Zumba?

I've heard really good things about this and am looking for thoughts on the best video and/or Wii game for someone who has never done it. I also have problems with one of my hips after I exercise...will this hurt it?

Replies

• maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    I have bought the DVD and got bored really fast. If you are a person who has a short attention span like me, I would suggest an actual class as its totally interactive and doesnt get boring.

I have had knee and hip surgery and I make modifications as I go along in the class. My first ever class was this past Saturday and I have gone back twice already. Granted, I have to ice my knees when I am done, but with the modifications the pain or discomfort is minimal. I listen to my body is telling me and not what the teacher wants every one to do.

My first class I burned 692 calories.
  • I really don't enjoy working out, but Zumba is so much fun that I keep going back. It doesn't seem like a "workout" to me as I am constantly smiling and laughing (mostly at myself cause I can't dance) and it's overall a great time. At the end of the class the sweat just pours off of me, so it must be doing something right! You should really try a class first before trying out a video game or DVD because the atmosphere is really what makes it fun and enjoyable and if you're having troubles with the steps you can see what modifications others around you have come up!

Hope this helped a bit!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    The problem I have is that I don't have time to get to a gym. So I'm looking for something I can do at home at around 5 am. That's pretty much my workout time.
  • candace_ndiaye
    candace_ndiaye Posts: 23 Member
    Personally, I love Zumba. There are classes I can take around town, but I usually do it at home with the DVD set because I'm a business owner and thus have a crazy schedule. There are about 5 discs total, including a Basic/How To program. I highly recommend doing this for the first 3-4 times at least, just to be familiar with the steps, as you could totally trip yourself up if you don't know the moves.

I don't have hip problems, but I do have knee problems, and as much as I would love to do it 5 days a week, my knees can't take it. I do it three days a week with a day off in between doing something low impact if anything (like swimming for example), otherwise I have alot of pain. You could always ice your knees as someone else mentioned, but I don't think I'm that committed :).

If you have knee and hip concerns, or try it and find it doesn't work for you, I highly recommend adding a swimming routine to your regimen. It's low impact because of the water, and if you're doing laps, you can definitely take the weight off. I swam competitively for several years so I can promise you that if you're eating well and do the swimming consistently, it WILL work.

Also, sometimes building up the muscles behind and around the knees helps to reduce or eliminate knee pain, so if it's something you're into, yoga is a great, low-impact way to do this. Plus you could do this at home while others are sleeping pretty easily.

I'd say try it out and see if you like it. It seems like most either love it or hate it, but I really enjoy it. I mix up which one of the Zumba workouts I do so I don't get bored. Depending on how much you like it, there are more on the Zumba site you can purchase seperately. It's a really good workout, gets the blood pumping. I recommend it.

Hope this helps!

Candace
  • kwortham
    kwortham Posts: 48 Member
    I have the Wii Zumba 2 and I love it! I have taken classes before, but I don't have the same kind of time to go to them, so the game works out great. You don't have to hold a remote, the music is good, and the graphics are great! There are also different levels and class time lengths and intensities. I think you will like it.