Ughghghghgh!

Options
i always lose all my energy and initiative to go to the gym right around 2-3:00... :grumble:

i'm outta work at 4, and i go afterwards.. but i always have to push myself. :sad: i sit at a desk all day.

what are some tips and tricks you guys do to get that energy back!?:yawn:

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Personally I go for my walk first thing in the morning that way if I dont' feel like it after work I don't feel as guilty and if I can force myself to do it then I get twice the workout! It may just be me but I figure, do it as soon as I can (morning) that way nothing gets in the way of me doing it!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Can you get up really early and go to the gym first? If I don't go in the morning, I don't go at all...:blushing:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I would say to go in the mornings if you can.

I get my energy back by poppy feel good songs. I know I'm a little weird hehe, but it works for me.
    Also, what do you generally eat for lunch? Maybe you are eating something that is zapping your energy and you could switch it out for something that will keep your energy going strong through the afternoon/evening.
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i'd rather go after work than get up at 4:30/5:00 am. :yawn: but i guess i wouldnt be that tired throughout the day though, due to the energy the gym would give me.

i just like the gym after work, i get there at 4:30 and watch the last half of Ellen (love her!:laugh: ) then switch to MTV and watch a show on there, so i'm done by 5:30, home around 5:50, get dinner done, la de da.. (just rambling now.)

but i just need some hints for that second wind! :grumble:
  • shaleah77
    shaleah77 Posts: 89
    Options
    Same here! If i don't make it in the morning...I won't go. My husband and I get up at 3:55am :grumble: because he has to be at work by 6:30am :grumble: I still go to bed somewhere between 10:30pm and midnight ....trying to change that, short of benedryl, sleep aids or supplements!
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    I'm at a desk all day too! I find my day is much better when I workout in the morning before work. By doing this, I have to get up at 4:15, because I start work at 7, but it works for me. I find I have so much more energy throughout the day...
    I realize you are trying to figure out how to get your energy BACK so that you can workout out LATER in the day......... This is just what I do so I have energy to just last the entire day!! LOL
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for your after lunch snack? Maybe tweak that a bit and see if you can get a boost. Drinking a glass of ice water perks me up- never thought I'd say that! It used to take two red bulls. ha.
  • MRSWESSON
    MRSWESSON Posts: 107
    Options
    i always lose all my energy and initiative to go to the gym right around 2-3:00... :grumble:

i'm outta work at 4, and i go afterwards.. but i always have to push myself. :sad: i sit at a desk all day.

what are some tips and tricks you guys do to get that energy back!?:yawn:

:sad: I have the same issue, I sit all day aside from going up and down stairs a couple times and am practically asleep on my way to the gym. My Mom works out with me so luckily if I am toooo demotivated or tired to go she makes me :flowerforyou: so once I get moving I wake up after a good 5 minutes, but if it were not for her pushing me to go when I am totally beat I would soooo skip sooo often:grumble: THANK GOD FOR MOMMA! :love:
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    once you are into the am gym routine -- it is easier. And you willl be at work and you get tired and think oh man, i still have to work out -- the best feeling is when you think HA I already did!!!!
    And more energy in the day...

THE HARDEST PART OF GETTING UP THAT EARLY FOR THE GYM IS THE PHYSICAL ACT OF MOVING YOUR BODY FROM POINT A TO POINT B -- I.E. LAYING IN BED TO WALKING OUT DOOR...

Also, I sleep in my gym clothes -- not full gear, but in the shorts and tank i wear so i literally just roll out.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i was in the same exact boat. I have a desk job and by the time i get home i am pooped. I started going in the morning and i haven't missed a workout since. Yeah... i have to get up earlier but it all evens out in the end. I have more time when i get home toplan a good meal and run errands if i need to
  • Buttonnose
    Buttonnose Posts: 76
    Options
    I too am a sit at work all day and find it hard to go to the gym after work. You just want to go home and relax. I see a lot of people agree that going to the gym first thing in the morning works...and I have to agree with them. But I find I don't like rushing there and then back home. Have you ever thought about just getting some sort of cardio machine for home use and getting up half hour earlier just to do it at home. Then maybe scale back on the gym and use it only for strength training. If you can start using the machine at home in the morning you might find your motivation to get to the gym in the AM might pick up.

During the summer I can't stand the gym...I would prefer to be at home working out or going for a walk as like I said I am stuck in a building all day sitting. I want to get outside and be active.

Well that is my input...a machine at home where you can do your cardio in the AM. Gets you started on the right track for the day without having to get up too early and without having to leave your house. Don't have to fix your hair or whatever you do as no one will see you.

Good luck in finding the answer for yourself.
    Button
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to get out of bed in the morning so I do my workout after supper. This way I have enough energy to get it done. Maybe you need to have a snack before going to workout to recharge the battery some. The lull may be happening because of what lunch consists of. Like any routine you sometimes just have to make yourself do it.:flowerforyou:
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i usually force myself.. as soon as i change in my work bathroom, i'm energized. lol. but if that doesnt work, i drive there and tell myself i have to.. i just hate the lull.

...thats a funny word.. "lull."

:laugh:
  • totallytasha
    totallytasha Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Yay, desk jobs! I'm thinking of how much I'm going to do at the gym that night, and by the time 5 rolls around I just thing, meh, tomorrow.

What I've started doing is pushups and planks and stuff in the bathroom when I go, so that little exercises inspire bigger exercises.

And for an extra cheat I have some nice cookies at home that I only allow myself to eat if I go, hehe.

Packing my workout clothes and taking them to work with me also helps. If I have to go home and change, I probably won't leave home.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    I do it in the morning before I go to work. Probably at 5:30am I start at home on my elliptical, or with a Tony Horton DVD. I rarely miss a workout. Then, I go to work and sit at my desk job until about 11:30am (Young & Restless soap opera fan here). At 11:30am I go to the fitness center at work and I squeeze in 20 minutes more.

My motivation on day s that I don't want to go is this.....I tell myself "YOU HAVE TO DO 20 Min." If after 20 min I want to quit, I can but I have a commitment to 20min. minimum. Normally, after 20min. I do my entire workout.

I do lack motivation AFTER work. I want to sit and do nothing until bedtime but, we try to get a walk in or something.
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    Maybe you need a heathly snack, maybe you're tired and rundown and need a little boast? Perhaps if you could hook up and go with someone it would feel more like an apointment.... or maybe you need to reward yourself for going and give yourself little treats, like picking up a magazine that would could read while you work out. I think even something small would pick you up - have a friend or someone you can talk to when you're feeling like not going, they can help reason out why it's important to hit the gym! Good luck!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Try not to even entertain the thought of not going.....I can do just about anything if I just don't think there is an alternative. But it's when I start saying, welllll, maybe I can skip it today. If I don't go I can still watch Ellen from the comfort of my couch....STOP THOSE THOUGHTS. Just tell yourself each morning that you're going to go after work, and don't think another thing of it.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Have a coffee about 20 minutes before you leave... the caffeine will give you a boost.

Or do as most say and what I do. Go in the morning. Anything else you do in the day is just gravy
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I workout after work. What I do is eat a snack with both protein and carbs about 1.5 - 2 hours before my workout. I take my "gear" to work with me and have a workout buddy. We meet at the gym right after work and before motivation decreases.

I also load audio books on to my mp3 player and I only listen to them while working out. Just one more thing to keep me wanting to go to the gym. Gym has upbeat music blaring, so I'm still getting that too.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Lots of people feel low around 2-3 in the afternoon. I've been known to nod off at my desk. When I get home from work around 5pm, my dog gives me those big sad eyes that say "take me for a walk - pleeeaaase". I have to drag myself to do it but afterward I feel much better and have energy to do more.