NSV C25k - Today I ran a 5k

Options
tuffhd
tuffhd Posts: 9 Member
Today I ran a 5k without stopping. I’m slow, it took me 42 minutes, but I finished without any breaks.

I started MFP the first part of January and the C25k program about a week later. My starting weight was 240 and my current is at 225.

I downloaded the free version of C25k Lite onto my Droid phone and because of the cold weather, I started on a treadmill. The 9 week program was easy to follow and starts off with very easy jogging\walking intervals that get progressively get longer each week. In the beginning, I think the thing that helped me the most was that when I was watching the interval timer, it distracted my brain just enough that I didn’t have to think about the running so much. I knew that I only had to run for one more minute or just another 30 seconds. That made the running intervals feel achievable.

The program itself is only to be done 3 days per week, but I would go back and redo some of the easier days on my ‘off days’ to reach my daily exercise goals.

Week 5 Day 3 is when this thing gets serious, it starts with a 5 minute walking warm up, then jog for 20 minutes. I never thought I’d be able to do that, but when the time came, I was ready. I actually surprised myself.
Week 7 and 8 were really tough for me because I transitioned from the treadmill to running outside. I didn’t think about it before hand, but running outside is way harder than on a treadmill.

So, here it is, the end of Week 9, I did my 5k, outside, no stopping, and I feel great!

Replies

• EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am running one this weekend! I did the same program.

I will agree outside and treadmill are two different worlds.

Good for you! Keep going!
  • dcashin90
    dcashin90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is so much harder running outside! It's a great feeling when you finally get there. Keep it up and believe me you'll be running 10K in no time.
  • kokominkayka
    kokominkayka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My goal is to do the same thing...no stopping 5k.
  • garp4
    garp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Congratulations. I cannot wait till I am there! On week 4 right now.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment since January. Can't wait til I can say the same thing :smile:
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing!! Im on W1D2! not looking forward to next week cause im dying this week! And only jogging 90 sec intervals! Ugh! But i will hang in there cause i love the calorie burn!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Congratulations on your accomplishment!
  • jenniejoy07
    jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing!! Im on W1D2! not looking forward to next week cause im dying this week! And only jogging 90 sec intervals! Ugh! But i will hang in there cause i love the calorie burn!

W1D2 is 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking! Maybe that's why it's so hard!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5K, 42 min might not get you a spot on the Olympic team but that doesn't matter, you crossed the finish line - that's all that counts!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have done one 5K just walking (pushing my 2 year old in the stroller), but I'm hoping to do a 5K here soon running. I never did the Couch to 5K, just started slowly running on my own outside. Today was my first day of running 5 miles without stopping. It's an awesome feeling, isn't it?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing job...congrats and AWESOME KUDOS TO YOU MY FRIEND! I did C25K in the fall of 2010, ran my first 5K race in December 2010 and just ran in my first marathon this past weekend. So, this really can be just the beginning!
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Absolutely AWESOME!!!! I did my first 5K last summer. Now I'm training for a half-marathon. I bet you'll be doing that soon!!!! :)
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What a terrific accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself! Very motivating! Keep up the good work! You will find that 5K's can be very addicting! WTG!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Flippin' brilliant.

I've just started the C25K thing -- did Week 2, Day 2 today -- and loving it so far.

Thanks for the inspiration. :drinker:
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Fantastic ! ! I can't wait until I can say that ! ! What an amazing accomplishment to RUN the WHOLE THING ! ! Awesome ! !

I've just recently downloaded the C25k Lite for my android, and am just on week one... but it's amazing that I feel pretty good with it and my knees aren't giving me problems - I'm SO HAPPY ! ! Years ago I ran a bit with a friend, but she moved away, and then I stopped. But even back then, I still walked some in the 5K races I entered - but I was just happy to finish. I'm hoping this program will help me get to the point where I can run without stopping.

Your post has given me hope... Thanks ! !
  • tuffhd
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

My buddy and I signed up for a 4 mile run for this Saturday, March 10th. We looked for a 5k to celebrate the completion of our C25k, but this 4 mile run was the closest one to our completion date.

I'll let you all know how that goes.. maybe I'll surprise myself again.

I'm going to have to lose about 40 more pounds to run a half... maybe late fall, we'll see.
  • spudman1232
    Options
    That is awesome!! What does c25k mean?
  • tuffhd
    Options
    Couch to 5k. Give it a go!
  • kritik
    kritik Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I just started the C25K last week. Great to see that you have had such success!!! Congrats!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5K, 42 min might not get you a spot on the Olympic team but that doesn't matter, you crossed the finish line - that's all that counts!

^^This X1000! Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!