ground chicken. I think it tastes milder than ground turkey and I like the texture better too. Chicken sausage rock! They make them with cheese and spinach in them too...........mmmmmmm..:bigsmile:
  • BonnieSeelinger
    BonnieSeelinger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love it. Johnsonville makes a great apple chicken sausage. I pair mine with roasted yukon gold potatoes and veggies. I also like to keep them in my fridge for quick lunches (work/and home).
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I really like chicken sausages much nice than pork ones.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have found some that I really like. Target's house brand has a red-pepper asiago cheese chicken sausage that is pretty darn good. I can't remember the other brand, but there's a garlic and mozzerella one that I really like, too. Its relatively low in calories for what you consume, and is great if you need a protein boost.

Maybe Adelle's?
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I order ones from where I work. Unsure of what brand they are. But they are Chicken and Apple sausage. They are Really good. I also get Turkey and Cranberry sausage.
    Such a unique Flavor, So Much better then Beef or Pork sausage. I Roast them in hte oven. So Delish!
  • lexie2005
    lexie2005 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Asda turkey sausages are really lovely!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Some very delicious chicken sausage on the market and chicken burgers as well. Look for ones with ingredients you also like like carmelized onions, cheese etc...
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love them. My favorite is also the Chicken Apple sausage (Adele's is the brand I usually get). My favorite recipe using them is to take an apple, slice it up and cook in a frying pan with 2 tsp EVOO along with some vidalia onion. Once they are cooked to your preferred level of crispness (or mushiness depending on what you like), I then take a low fat flour tortilla and place one sausage (can be sliced or kept whole), the apple/onion mix, and 1 TBSP low fat shredded cheddar jack cheese. SO GOOD!

I also recently tried the Al Fresco Chipotle Chorizo with Mango - that was good too! And they have coupons on their website if you wanted to give them a try!
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe Adelle's?

Hmmm could be. That sound familiar!

And I should also say that you do have to flip over the package. The ones I usually get are between 90-110 calories per sausage. I saw some at the store last week that I thought sounded great, until I flipped it over. It was 180 or 190 per sausage. I had to double-check that it was *chicken* sausage. Made me wonder what else they stuck in there!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I like Jennie-O turkey sausage. I also like Hillshire Farm Chicken Hardwood Smoked Sausage or Turkey Kielbasa.
  • dawnmfp
    dawnmfp Posts: 25
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, check out some of their sausages made with chicken and turkey. Very tasty!