Some easy *healthy* foods that you can just grab and go?

Options
I'm a mom of a 2 and a half year old, so we are always on the go! Especially with the warmer weather approaching, I like to get her out a lot to do things, plus I like the exercise. Usually whenever I'm in a rush I'll try to grab a banana or a granola bar if I'm feeling hungry. What are some foods you would recommend that are healthy and that could aid in my weight loss that are easy to grab or make pretty fast? Thanks!! xx

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Kashi bars are usually better than regular granola bars.
    I do a lot of things in snack bags.

Pretzels, carrots, celery apple slices. Homemade muffins
    It is hard for me to not snack on all the kids snacks while at the park so I do always make sure I pack myself a snack.
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    I've never tried any of the Kashi products, but I have wanted to! :) And I understand what you mean, I usually just eat what she eats but now I'm making 2 separate meals and trying to grab other snacks for me.
    Kashi bars are usually better than regular granola bars.
    I do a lot of things in snack bags.

Pretzels, carrots, celery apple slices. Homemade muffins
    It is hard for me to not snack on all the kids snacks while at the park so I do always make sure I pack myself a snack.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Carrots, protein bars, some nuts (just a small amount, water and coffee.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Apples, Bannanas, Grapes, Yogurt (in an Insulated Lunch bag!) Carrots, Raw Carrot Chips, Sliced Bell Peppers, Milk, and V-8 Juice
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I always have a bag of almonds in my purse and a Clif mojo bar. If I can plan ahead a little bit, I buy the Supreme Protein carb conscious peanut butter bars and freeze them and grab one when I'm gonna be out for a bit. It thaws out enough you're not gonna break a tooth but it's still chewy and good and it's like a good for you candy bar!
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    Thanks!! :)
    Carrots, protein bars, some nuts (just a small amount, water and coffee.
  • dawnmfp
    dawnmfp Posts: 25
    Options
    All the above plus string cheese, mini rice cakes.
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    Never thought of V8 juice! Yumm I haven't had that in forever!
    Apples, Bannanas, Grapes, Yogurt (in an Insulated Lunch bag!) Carrots, Raw Carrot Chips, Sliced Bell Peppers, Milk, and V-8 Juice
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    I've actually never had almonds. I love pistachios but I figure those aren't good because of all the salt. I'll have to look for those protein bars, they sounds really good too!! I love putting stuff like that in the freezer lol.
    I always have a bag of almonds in my purse and a Clif mojo bar. If I can plan ahead a little bit, I buy the Supreme Protein carb conscious peanut butter bars and freeze them and grab one when I'm gonna be out for a bit. It thaws out enough you're not gonna break a tooth but it's still chewy and good and it's like a good for you candy bar!
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    Thanks!! :)
    All the above plus string cheese, mini rice cakes.
  • Krister0506
    Options
    Pistachios actually have less calories than almonds...well that was the case with the ones I looked at. I eat lots of fruits, like clementines, grapes, peaches, apples. They are easy to grab and eat :) Good luck!

I've actually never had almonds. I love pistachios but I figure those aren't good because of all the salt. I'll have to look for those protein bars, they sounds really good too!! I love putting stuff like that in the freezer lol.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Almonds, nuts, trail mixes (you can buy them in snack packs, but it is easier/cheaper making your own with little snack bags)
    Yogurt cups
    Dried fruit
    Pretzel sticks
    Apples
    Luna Bars (DELICIOUS 70% organic nutrition bars.)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Oh yea I love the 100calorie packs of almonds.
    I also eat a lot of light string cheese.
    I love Kashi. I eat their go lean original cereal because it is high in protein and fiber but lower in sugar.
    Oh and my new craving has been Luna bars.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make packed lunches the night before? Make a few healthy wraps or sandwiches. A few low fat and low sugar yoghurts, protein bars, low sugar fruits like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. Get out there, have a little picnic or something. Boil some eggs as well if you want, good protein source and a nice little snack. Take a few slices of lean ham.
  • Krister0506
    Options
    Why don't you make packed lunches the night before? Make a few healthy wraps or sandwiches. A few low fat and low sugar yoghurts, protein bars, low sugar fruits like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. Get out there, have a little picnic or something. Boil some eggs as well if you want, good protein source and a nice little snack. Take a few slices of lean ham.

When you say wraps....what all do you add to them and what kind of wrap do you buy? I have heard a lot of people discuss this, but I have never tried it. Any advice would be much appreciated :) I am tired of eating the same dang thing! Also the Luna Bars, where do you get these and what are the best flavors?
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    Thank you all soo much! I'll def. be making up a grocery list and going out once my daughter wakes up from her nap to buy some of these goodies! :))
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    I did have one other question though. While my daughter naps I make myself 2 sunnyside up eggs for lunch everyday. Is that too many eggs to have everyday?
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm currently obsessed with almonds. I preportion them in snack sized bags so I don't overeat. The cocoa roasted ones are so yummy. It's a sweet treat but it's also SO filling. It definitely keeps me satisfied longer than a snack bar would for a few more calories (but way more nutrition)
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    water foods like apples, pears, celery, ... string cheese (low fat)... things that you naturally find in the grocery that don't need prep time, just wash and eat! :)
  • BonnieSeelinger
    BonnieSeelinger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work part time and chase two energetic kids around. I always have the following on hand:

Dry Roasted Unsalted Almonds
    Raw Sugar Snap Peas
    Carrot Sticks, Celery Sticks
    Low Sodium V8
    Pita Chips and Red Pepper Hummus (easy to grab and go if you plan ahead and portion it in small tupperware)
    All Natural Berry Fruit Leathers
    Fresh Fruit (Grapes) Also easy to grab and go if you plan ahead and portion it in small snack bags
    Natural (No sugar added) Applecause Cups
    Boiled Eggs (I love those too!)

I can't stand the texture or price of protein bars so...................... not for me. Lol.............. Also I am a recovering cheese addict so I am avoiding the string cheese. If I head down that road.............. there is no turning back.

Keep it all in one spot in a basket in the fridge/ and cupboard. That way you can literally grab what you want and go.